Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:44:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 260
Total: 260

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Heartburn  (Read 7488 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Heartburn
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:10:40 pm »
Hi all,

Not sure if this belongs in the side effects forum or not because i'm not on meds but i'll put it in here for now.  In the last 6 months or so i've been experiencing heartburn quite frequently.  I'm not sure if this is HIV related or not there are a few aspects which all coincide with it appearing. I've put on weight since finding out mostly immediately after diagnosis (comfort eating!) and the other one being a considerable increase in the amount of water i've been drinking every day, I drank hardly any before.  I've improved my diet considerably in the last couple of months and have been hitting the gym quite a lot so the weight is coming off slowly but not much improvement in the heartburn.  Has anyone noticed an problem with heartburn since diagnosis without HIV medication being in the equation at the time?  I've e-mailed my doctor about this but I thought i'd ask on here as well.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline krakerjm

Re: Heartburn
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 01:52:01 pm »
Hummmm....I had a slight problem with heart burn for a while and it got worse over a couple years.  What you eat and liquids do have a lot to do with it.  When I started drinking more water, it did get worse than ever; I am assuming stomach acids float like oil and a full stomach especially after eating and then all that water?.  Recently it has gotten so bad my doc has put me on Nexium, since the very first capsule, I have had no heartburn or indigestion what so ever.  It actually got so bad it was coming up into my throat and making me sick at night; don't think it had anything do do with my meds.  But damn it's nice not to experience it any longer for the last couple of months.  The doc said  Prilocec(sp) OTC works really well but very pricey.  My medicare and medicaid pay for the Nexium.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 02:08:39 pm »
Heartburn (gastric reflux) can be treated in two ways:

1. The use of an antacid; 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in 250 mls of water will give immediate relief.

2. The use of a proton pump inhibitor or a H2 antagonist such as Zantac will also give similar but longer lasting relief.

Nevertheless such a condition should be reviewed by your doctor to determine a potential cause and the best mode of treatment.

Nothing I've said here replaces the advice of your doctor or other qualified health care worker.

MtD

Offline belgium

• jean's blog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 02:10:50 pm »
you prob suffer from something i have for years, acid reflux. very common dissease, not hiv related.
caused by your food habbits (spicy), drinking, smoking or it can be caused by a defective stomachevalve so to speak
i take omeprazolium 10 mg  day and all is well
if it isn't working, it must be windows

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 02:22:31 pm »
For a while I was living on Roliads and Tums, but it still got worse, that's when my doc decided it was more serious, possibly acid reflux.  Absolutely. drinking(alcohol) and greasey foods don't help.  I have a leaky heart valve, why not a stomach valve, lol...get old any everything starts falling apart. ;D or just gets wore out.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 02:25:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone i'll speak to my normal doctor about this I think i'm satisfied enough that it's not HIV related for now.  In recent weeks i've cut out spicy foods and i've virtually quit smoking now and i've been off the alcohol for weeks hoping it would improve the heartburn but it hasnt really.  Yeah Matty i'm taking Zantac at the moment and it works well it's just worrying that i'm having to take it all the time when it recommends against that in the instructions.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 02:39:48 pm »
Zantac is prescribed far too freely in Commonwealth nations. It's compounded by the fact that it's also available over the counter. Chronic reflux needs to be looked into. There are issues involving the stomach and gullet which need to be examined.

Basically people if your tummy is upset for more than a week or two you really need to talk to a doctor.

MtD
(Who really knows)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 06:42:04 pm »
Hi there

I'm glad to hear you are getting a little relief from the Zantac

If you are getting it from the local Chemist ask the Pharmacist for an antacid  that relieves the heartburn by forming a layer on top of the stomach contents...not all antacids do this, and I'm not sure if Zantac is one of them, but it should tell you on the box.

If you find that you have to take these medicines on a regular basis with little or no results, then it's best to visit your doctor again and then he can decide if tests are needed to find the cause of the problem, he may be able to prescribe something a little strong to stop the acid in the stomach, giving the inflamation time to heal

I suffered from it quite a bit a few years ago..I don't get it very often at all now, but when I do I find Rennie's a good way of settling it....but not really for you at this stage, not until your Doc can sort things out first.

Take care
Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 07:00:31 pm »
Hello Chris, it is Eldon. I've never experienced any heartburn because of HIV. I did in the past have a slight complication due to eating spicy foods. Since then I've cut that out and my heart has been fine.

You do want to go to your doctor and have him check it out.

Offline fearless

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 09:55:54 pm »
hey Chris,

Hope it is only gastric reflux and it subsides shortly.
Do keep an eye on it though and where and when the pain arises. It is likely to be just gastric reflux but it may be something like oesophagael thrush which is reasonably common in us HIV'ers and easily fixed too.

Stephen
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:36:30 am »
Hi there

If you find that you have to take these medicines on a regular basis with little or no results, then it's best to visit your doctor again and then he can decide if tests are needed to find the cause of the problem, he may be able to prescribe something a little strong to stop the acid in the stomach, giving the inflamation time to heal

Take care
Hugs
Jan :-*

Hello,

Just making sure you read what Jan stated above. Make sure to bring this to your doctors attention also. Another thing you may want to do, is keep a journal on what you eat, on a daily basis, what your snacks are, and what your liquids are. Keep track of all you eat, the time you eat, and try to log down when the heartburn occurs, and how long it last. It may be a little awkward to do this, but it may help you get a little better understanding, of what could possibly be causing the problem !! I remeber back in July of 2003 having what I thought was severe heartburn, and it ended up bein esophogeal thrush. It was very painful. I am not saying, that that is what is going right now. One of the questions my doctor ask on each vist, is if I have any issues with heartburn, or heartburn type feeling.

Take Care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:58:40 am »
I think these two posts are somehow related:
Emraldize: Quote:
 New Article RE: HIV "Hiding in the Gut"
« on: Today at 02:13:25 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1701226.htm
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 11:13:58 am »
Hello,

if you keep on having this complaints you could maybe get checked for heliobacter pylorum, which is a bacterial infection that keeps on causing these trouble if you don't treat it. It is more common in people with HIV that in the normal population.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 04:55:05 pm »
Thanks everyone i'm certainly going to get this checked out i'm just waiting on the advice of my HIV Dr first he's not replied to my e-mail yet.  I've got an ulcer in my mouth and the glands are up in my neck a bit today probably completely unrelated but best get myself down to the doctors anyway to make sure.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 12:46:32 am »
hey Chris,
How's it going? Feeling any better? any word back from the doctor yet?
Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 05:39:37 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for checking how I was!  Feeling better now thanks I was never bad just a little bit feverish but i'm pretty much ok now.  Got a reply from the doctor saying he didnt think my problems were HIV related so i'm thinking now because of the frequency I seem to be getting heartburn it's probably just gastric reflux so i'll sort out something with my normal doctor. 

How are you anyway? hows things down under my sister just went to Australia a couple of months ago to live there for a while.  She's in brisbane at the moment but she was just camping on an island a couple of weeks ago the lucky bitch! i can't remember the name though i'll get it off her later.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.