Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:19:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 571
Total: 572

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected anal sex  (Read 2005 times)

Offline JamesJoseph

• Standard
Unprotected anal sex
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
I would like an opinion on my situation
I had unprotected Anal sex with another male who i did not know
Very very stupid I was drunk and was first time
I started getting symptoms 2 weeks later it started off with extreme tiredness then began cold symptoms sore throat swollen glands all the normal stuff I just thought to myself it's just cold until it gradually got worse I took myself to a GUM Clinic and got tested at 3 weeks and got first hep B injection the nurse said nothing would really show up at 3 weeks which I understood anyhow that night I woke up drenched in sweat like soaked the bed drenched this is the night when the sweats stared I woke up the next morning panicked so a week later I decided to go to private clinic and get a fourth duo test at the 28 day mark but while this test was getting done I was extremely sick which could be a  I began vomiting every morning I had very bad Nausea my hands and feet sweating constantly night sweats aches and pains like I've never felt before every noise was extremely loud I had light sensitivity I was getting I had diariah ulcers in my mouth was consatant dry I've felt like my nails have changed I got a rash on my palms and cheek would go worse if I had a shower  I've never felt this ill in my life it was a struggle to get up if it was the flu I'd be getting blocked noses right ?  I went back to the GUM Clinic at 7 weeks for my 2ND Hep B needle where I asked if I could have another HIV test the nurse at the clinic went and spoke to an health adviser as I told her all my symptoms the health adviser came and told me to come back the next week so it's fully the 8 week mark I was still experiencing symptoms of whatever so I got tested again at 8 weeks with a rapid test blood from finger 30 Min's test or 20 I don't know what test it was but I had one taken out the arm as well both came back negative I was still experiencing symptoms  but recently my skin ans scalp has become extremely dry and flakey which am really worried as I've never suffered from dry skin my hands and feet still constantly sweat my mouth gets bone dry through the whole time my urine has been really strong no matter how much I drink my whole body seams to be getting dryer and dryer including my eyes also a weird one my sperm has changed as well
My next test is in 2 weeks which makes it to 12 weeks and am extremely scared this result is going to change
I would just like some input on the whole thanks 
I could list even more symptoms I've had it's madness
I've read seroconversion story's and it sounds the same I will post my results at 12 weeks could it take longer maybe test at 6Th months ? I don't know it's the 10 week and I've just got over it but still got some of the symptoms
I AM IN THE UK I GO NHS GUM clinics
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:43:47 pm by JamesJoseph »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Unprotected sex
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
Yes, you did have a risk for HIV infection (whether your unprotected sex was "active" or "passive).

Symptoms are not a reliable indicator of potential HIV infection because symptoms, if they occur at all, vary from individual to individual.  Therefore, we do not address or assess symptoms on this forum.

You were correct to be tested.  Generally, it is recommended that one be tested six weeks after potential exposure then at 13 weeks after exposure for confirmation of the six-week test results. 

It is good news that your test came back negative eight weeks past exposure.  You now need to test 13 weeks past exposure for confirmation. 

The result most likely will not change to "positive," but you need to follow the protocol to confirm your negative status and for your own peace of mind.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline JamesJoseph

• Standard
Re: Unprotected anal sex
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:27 pm »
Do tests pick up all kinds of infections both strains of the infection
I've had duo 3 weeks
Duo 4 weeks
Rapid test 8 weeks
Duo at 8 Weeks

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »
Not all tests are sensitive to both HIV strains.  Check with your health care provider to determine whether the test you have taken is sensitive to both strains.

You can peruse the attached link for more information:

http://www.aidsmap.com/HIV-1-and-HIV-2/page/1322970/

From the link:

There are two major types of the human immunodeficiency virus. HIV-1, which was discovered first, is the most widespread type worldwide. HIV-2 is more than 55% genetically different from HIV-1. Due to this genetic difference, HIV-1 and HIV-2 antigens are distinct enough that if a test is developed only to detect HIV-1, it will not reliably detect HIV-2.

However, tests which are sensitive to both types of virus have been developed. All the third-generation, fourth-generation and rapid tests which are listed in the following sections are sensitive to HIV-2 antibodies. Moreover, the Health Protection Agency recommends that such a test should be used.

HIV-2 is most common in western Africa and is becoming more common in India, although numbers there are still relatively small. Small numbers of cases have also been seen in Portugal, France, other European countries including the UK and the Americas, largely in individuals of west African origin or their sexual partners.

Should a laboratory not usually use a test which is sensitive to HIV-2, but the person testing has lived in a country where HIV-2 is common (or has a sexual partner from one of those countries), it is important to use a different test for this person. Moreover, if a person has clinical signs of HIV infection (e.g. recurrent opportunistic infections) but does not test positive to a test which is sensitive only to HIV-1, then testing specifically for HIV-2 would be appropriate.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:57:59 pm »
Hi Joseph

Ill narrow down for you a bit more specific, as you are in the UK the duo tests approved for usage tests for antibodies against all type/strains since 2005 as per regulations.

Duo tests, are also called fourth "generation" HIV tests for both antibodies (HIV 1&2 including all sub-types) and includes HIV-1 p-24 antigen, hence called duo. The antigen on recent infections may show sooner in the body than antibodies, its remains that 13 weeks test is conclusive result.

No generation 1 or 2 tests are used anymore.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:11:40 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline JamesJoseph

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:14 am »
I rang the GUM Clinic they said
That at 8 weeks it's extremely likely it won't change but just come back at 12 weeks I just feel like something isint right I've had blood tests done at drs and nothing come back abnormal am just really worried that it will change at 8 weeks has it ever by 12 do I have to go 12 days to the day or could it be like 2 or 3 days before would that make a difference

It's just  I haven't been that sick before and something lasted so long and effected so much

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:52:51 am »
Look your symptoms firstly have nothing to do with HIV.
If some of your symptoms were caused by hiv you would have tested positive already. 

Test at 3 months as recommended and move on with your life.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.