Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:03:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 659
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fistula  (Read 6687 times)

Offline krismarco

Fistula
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:26:14 pm »
Hi all, has anyone had a a problem with fistlulas. I have had 5 fistula surgeries in the past and now have another fistula. Just wondering how others dealt with this issue.
10 years Poz
Thanks

Offline wishful

• I am pretty content nowadays..Life is gud..
Re: Fistula
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:02 pm »
ummm what is that?
Live life to the fullest...

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:22:05 pm »
You have had five????  Oh god, I had one, never want another one!
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline krismarco

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »
Hey wishful, heres a link to discrribe fistula. Not a pleasant affliction.

Hi sdcabincrew74, did you have surgery? how did it go. How long ago? How long was your recovery.

Thanks

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:53:36 pm »
I was going to make a joke about "Arabian Fistula" but decided against doing so.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wishful

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »
a link???. ooohh man..cant u just tell me..??

Offline wishful

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:15:32 pm »
noun(1) an abnormal passage that leads from an abscess or hollow organ or part to the body surface or from one hollow organ or part to another and that may be surgically created to permit passage of fluids or secretions et al> (2) fistulous withers

yeah that helps...NOT..

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:35:21 pm »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 05:01:20 am »
Yes, I had surgery to correct it.  It took about three to four weeks to heal.  PM and I can give you all the gory and not so gory details. 

Offline krismarco

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28:28 pm »
Hey wishful, a fistula can occur in different areas of the body. In my case it was next to the rectum. It started out as an abscess in a gland next to the rectum, (infection,pain,swelling) it eventually opened up at the surface draining a fluid. It is a opening or small canal that can lead to the inside of the body that continues to drain periodically. Probably not the most accurate description, but gives you a general idea. Usually takes surgery to correct.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 01:22:42 am »
The surgery was not as bad as I expected.  Worst part of recovery was the first bowel movement afterward .... so much blood I passed out from seeing it all.  After that, things got better with the help of percocet, LOL.  The most annoying part was having to take a bath or shower after ever bowel movement plus, pain meds have a tendency to stop you up which makes doing the deed a little harder.  Everything was healed within about four weeks.  Took another couple of months before I was ready from good old anal sex again.  And, as my doctor predicted, I was rather tight again which my partner LOVED!

Offline krismarco

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 12:57:38 pm »
Hey cabincrew74 was you after surgery wound vary large. mine was almost the size of a quarter. I had to pack it with gauze at first 3 times a  day then 2 times then 1 time to let it heal from inside out.
First surgery I had a homophobic surgeon. Cut me up and sent me home. Not much wound care instructions. Just said sittz baths once in a awhile no packing or cleaning instructions. He cut on me 3 times. He was more concerned if I was completely gay or just partially. Yes he was a Dr. He finally let me see another surgeon out my network. He was convinced I did not heal because I was Hiv+. I had 1000 - 1150 Tcell.

My next surgeon said the first surgery may not work as there was more scar tissue to cut out from the previous surgeries. He  showed me charts of what a fistula was and answered every question I had.  He said Hiv was not likely keeping me from healing as my T_cells were high. The gay question never entered the conversation.  My second surgery with this surgeon did work and last roughly  3 years.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:06:04 pm by krismarco »

Offline krismarco

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
Well I had surgery for my fistula yesterday. Surgery seemed less painful that last. The Dr. left a drain in place that will be removed next Wed/Thurs.
Feeling very lillte pain considering. Hope this works the first time.

Krismarco

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 02:37:45 pm »
Well I had surgery for my fistula yesterday. Surgery seemed less painful that last. The Dr. left a drain in place that will be removed next Wed/Thurs.
Feeling very lillte pain considering. Hope this works the first time.

Krismarco

Wishing you a speedy recovery....

Hang in there---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:32:47 pm »
Best of luck with a speedy recovery Krismarco.

I haven't had any fistulas. I wonder if its common with positive men who are bottoms or positive women who regularly have anal sex.

Offline krismarco

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 11:42:34 pm »
Thanks Ray!
Thanks Winiroo , but no bottom here.  :o Maybe once  ??? or twice  ::)

Krismarco

Offline krismarco

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:25:52 am »
Well I got off pain pills 2 days after surgery. Took it easy for the week. Dr. put me on Flagyl and Cephalexin , (both antbiotics). Will be done will antibiotics tomorrow.  Yeah.. Doc removed drain 2 days ago ( 1 week from surgery ) and 80% of the pain I had went away. He said looks good, keep doing sitz  baths , and only return if you have problems. This surgery was way milder than previous ones. The surgery did not cut into the sphincter muscle as before. It did enter into the bowel  and had to be sutured from the inside.  1 week 2 days and so far things are doing good.
I had come to California for this surgery. as my HMO is located here.
Leaving soon back home to Hawaii to heal.

Aloha ;D

Offline vivyt

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 04:59:43 pm »
What causes them?

Offline bear60

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 05:58:13 pm »
It's important to know the difference between a fistula and a fissure.
Anal Fissure ....is a tear...from bowel movement or sex ( etc). It heals up in most cases.
Anal Fistula ...... is an infected gland in around the anus. Its more likely to need surgery to correct.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:59:07 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:07 pm »
Its been a while since I've taken anatomy classes. I cant recall any glands in or around the anus.

Too much HIV in the brain. LOL
<my general excuse when I cant remember crap>

I'm glad to hear your healing well and that the surgery wasn't as bad as you had thought it may be. I've had a drain after a surgery.
They suck. <no pun intended> or maybe in your case they where a pain in the ass <pun intended>
 ;D

Thanks for the explanation Bear.

Wendy

Offline krismarco

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 01:38:41 pm »
Thanks for well wishes Wendy. 
A little humor always  helps

Thanks for info bear

Krismarco

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 06:48:20 pm »
Leaving soon back home to Hawaii to heal.

Aloha ;D

I want to go to Hawaii to heal.  Don't worry, I'll find something.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline krismarco

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:09 pm »
Aloha Bettytacy,

Make a wish ,and give me a key word. When I get back to Big Island I will write it down and throw it into the lava flow for you.  Lava flowing now 7 miles from home. See if Madam Pele grants your wish.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:40 am »
Aloha Bettytacy,

Make a wish ,and give me a key word. When I get back to Big Island I will write it down and throw it into the lava flow for you.  Lava flowing now 7 miles from home. See if Madam Pele grants your wish.

OK, since you said it, how about 'heal?'  I'll be waiting......
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline krismarco

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 09:20:35 am »
You got it Bettytacy
It won't be the first time I've made that wish at the lava.

Maholo
Krismarco

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.