Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:39:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin D 3 Supplement and Triumeq  (Read 4365 times)

Offline fauvist01

Vitamin D 3 Supplement and Triumeq
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:09:20 am »
Hello from India !

I have received conflicting advice about taking a Vitamin D 3 supplement with Triumeq.
The HIV  pharmacist told me that there was no interaction and it was possible to take  this together with Triumeq while the label on the container of Triumeq says ‘ Any vitamin should be taken 6 hours before or 2 hours after’.
It is very difficult to get a response from my HIV doctor as he is very busy and does not reply to my messages.
I would therefore be grateful if anyone on this forum had knowledge about this issue.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Tino

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Vitamin D 3 Supplement and Triumeq
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:27 am »
Hi Tino and Welcome,

I take a high dosage of vitamin D with Genvoya and have no problems, all meds are different. Pharmacist are usually pretty good, but it's always best to ask your doctor before taking any supplements. Did your labs show you have a deficiency ?
Check out this link in the mean time.

https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us how you are getting along.

Best,

Wade
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:28:23 am by Wade »
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:12 am »
I think you are overthinking this one, but check with your doctor if you are unsure.

I personally take my Triumeq and Vitamin D3 at different times, so it not really an issue I have to think about.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 03:49:25 pm »
It's not Vit D that is an issue with taking along with your meds, but it's MULTIVITAMINS that are an issue (or even vitamins containing more than just Vit D).

More specifically it is the mineral elements in multivitamins that can impact absorption of the meds, which is why they say to leave that gap.

If it's straight-up Vitamin D3, there shouldn't be any issue whenever you take it. If you want to be really sure there in case there is anything else lurking in there and want to take a full belt-and-braces approach, then just take at a different time of day.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline jmupatrick

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:04:34 pm »
Hi Tino. I am in no way a medical professional. I, too, take Triumeq, as well as some other meds and vitamins. My philosophy is this -- I don't want anything to interfere with the absorption of my ARV. I take my ARV first thing in the morning, alone, on an empty stomach. I take a beta blocker for blood pressure about an hour after, and in the evening, with dinner, I take some vitamins, including vitamin D. I have no side effects to speak of and the Triumeq is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. Since starting the medication 4 weeks ago, my CD4s have jumped up 300 points and I am nearly undetectable. It makes for a little more work on my end, but it seems to be working for me to space out the meds/vitamins I take to ensure that my ARV isn't disrupted in any way.
August 2017 - Infection
8/31/17 - Seroconversion
9/22/17 - Diagnosis
10/6/17 - CD4=442, 25%; VL=343,959; started Triumeq
11/3/17 - CD4=762, 39%; VL=50 (holy cow, it's working!!)
1/3/18 - CD4=676, 35%; VL=UD (WOOHOO!!)
3/18/18 - CD4=681, 39%; VL=UD
6/1/18 - CD4=796, 40%; VL = UD

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:28 pm »
You know come to think of it my CD4 was alot higher this ID check and the only thing I did different was change the time of my vitaming. I'm on Atripla for this week but starting next week I will be worshipping the Genvoya God.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:33 am »
If you were having issue with med absorption due to some interaction with vitamins (or some other pill), it would impact your VL, NOT your CD4s. 

HIV meds do not directly impact your CD4s, they impact your virus.

I have been shoving a handful of pills in the morning with my Reyataz/Norvir and a (smaller) handful in the evening with my Sustiva/Descovy for 12 years.  Am UD and my CD4s hover between 800-1000.

Morning:  Reyataz, Norvir, Valtrex, Allegra, multivitamin, Sudafed (seasonal)
Evening:  Sustiva, Descovy, Valtrex, Lipitor, Benedryl, baby aspirin

Work with your doc and/or pharmacists to be sure there is no interaction with anything you take (many things can), but don't overthink it and remember -- ARV's hit the virus and do nothing for your CD4s.  Your CD4s go up because your virus is under control.

Mike

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
I've always had an an issue with taking large pills and water. My gag reflex is intact. Meaning I gag if something big is put in my mouth and have to swallow that. ;) but I find with some of the horse pill vitamins, if I warm up a cup of milk for 40 seconds and swallow the vitamins, they seem to go down better. Cold water seems to make my throat rigid and I have a rougher time. Warm water just don't taste good. Warm milky substance softens the throat and well pills just slither down.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:33:12 am by den2542 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.