Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:31:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I got my son tested  (Read 8796 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

I got my son tested
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:14:28 am »
...and I am still waiting on his results.  This waiting game plays way more on my nerves than anything.  Why does it take so damn long to find out test results for stuff?!  My poor son - he's 11 months old - had to be held down by me and 3 other lab techs so they could get 5ccs to run two different tests.  He screamed the entire time.  If he ends up being positive I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I cry just thinking about it.  The thing is I truly believe that I was infected June 9th, but there is a huge part of me that has started doubting that.  (especially since I have a VL of only 2280)  When my husband tested poz mid-June and I tested negative everyone (my husband, the nurses, etc.) said Thank God - you probably don't have anything to worry about.  Don't worry, you're fine.  Even to the point that they didn't want to re-test me in mid-July when I asked to be tested again - it wasn't necessary - I would be fine until October and then I wouldn't have to get tested again after that except for every 6 months.  Well, then I went elsewhere and was tested in late August.  POSITIVE.  I was so scared to tell my husband because he had been so sure that I was fine.  Anyway, the point of my rambling is that I, like everyone else, was sure I was fine; that I had dodged the bullet so to speak.  But here I am now afraid to think that my son is okay because I'm afraid I'll jinx him in some sort of way.  And how can I handle the fact that by breastfeeding him (thinking I was doing something so wonderful and healthy for my child) now has a very real possibility that I was basically feeding him poison.  :'(

Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest.  I've been carrying it around with me all week and I figured the ladies here would be understanding of my situation (especially the mommies).  So thanks for being my release.

Offline emeraldize

Re: I got my son tested
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:35:54 pm »
SK: What an agonizing wait for you. I am one on a long list who hopes your son is negative. Thanks for sharing your concerns with everyone here. Em

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:33:44 am »
Hey Secret, I know all about the wait.  I had my daughter tested when she was like five years old and when the doctor called me to have me go in and get her test results, my heart was pounding the whole way.  My daughter tested negative.  Please take some deep breaths and try to relax.  Tensing up and worrying yourself crazy will do nothing for you or your son.  Your son can probably also feel the tension in you.  But know, that if he does test positive, life is not over.  There are so many things that can help infants now.  I was just reading a post here awhile back about a woman who tested positive when she was an infant who just had a healthy baby.  So, life is not over if he does test poz.  I, of course, with everyone else, hope he tests negative.  But if he doesn't, there is hope.  Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:40:16 pm »
Hello,  I had my son tested at a year old. horrible experience.  hope your son is negative. Cristy

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:01 am »
I like to always focus on positive, as much as possible. I am praying that your son comes out negative. When I was diagnosed, my daughter was 10 months old.... two months post weaning from the breast. She was nursed for 8 months, and weaned herself off. I didn't know I was positive, and for eight months, she received breast milk. However, she came out negative, thankfully!!

So, keep your hopes going, and don't beat yourself up for something you had no idea of.

Take care, and focus on your son's happiness.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:08:07 pm »
I am sending you some hugs!!! I can totally understand your situation and the worry involved! They tested my daughter 3 times her first year. That is not a great experience! Your family is in my prayers that everything comes back fine!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:09:40 pm »
Bumping this back up and hoping things turned out ok.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 06:25:22 pm »
Secretkeeper, we're all waiting to hear from you on how things turned out!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:45:17 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D HE IS NEGATIVE!!!!  YIPPEE!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but thank you all for your prayers and support!!!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:33:46 am »
Great News Indeed.....Thanks for keeping us posted, we were on pins and needles with you....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 04:38:25 am »
great news!!!! smiling now!
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 06:19:36 am »
YAY!
This is great news!  I am so happy! ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 08:41:09 am »
Fantastic news, SK. I'm very happy for you and you family.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:22 am »
That is great news!!! ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.