Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:34:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 624
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cataracts @ an early age  (Read 11130 times)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Cataracts @ an early age
« on: October 07, 2023, 06:47:45 am »
So I have cataracts surgery scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. I just turned 41, but in doing some research, I see that HIV can cause early diagnosis and premature need for this surgery.

I’m curious if anyone else here has experienced earlier than typical eye issues???

I’m only getting my right eye corrected this go around, but my doctors agree that my left eye is already developing cataracts as well. Hopefully I can have it corrected this calendar year, seeing as I’ve already satisfied my 2k out of pocket deductible. We shall see though 
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Cataracts @ an early age
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 10:32:30 am »
best of luck with the surgery and heal up fast!!! :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 10:56:12 am »
best of luck with the surgery and heal up fast!!! :-*

Maybe I should leave you my Google password so that you can send out the Friday peer support invite, just in case …
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 11:03:06 am »
just text me and I'll handle whatever you can't.
(Look! It's peer support. LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 11:13:55 am »
just text me and I'll handle whatever you can't.
(Look! It's peer support. LOL)

I’ll send out the invite Tuesday morning just in case, but thank you for the offer. Surely by Friday I’ll be back to normal … or my normal anyways 🤣

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:45:58 pm »
Hey,

I asked my partner about your question, concerning early cataracts.  Ed worked for a prominent eye surgeon for 35 years before he retired.

This was his response: Could possibly be genetic. Certain prolonged use of medicaions, including steroids. Cortico steroids, such as prednisone, not (anabolic )steroids, anti inflammatories. Diabetes. ( not necessarily in this order)

In the years he was in his job, he never remembered anyone HIV positive, coming into the institute, for cataracts.

In those early days, he treated those that were HIV positive for primarily  CMV retinitus. 

I will be 72 shortly, and no issues thus far with cataracts, I am considered very mild ( Green) with cataracts, positive for 38 years. so at least for now, no surgery.

The issues they watch on me, are the pressures in my eyes, but because I have thick corneas , the pressure runs a little higher anyways. There is a calculation to determine that. but,glaucoma runs in my family history.

Good luck with the surgery, it will be quick. JUST make sure to follow post- op instructions.

Take care--Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:53:00 pm »
oh,...

One more thing he told me. Pro longed sun exposure without eye protection, can cause early cataracts. He saw this quite a bit in fishermen, who did not wear eye protection.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 07:59:25 pm »
and one more thing,..

Long term untreated HIV, could possibly cause cataracts,  I went almost 18 years of no treatment from the time I was diagnosed, so I guess I lucked out.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Online Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 12:12:06 am »

Ojo.       Hi there!!!

I did have cataract surgery when I was in my 40s, although i had lots of  wirh CMV SYMPTOMV since i was 28 years old, retinal
Detachment several times, both eyes, injections directly in my eyes With medication to prevent CMV, several implantations of vitrasert, and after my left eye cataract surgery i got a second cataract, as if i never had the surgery, my riight eye was already blind after a bad retina detachment surgery… good luck with your surgery it’s an easy and quick surgery… please keep us posted.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 04:41:36 am »
and one more thing,..

Long term untreated HIV, could possibly cause cataracts,  I went almost 18 years of no treatment from the time I was diagnosed, so I guess I lucked out.

Ray

Thank you Ray- wow what a wealth of information! I am so lucky to have you come across my post! I think you absolutely nailed why I have developed it: untreated HIV (I took a break for 3/4ths of the time I’ve been diagnosed) and also topical steroid use.

I appreciate your well wishes for a successful surgery. I will def keep you posted.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 04:43:49 am »
I did have cataract surgery when I was in my 40s, although i had lots of  wirh CMV SYMPTOMV since i was 28 years old, retinal
Detachment several times, both eyes, injections directly in my eyes With medication to prevent CMV, several implantations of vitrasert, and after my left eye cataract surgery i got a second cataract, as if i never had the surgery, my riight eye was already blind after a bad retina detachment surgery… good luck with your surgery it’s an easy and quick surgery… please keep us posted.

Oh my goodness. You have been through so much haven’t you Tonny??? I appreciate your taking the time to share your own experiences. I am so terrified of retinal detachment - was it painful? Oh my gosh even typing this has be clamming up with worry. I hope I never experience that!

Thank you for the well wishes with the upcoming surgery! Have a great day!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 08:22:07 pm »
 :)

Hope your surgery went well. you had it done Tuesday right ?

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 04:05:28 am »
:)

Hope your surgery went well. you had it done Tuesday right ?

Ray

Thank you Ray! So far so good…. The recovery thus far has been fairly easy. The difference in my sight is
astounding! I had pretty much given up on this eye beforehand so now I feel like the future is bright!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 05:54:43 am »
I had pretty much given up on this eye beforehand so now I feel like the future is bright!
that's really good news to hear!! Congratulations!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.