Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Facial lipo on Atripla  (Read 40950 times)

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
Facial lipo on Atripla
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »
hi,
has anyone experienced facial lipo whilst on atripla? I've been on it for 4 months now.
mainly i have a thinning of the face with deepening of the naso-labial folds.
I have lost weight recently, from 72 to 67 kg.
i just think it's best to flag this stuff early - easier to prevent than wait until it's too late to reverse.
also what are the risks with changing meds only 4 months in? (this is my first treatment with meds, diagnosed in 2006)

Offline spoon

Re: Facial lipo on Atripla
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »
I'm also about 4 months in and also experiencing facial lipoatrophy on Atripla. When I started everyone told me that Atripla was one of the safest drugs to be on for lipo issue, but after doing a lot of research lately i see that Sustiva in Atripla is one of the three main drugs now associated with lipo issues. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to switch treatments. If I had known about this I would have never have gone on Atripla and I've been freaking out to see my face deflating. Anyone know of the likelihood of reversal of early mild facial wasting? Or of any diet/supplement approaches to help combat it? I'm increasing my fiber and protein and started taking Coenzyme Q10 and L-carnitine, but am not really expecting much from them...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:23:18 pm »
lmdo and spoon, please read my post on this issue at this link.

Weight loss is NOT the same as lipoatrophy, bottom line.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline spoon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:15:19 pm »
yes, i'm sure we both know that. what i'm describing is lipoatrophy, not weight loss. please don't assume you know more than everyone else. thanks.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:18:09 pm »
yes, i'm sure we both know that. what i'm describing is lipoatrophy, not weight loss. please don't assume you know more than everyone else. thanks.

I'll stack up my 12 years of lipoatrophy against your knowledge of same any time of the week, seeing as how you've been diagnosed for a grand total of 16 months, and on treatment for four months.

Thanks, and right back at ya.

ps: why are you ignoring the fact that you wrote that you were losing weight before even going on Atripla?  Care to comment?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:20:20 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spoon

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »
yes, i had weight loss but no facial wasting for the last year. now my weight is back up and my face is deflated. i'm sure you learned a lot over your years with hiv, but you should try to resist being a tyrant on the boards. a question was asked about anyone having experience with facial wasting on atripla and i answered in an honest fashion. i don't see why you feel the need to be condescending and hijack this thread. are you new to hiv and on atripla? no, you're not. why not let us discuss this in peace without you being a bully and trying to prove how much more you know than everyone else. there's a fairly significant population of people experiencing facial wasting on atripla and we don't need your disdain every time we try to post on the boards. the boards are for everyone.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »
there's a fairly significant population of people experiencing facial wasting on atripla

define "significant" as it is the preferred CDC treatment naive regimen BECAUSE it has the least chance of causing lipoatrophy.  Please provide a link that there are loads of patients on Atripla as treatment naive patients experiencing lipo, and by that I mean lipo that has been clinically diagnosed by a service provider and not a self-diagnosis.

I'm sorry if my challenging your assertions qualifies as "bullying" -- but it doesn't.  And my replying to your posts isn't a hijack by any definition.  Sorry if you're feeling defensive though, as that's certainly not my intent.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »
yes, i had weight loss but no facial wasting for the last year. now my weight is back up and my face is deflated. i'm sure you learned a lot over your years with hiv, but you should try to resist being a tyrant on the boards. a question was asked about anyone having experience with facial wasting on atripla and i answered in an honest fashion. i don't see why you feel the need to be condescending and hijack this thread. are you new to hiv and on atripla? no, you're not. why not let us discuss this in peace without you being a bully and trying to prove how much more you know than everyone else. there's a fairly significant population of people experiencing facial wasting on atripla and we don't need your disdain every time we try to post on the boards. the boards are for everyone.

