Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:02:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 497
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 490
Total: 492

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gammora....  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Jmarksto

Gammora....
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »
The news of Gammora popped up today.  As I dug into it I became somewhat skeptical (limited information, can't find it in the NIH database, small company, .....). It looks like there was some "in vitro" success and news back in 2010 or so. That said, I was also skeptical of Cytodyn's Pro140 a few years ago which had many of those same characteristics.  We'll see.....Gammora:

https://tinyurl.com/yb32ocof

Is an HIV cure on the immediate horizon? A major medical breakthrough delivers hope
[/size]A TEAM of medical researchers believes they are on the cusp of developing a cure for HIV, after an initial human clinical trial delivered astounding results.
In the first phase of testing, the drug Gammora eliminated up to 99 per cent of the virus within the first four weeks of treatment, it was announced today.
[/size]Zion Medical, an Israeli biotech company, has worked in conjunction with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, on the trials.
The groundbreaking results showed the drug significantly reduced the viral load in human subjects by killing HIV-infected cells[/font]
[/font]While it’s the first stage of exploration and a small-scale start, it has offered significant hope of a potential cure for the virus, which first emerged 35 years ago.
[/size]
“These first clinical results were beyond our expectations and promise hope in finding a cure for the disease,” Dr Esmira Naftali, head of development at Zion Medical, said.[/font]
In July and August, nine patients at Ronald Bata Memorial Hospital in Uganda were randomly assigned to receive different doses of Gammora for between four to five weeks.
“Most patients showed a significant reduction of the viral load of up to 90% from the baseline during the first four weeks,” Dr Naftali said.[/font]

In the second part of the trial, conducted two weeks later, patients were given the drug with additional retroviral treatment for another four to five weeks.
[/size]The results showed the combined treatments eliminated up to 99 per cent of the viral loadin those patients in four weeks.
Those patients participating in the trial exhibited no signs of negative side effects and the drug is non-toxic.

[/size]During the total 10-week study, patients in both groups showed a “significant” increase in T cell counts, which play a significant role in the immune system’s function.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:03:33 pm by Jmarksto »
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Gammora....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:05:31 pm »
Personally I was unable to find anything new published in peer reviewed papers regarding this.

Gammora a few years back reduced levels not cleared HIV in Petri dish testing. This update without details or peer reviews is hard to decipher, other than the claim it reduced VL by 90% in a few patients for a few weeks and standard ART suppressed the rest.

I would not be getting excited about this, and the headline is sensational not factually as we see too often.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:02:29 pm »

---I didn't mention in my original post that they are claiming the mechanism of the drug (apoptosis) works on (some???) cancer and it looks like that is where they have focused peer papers.  Which makes sense because cancer is a much bigger market.

---The percentage of viral load cleared is absolutely meaningless (in this article and most other articles) without significantly more information.  Was this in the blood, reservoirs, which reservoirs, over what time period, sustained with/without treatment, assay methods, etc. etc. etc.

--- Yup, the headline is sensational which is why I buried it in the post.  The concept of eradication via apoptosis and the connection to cancer research is intriguing.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:07:01 pm by Jmarksto »
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »
I think were saying the same thing.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Prince_Bernhard

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »
I have found a more clarifying article: https://edgylabs.com/new-hiv-drug

What I understand from it is that it is the opposite of the (N)NRTI's that we are using as ARV nowadays. They modified the HIV-integrase enzyme in such a way that it becomes hyperactive. The integrase enzyme is the one that is responsible for putting the viral RNA-code in the DNA-strands of our healthy cells which will become subsequently infected cells and then produce more HIV virus particles.

The hyperactive integrates enzyme performs reverse-transcriptase of the viral RNA many times within the DNA strands of a cell. As a result, the DNA strand become full of HIV RNA, and the cell will malfunction and will kill itself (apoptosis). In addition, since this enzyme only targets HIV reverse-transcriptase, it will most likely focus only on HIV cells and it is not likely that it will produce any side effects.

The concept is relatively easy to understand and the human trial results are encouraging. The results of the second stage trial showed that the drug eliminated up to 99 percent of the viral load in the patients. It is unclear to me how they were able to measure this.

Other interesting and encouraging developments, like BIT225, might likely also contribute to a cure, and in my opinion a combination of several drugs that each will target a different part of the body, could possibly be the holy grail. BIT225 reaches the macrophage reservoir, this drug Gammora reaches other infected cells, and many more  drugs are in development stages right now.

The scientific community is working very hard on this, and although it seems impossible to cure the infection, it looks like each time a new piece of the puzzle is found. It will take time, but I am confident that one day, a cure (either functional or sterilising) will be feasible.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:08:25 am »
All I am reading is a viral suppression of below 300 copies in combination with ART under a very small group of people. I have yet to see peer reviewed publication on this claim, but lets say for the moment its true and correct than its not a cure.

If true than like any new drug in suppression of HIV blood levels is great to have it as a treatment development and we always learn something if when they fail,  but i'm not seeing anything spectacular about this one in tissue results or long term suppression rates myself and its not been through the stages yet.

All in all over the decades the word cure gets thrown around far too easy based on early good results, with bold claims sometimes even of a cure being less than X months or years away raising false hopes and having terrible consequences for individuals buying into headlines, but it simply never has worked out so I would urge caution on what you read or pin false hopes on.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:28:51 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline geobee

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 06:11:34 pm »
Something just doesn't smell right about this story -- it's been around for a while.  Presumably, if it worked, it would be a much bigger story by now.  I'd like to be optimistic about it, but the evidence just seems too flimsy.  It felt like a "notice me, invest a lot of dollars in our small company" story.

Offline geobee

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 04:36:09 pm »
Looks like junk science.   Headline to the article is:

Gammora does not cure HIV

First three paragraphs:

An Israeli biotech company has issued a misleading press release which has encouraged some media outlets to falsely suggest that a new drug, Gammora, may be able to cure HIV.

Zion Medical report that their study enrolled nine patients in Uganda. For the first four weeks, patients received a new drug called Gammora. “Most patients showed a significant reduction of the viral load of up to 90% from the baseline during the first four weeks” (emphasis added). In the second part of the study, patients also received conventional antiretroviral therapy. “The results found that combined-treated patients demonstrated sustained viral suppression and achieved HIV-1 RNA <300 copies/mL, and showed up to 99% reduction in viral load from baseline within four weeks.”

This is no better than conventional antiretroviral therapy – which, of course, the trial participants were also taking.

Link:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Gammora-does-not-cure-HIV/page/3363143/

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:57:49 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Explains a lot, when it does not sound right its for a reason.
Not the first time false or misleading claims are made nor will it be the last time i suspect

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:56:02 pm »
We have an update on the 'cure' reports, time to put it to bed.

https://www.aidsmap.com/Gammora-does-not-cure-HIV/page/3363143/

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:26:27 pm »
Indeed, harleymc, Jim, geobee:

From the November 12, 2018, issue of POZ (online):

https://www.poz.com/article/reports-imminent-hiv-cure-false
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.