Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:22:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 659
Total: 659

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: OMG - number 6 is on the way.......  (Read 8472 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
OMG - number 6 is on the way.......
« on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »
Yes, that is grandchild number 6 -- all from my one and only daughter.

OK -- some of you may remember that my daughter had a close call with #5 (Gabriel) a couple years ago.  He was very premature and it was touch and go.  She had a hard time and was in different hospital from the baby for a few days (no NICU where she delivered, so he was moved, but she couldn't be). 
Her doctor was clear that her body should not go through another pregnancy -- all of her children have been born via C-section and her insides are loaded with scar tissue.
So -- I am greeting this news with very mixed emotions.  I love all my grandkids, but I fear for what could happen here.  I don't want these kids to lose their mother and I certainly don't want to lose my only child.  So, I'm excited, scared and, frankly, pissed off -- all at the same time here.
Oh -- and she didn't even tell me -- I found out from a Facebook post!!! No doubt she is hoping that I will get over my initial "WTF moment" before we speak.  I suppose that is actually pretty smart of her -- though I'm sure that I would not have gone off on her.  I've always met each pregnancy with enthusiasm (even when I was worried over some of them).
Of course, what's done is done -- she is due in mid-Aug, which means she will probably deliver in July, she has had all of them early (hopefully no earlier).

Anyway -- needed to get this out before I speak with her.  My fear for her (and the baby's) safety is almost overwhelming me right now -- I simply can't shake this bad feeling.

Mike

Offline mitch777

Re: OMG - number 6 is on the way.......
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:16:50 pm »
Well, congratulations in advance. I hope for everyone's sake that your bad feeling is just that.

hugs,
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:44 am »
Mike, I remember your daughter's last delivery and the trauma involved with that.  And I can also relate, having only one child, a daughter, myself. 

What I will say is, when my daughter makes a big decision, such as having another child, or whatever, I try to be as supportive as possible.  Luckily I have friends I can vent my frustration, concern, etc., to.  If I do it to her, I risk isolating.  Not that I'm perfect with this.  But it seems to work.

I understand your concern.  Vent here.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:48:02 am »
Yes, that is grandchild number 6 -- all from my one and only daughter.

I found out from a Facebook post!!! No doubt she is hoping that I will get over my initial "WTF moment" before we speak. 

Anyway -- needed to get this out before I speak with her.  My fear for her (and the baby's) safety is almost overwhelming me right now -- I simply can't shake this bad feeling.

Mike

First off, a sincere congratulations.  Your concern for the safety of the baby and your daughter is certainly valid based on some of the issues that occurred when Gabriel was born. 

All we can do is hope for the best and I have a hunch your daughter will do her part to make this a better 'birthing' experience.  She remembers the trauma and I would feel certain its nothing she would want to repeat. 

In a few years, get them to take a (Brady Bunch) style photo with YOU and Sid sharing the center block! 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:03 am »
((((((Mike)))))) I totally understand your trepidation and mixed emotions.

I'm wondering if total bed-rest in the final month(s) and a scheduled C-section might be in order. I hope everything goes well! I'm sure you'll keep us posted and you'll all be in my thoughts. Hang in there mate.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:00:57 am »
You and your family are in my thoughts . I know the mixed emotions and how conflicted it can make you feel as I had a WTF moment with a pregnant family member recently but its not the same since its not my child ... but I did have a hard time being as enthusiastic as the others that were hearing the news for the first time on facebook including her mom .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
Thanks all -- the venting out was really needed.  While I know my daughter is capable of handling another child, she is a fantastic mother and nothing is more important to her than being a mother, I just get a sense that she is ignoring the risks that a pregnancy creates for HER BODY right now. 

Betty -- thanks -- I know that this decision is hers and I do risk isolating myself from her and her family if I am anything but enthusiastic here.  Though at some point AFTER the baby arrives, I may try and talk about how it might be more important that her 6 kids have a mother around vs. her having a 7th.  Though she has always said that 6 was a "good number of kids" to her. 

She will now have 3 of each (this one is a girl), so a Brady Bunch shot is likely to be a reality at some point.

Ann - a planned C-section will happen - except for number 1 (Jarrett), they have all been planned - though she's always gone earlier than even that.  Bed rest would be a good idea, but she has 5 children!  Her husband works 12 hour shifts AND she home-schools the kids, so even if a doctor ordered it, I know her stubborn nature and she would not listen.  (not sure WHERE she got that stubborn streak......)  She has no real close friends down there, as her life revolves around her family.  Her in-laws are the only family nearby -- and they lost her father-in-law to lung cancer ~6weeks ago.  Perhaps her mother-in-law can provide a little more assistance this time, though I'm not sure how she is doing since losing her husband.

At any rate -- thanks again to all, I will just be the loving dad and grandpa and hope for the best.  Nothing productive comes out projecting outcomes -- especially when I'm powerless over what happens.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:56:36 pm »
Understand all your feelings , I am just reading your post and I took an intake off breath and felt a twinge off anxiety , so however you look at it as you say there is nowt to be done by spending the time running worries . Good luck with it all and best wishes to your daughter.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »
Congratulations Meemaw!