You need to lighten up and listen to those who have more experience with meds than you do, Miss P and those like him are the people who are going to help you through any problems you may have in the future..I'd think twice about how you treat/talk to those who are here to support and help you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline spoon

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »
this whole taking sides and defending those who are first to go on the attack is just silly, worthless playground behavior. if you're not going to add something substantive to the issue at hand, perhaps you should resist posting. i'm sure miss p. can defend herself without the pile on from all her playground friends. this discussion is about facial wasting on atripla. know something about it? then post. there are too many of these threads now with too many of you puffing up your chests for no reason. i'm done responding after this post. you all do a major disservice to the hiv community by being more interested in acting like you're on a reality tv show with forming your alliances, than actually trying to get to the truth of issues that really effect people.

btw, i think that 11% of people having lipo issues on one of the most prescribed hiv drugs on the market, is a significant number.

here's a link on the subject with some relevant info abstracted:

http://www.wellsphere.com/hiv-aids-article/an-interview-with-nelson-vergel-impact-of-lipodystrophy-on-the-quality-of-life-and-self-esteem-of-people-living-with-hiv/661814

So yes, your chances of experiencing lipoatrophy are going to be lower, but I'm still hearing from recently diagnosed people taking Atripla [efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC], or a very, very lipid-friendly combination, that are experiencing body changes.

A study done by the ACTG [AIDS Clinical Trials Group] actually showed that 11 percent of people taking tenofovir, 3TC [Epivir, lamivudine] and Sustiva [efavirenz, Stocrin] experience lipoatrophy. That's 11 percent of people who have never been exposed to AZT or d4T, so there is a minority of patients that may have lipoatrophy even though they have never been exposed to the main culprits of this problem.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »

A study done by the ACTG [AIDS Clinical Trials Group] actually showed that 11 percent of people taking tenofovir, 3TC [Epivir, lamivudine] and Sustiva [efavirenz, Stocrin] experience lipoatrophy. That's 11 percent of people who have never been exposed to AZT or d4T, so there is a minority of patients that may have lipoatrophy even though they have never been exposed to the main culprits of this problem.

Actually the study stated 9%, not 11% -- and keep in mind this is ONE study done three years ago.  Do you know of any more studies, ones that take an analysis into account of those experiencing lipo in this 9% small group their lowest (nadir) cd4 count before and/or during treatment?  This was not done in the AIDS Clinical Trials Group study, a point mentioned in one of your previous poz.com links authored by Tim Horn.

I hate  to tell you, but you're not going to find a single HIV regimen that comes with an iron clad guarantee that you will have no body shape changes -- never.  You can only go with the combos that represent the least exposure.

Are you willing to post some before and after photos of what you are experiencing?  You know, we can often be our worst judges of this issue.  At any rate, and for your sake, I hope I'm right and you're wrong -- meaning that you aren't in fact experiencing lipoatrophy.  I don't take this issue lightly at all, as I just had my third injection session of Sculptra just last Thursday, with one more session to go next month.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:28 pm »
Fellow newbies-its no secret that the "new drugs" cause lipo.  One need not memorize medical statistics or rely on doctors, who are notorious for dismissing the complaints of pozzies, to see this.  You only need to look at a large collection of people who've been on the "new meds" for a few years to see that this is plainly the case.  To both of you, I'd remind you that four months is a record-setting timeframe for the development of the disorder, and I'd suggest that weight loss, aging and increased facial scrutiny are probably the culprits.  I would also read the studies more closely.  SUSTIVA is highly correllated with facial lipoatrophy, but hasn't been studied by itself.  All these studies involve combinations of medications, so it is unrealistic to say that SUSTIVA causes lipo so much as SUSTIVA in combination with other meds is highly correllated with it.  The particular combination of Sustiva with Truvada (Atripla) is known to result in a very low incidence of lipo.  Further, if we're on the same page, the study you cite with 9 or 11 (I remember 12)%  lipo with Atripla  has a very low threshold for what they define as lipoatrophy and is culled over the course of two years, not four months.  Criticisms of the study state that the threshhold for defining facial changes as lipo is so sensitive that the researchers may actually be witnessing normal aging.   

