Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:29:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 284
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed and Started Meds was that right???  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Regretsafew

Newly Diagnosed and Started Meds was that right???
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:28:38 am »
Hi all 

I was just wondering  I am newly diagnosed HIV and my  doctor  (ID)  started me on  meds at the same time I had my first cd and viral load test.  Was that a right thing to do?  Ended up my CD4 was  357   and viral load  greater than 100,000   

She started me on Combivir twice a day  and Sustiva. 

Thanks

Joey

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Newly Diagnosed and Started Meds was that right???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:59:45 pm »
The right thing to do was for her to advise you that it might be a good time to start meds, based on your CD4 count and viral load and go through the approved (and perhaps non-approved) options for first-time meds, outlining the good and bad points of each combo, which is likely to be more effective at getting your viral load to below 50 copies (the target) and esp. the possible side effects, and suggest a  combo (or two mybe) based on your preferences that will fit with your life pattern.

Even more right, IMHO, unless you were keen to start treatment right away, would be to take a second set of tests at least. This provides a more informed position on CD4/viral load.

However...

As it is, guidelines suggest starting treatment with a CD4 count between 350 and 200, and certainly no lower than 200.  Sustiva/Combivir is a proven first-line therapy. But there are others, and. esp regarding the Combivir bit of the combo, kinder drugs to use <<< this v. important if you don't get on with the combo.

The right thing to do is the thing you decide is the right thing.  It's your life, n your HIV infection.

PS - welcome.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Regretsafew

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:17:35 pm »
Hey thanks Matt

All of this is so new to me....... I'm still all dazed from  it all.  Any tips on what to do next?  and staying healthy? 

Thanks,

Joey

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 03:19:45 pm »
Joey, I strongly urge you to peruse the WELCOME THREAD at the top of the site. There are excellent lessons there, from meds to alternative therapies and stuff. Also, this forum has hundreds... well, maybe thousands... of threads that will certainly be of help.

But the best thing you can do right now, is know your limits. Absorb what you can, and pace yourself. It's easy to get overwhelmed, and thing is, you don't need to know everything all at once. And, of course, realise that someone else's experience, godo or bad, might not necessarily reflect your own.

Honestly, if you are still dazed, I'd work on wrapping your head around your diagnosis first, and maybe researching the meds and stuff you may have to start. Because everything else will be a blur right now. Try to get plenty of rest, sleep. Remember to eat. Cry if you need to, rage if you have to.

This is a journey that will last you for the next seven or eight decades. It's important, especially now, to pace yourself.

You are gonna bee ok. And you have come to the best resource I have ever experienced, online or off.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline MC

• Hello.........
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:21:08 am »
joey
When i read your post last week i did think it a bit odd that your Dr put you immediately on Meds. I was also recently diagnosed myself and your Cd4 and VL was better than mine and i haven't yet started on meds as the Dr wants to wait till my 2ND result on Sept 12. My CD4 is 320 and viral load 900,000.........................perhaps the Dr's decision  has something to do with your CD4 percentage as it seemed quite low at 7%......................I'm also naive about this as we have been infected about the same time.Id perhaps ask the DR. this about the percentage and find out if that's the reason for meds?

Anyhow my friend good luck and hope to see you here soon!
MC
08/06 cd4s 320 vl 900,000

Offline Regretsafew

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:19:35 pm »
Dear MC,

My doctor  perscribed my meds on the same day of my first set of labs.  So she didnt even know the results yet.  I'm going again next week for my  2nd  viral load  and CD counts.  I dont know what to expect.  but i hope they are better than the first.  Sometimes the meds make me feel weird  but she says that most of the side effects will be gone after six weeks.  I'm almost at 4 weeks of med therapy.   

Hugs to you buddy.  Others have said  to start meds is the decision of you and your  Dr.  but for some reason mine started me right away.  She must have thought my labs were lower than what they were   I dont know. 

Joey

Offline simon695

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:28 pm »
Hi,I Had Almost The Exact Same Situation,Biggest Difference Is That
Was in 2000.I Think At That Time Those Numbers (the high Vl) W0uld
Have put most People On Meds.I Continued For EAxactly 1 Year Then
Stopped And Am Still Holding Out.For Me A Very Healthy Diet And Alot
Of Rest Are Essential,Never Eat Anywhere You Think Is Even Remotely
Un Hygenic,With or Without Meds Your Stomach Is Going To Be Ypour
biggest nightmare.Chicken, Fish, Fresh Vegetables will Become Good Friends!
Still Its Not All Doom ANd Gloom I Have Had My Heathliest Year So Far
Probably The Result Of Learning From All My Mistakes In The Past.
Never Eat Anyting An Airline Gives You!Please Feel Free To Ask Me Anything
I Maybe You 5 Years On.sorry for the typos my delete button has been the
first victim on my keyboard.
                   Simon

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.