I know you are concerned and I certainly understand. We can only hope for the best, and send up prayers (if you do that)  ;)

Hugs
-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
Betty -- thanks -- I know that this decision is hers and I do risk isolating myself from her and her family if I am anything but enthusiastic here.  Though at some point AFTER the baby arrives, I may try and talk about how it might be more important that her 6 kids have a mother around vs. her having a 7th.  Though she has always said that 6 was a "good number of kids" to her. 

Oh, totally wouldn't blame you for speaking with her after this baby.  I can't believe she's going to have 3 of each-WOW!  She must have a lot of patience.

We can only hope for the best, and send up prayers, (if you do that).

Hugs
-Will

It doesn't matter if he does it, if you do it, then do it! (no disrespect Mike).   Of course we're all hoping for the best outcome, which is not only a happy, healthy baby, but a healthy, happy mama.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 04:32:29 pm »

I hope everything goes smoothly this time Mike.   How many more grandchildren does she plan on giving you?  She's got a basketball team going and only needs a few more for the bench.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
Mike, fingers crossed everyone gets through this waiting period happily and that your fertile daughter decides to call it quits after #6. I concur with Ann's suggestions.

Wonderful having all those little scamps in your life, but jeez louize.  Praying for everyone including you to be well,, buddy.
Andy Velez

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 05:31:15 pm »

How  exciting Mike  :)

I hope all goes well ,   SIX grand kids   !     Now that is cool !

I'm sure all will be fine ,

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline bocker3

Number 6 has arrived!!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »
She has arrived. 

Meet Hannah, born today.   5lbs 14 oz (big for my daughter).

(She doesn't look thrilled to be "outside")

I now have 3 grandsons and 3 granddaughters.

C'mon Wumpy, I'm pulling waaayyyy ahead of you.  Tell your boys to get cracking!!

M

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:21:26 am »
Glad the delivery went well.  I'm sure the womb was much more cozy.  May Hannah have a great, happy, and fulfilled life. 

Offline zach

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 01:26:49 am »
its a baby! such a beautiful little girl, welcome to the world hannah. congratulations mike

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 03:19:54 am »
Happy birthday Hannah, such a beautiful wee girl.

Another 8 and you will have caught up with me Mike. It's good to be a grandparent.  ;D

Aroha to you all
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:35 am »
Congrats Mike, what a precious beauty!  Jan's right, it is great to be a grandparent, which I know you're aware of.

Congrats again!

Betty

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:45 am »
Congratulations Grandpa . I hope you catch up to Jan soon so you can start your own village .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 08:32:20 am »
Congrats! She looks to be a strong little girl from your pic, I trust mom is doing well also. How old is the oldest grandchild?

And Hannah is a beautiful name! :)
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 09:27:11 am »
Congrats grandpa.  Hope both are doing fine.  Perhaps some day I can join the grandpa club my only child so far has been far more sexually responsible than I ever was.  :)  Damn it, he's pushing 30, give a grand baby already.

congrats again buddy
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »
Congrats gramps! Now you have your own Brady Bunch grandkids.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 04:47:37 pm »
Thanks all -- I'm so happy that this birth went off without any complications.  I'm hoping my daughter is done with 6, but something tells me that I'll have a new thread in ~3yrs.

I trust mom is doing well also. How old is the oldest grandchild?
Mom is doing quite well, for someone who just had her 6th C-section.  The oldest will be 14 in November.

Dearest Jan -- if she has another 8,  I will blame YOU!!   :P  Remember, you were a bit more prolific than I was with having children, so all mine are coming from an only child.

Congrats grandpa.  Hope both are doing fine.  Perhaps some day I can join the grandpa club my only child so far has been far more sexually responsible than I ever was.  :)  Damn it, he's pushing 30, give a grand baby already.
congrats again buddy
You sure he knows how it works?  I had my daughter when I was half his age! 

Congrats gramps! Now you have your own Brady Bunch grandkids.
Mitch - I've already ordered a Brady Bunch like picture frame.  I am putting a picture of Sid and I where Alice should be!

Hugs,
M

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 05:34:43 pm »
Good lord granny, 6?? I got some catchin up to do :P

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:52 am »
Mike,

Honestly I have to say, some girls were born to be mothers, and to have six kids between a few months to 14...wow...and all of them C-section...double wow. You must have an amazing daughter.

May you and your family be richly blessed.

Heidi
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Offline bocker3

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 07:57:39 am »
Mike,

Honestly I have to say, some girls were born to be mothers, and to have six kids between a few months to 14...wow...and all of them C-section...double wow. You must have an amazing daughter.

May you and your family be richly blessed.

Heidi

Thank you Heidi, 

She is an amazing mother -- she actually home schools the older ones - so she is with them all 24/7.  she started because the oldest has Asperger's and she decided that if she was going to home school one, she'd do them all. 
I don't know how she does it all -- I love them all, but at the end of a day of visiting, I return to the hotel exhausted.

BTW -- mom and Hannah came home on Monday.  All is good with them and the brood......

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.