Before I started, I took pictures of my face to have an objective source of information to compare it to, and I'd recommend you guys to do the same.  Staring in the mirror and wondering if you're imaging a symptom is bound to increase the liklihood of you perceiving that symptom. 
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 12:09:08 am »
I have had four HIV infectious disease doctors over 17 years and not a single one of them has ever been dismissive about my lipoatrophy issues.  If they're dismissive it's probably because they don't agree with the patient's self-diagnosis.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 01:18:37 am »
I have had four HIV infectious disease doctors over 17 years and not a single one of them has ever been dismissive about my lipoatrophy issues.  If they're dismissive it's probably because they don't agree with the patient's self-diagnosis.

Ohhhhhhh... YOU've had ____ experience with HIV and therefore _____ must be true because no one else's experience could POSSIBLY be different!  SOOOOO gooooood to KNOW!!!  

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Speakiing of being dismissive...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:30:25 am by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:43 am »
Thanks guys for the responses. I agree that both normal ageing and weight loss can cause facial changes - I think the issue is that if you leave it too long to change meds then the lipo changes are irreversible and it is best to be informed. This discussion has helped me a little, I think.
What you are saying is that Atripla is probably one of the best combos as far as facial lipo is concerned. Which is probably what my GP will say, and when he examines my face he will also say the changes are more than likely just normal ageing.
The photo tip is really helpful - I can see that this is prob the best hard evidence.

If we did decide that changes were occurring is there a combo which is indicated as an alternative? And what are the issues with drug resistance re changing combos 6 months into a course?

By the way, when we're talking about fat redistribution, has anyone else experienced lipomas on the side of their spine? My partner has had a couple, one large-ish (1/2 cm) and I am getting one which is slowly getting bigger.

I can hear some of you saying "it's just your imagination" but I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is not uncommon.
What are your experiences?
I know tha a lipoma is not a malignancy but it did cause some anxiety recently with my partner who has just completed cancer treatment, and we were excluding spread.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 02:03:54 am »
The best I can do is say that someone here once linked to an article from thebody.com which claimed that isentress/truvada was "the best" combo to be on, but the particular article seemed to either address "lipid issues"...which could include cholesterol levels, or lipidysTROPHY, which could include lipoHYPERTROPHY, as opposed to lipoATROPHY, which is what you're afraid of.  When people discuss their concerns for "lipo", they usuaully mean facial wasting, and specifically lipoatrophy of the face where fat deposits are depleted from areas like the cheeks.  Lipohypertrophy is, if i recall correctly, the unusual depositing of fat in various areas.  This hasn't been studied as much with Atripla.  Before you jump on the isentress bandwagon, I'd advise you that its pretty untested, even by the standards of HIV drugs and hasn't received anywhere near the degree of scrutiny that atripla has, so whatever contest it wins, it kinda wins by default.  The unfortunant truth is that HIV treatment is a balancing act between the drugs and the effects of the virus, with the former literally having the distinction of being better than a fatal disease, and not much else.  Its a good idea to use the meds, and I personally am glad I started early, but make no mistake---you're not popping pez.

Philly was right when she said that none of the treatments are free of side effects.  I'd choose now as a good time to advocate for a change in the paradigm.  Write your local politician, have your firends, family and everyone you know who cares do the same and urge them to fund research for a cure. 

09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 02:14:07 am »
The unfortunant truth is that HIV treatment is a balancing act between the drugs and the effects of the virus, with the former literally having the distinction of being better than a fatal disease, and not much else.  Its a good idea to use the meds, and I personally am glad I started early, but make no mistake---you're not popping pez. 

I know I've typed out basically this same response before.  It's been a while though.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 02:17:10 am »
I know I've typed out basically this same response before.  It's been a while though.

If I ganked plagiarized your phrase, I apologize.  You've been on Atripla for a while, haven't you?  What are your thoughts on the subject?
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 03:04:29 am »
If I ganked plagiarized your phrase, I apologize.  You've been on Atripla for a while, haven't you?  What are your thoughts on the subject?

Frankly?  I call shenanigans on anyone thinking that within 4 months they've developed any sort of lipo issues from HIV meds.  Now maybe having developed them from the HIV itself?  That's a different story seeing as they could've had HIV for a really long time.  Atripla from personal experience has caused some weight issues, but I think that saying without a doubt Atripla is causing him lipo issues is unproven.

I posted recently though that I'm beginning to have some sides from what I would assume is the atripla because I'm starting to have some severe anxiety. 

As for plagiarizing me, I'm not the only one who's said that and I'm more curious to know when exactly I espoused it.

Found it after 15 mins of looking:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=31360.msg383463#msg383463

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:01 am »
Ohhhhhhh... YOU've had ____ experience with HIV and therefore _____ must be true because no one else's experience could POSSIBLY be different!  SOOOOO gooooood to KNOW!!!  

wtf -- if you don't agree with Philly's comment, fine -- but please refrain from pot stirring. Next time, a simple "I disagree" will suffice. 

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24:00 am »
Tim, this is exactly what people are referring to when they complain about moderator favoritism.  You should have just as well warned philly for being consistently dismissive of other members feelings and experiences as the way I chose to point it out and counter it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:33:44 am by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:25 am »
My post wasn't at all dismissive.  I merely offered an opinion that based on many years of medical care, and not with the same doctor but four of them, that I have had a marked difference with how medical professionals address the issue of lipoatrophy.  This is completely relevant to the thread's subject.

Tim, nor Ann, play favorites with me -- I've received warnings and two time outs in the past.  If you have a personal issue with me and/or have a marked dislike please wisely utilize the "ignore" button and don't read my posts.  That's your prerogative and why that function exists.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 10:53:42 am »
Ohhhhhhh... YOU've had ____ experience with HIV and therefore _____ must be true because no one else's experience could POSSIBLY be different!  SOOOOO gooooood to KNOW!!! 

Tim, this is exactly what people are referring to when they complain about moderator favoritism.  You should have just as well warned philly for being consistently dismissive of other members feelings and experiences as the way I chose to point it out and counter it.

As Philly points out, his posts were not dismissive. He was offering his opinion based on years of experience.

As Tim said, you could have simply expressed your own opinion that you disagreed with what Philly said. But what you did was the cyber equivalent to poking him in the chest with your finger while you stated your opinion. You certainly were pot-stirring and trying to provoke an angry response. That much is quite clear.

And that was pretty rich coming from you, someone who complains about this type of behaviour from others.

Consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Why would you be sharing "your experience" in this instance but to delegitimize and subtract from a claim that was already made?  You certainly weren't providing your experience  to give moral or emotional support.  Nor were you using your experience to provide a concrete example of how to handle a problem.  You were only using it as a way to trump something I had said, namely that doctors have a history of being dismissive.  

I don't block you because, frankly, as offensive as you can sometimes be, I find a lot of the things you write to be smart and meaningful.  There are plenty of members whose contributions I've found to be meaningless, and they have been placed on block.  They still usually respond to my post two or three posts at a time or attack in packs, but editing them from the discourse I experience has made things a lot nicer, and whole threads flow smoothely even after their posts have been abruptly removed.  I don't think that would happen without you.  I'm not going to sit by in wide-eyed deference as you subtlely put down myself or other members on here by citing your own personal experience in a context that is clearly meant to take away from our opinions.  If calling you out on this tendency is "stirring the pot" then maybe I should have thought of the name spoon first.  

To those of you with your mouse fingers currently fluttering away at the "report to moderator" button with some half-cocked explanation as to how this offends you, I kindly ask that you direct your energies towards something more productive than having certain members banned for nothing at all.  There is so much work that needs done in HIV, from advocating for a cure to the provision of meds.  Do something positive with your life, besides letting Tim Horn know that I responded with something other than polite deference to Phillicias dismissal of other people.
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:49 am »

And that was pretty rich coming from you, someone who complains about this type of behaviour from others.

Consider yourself warned.

Ann

there was ONE instance in which I complained about a member inciting me.  Unlike this thread, the member had jumped in without reason AND you conspicuously declined to publicly warn him.  My complaint was ONLY that he got away with provoking me while I was banned for responding to his harsh statements.  You're just further demonstrating moderator bias here Anne.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:15:37 am by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 11:18:38 am »
ps, I don't consider calling my statement "pretty rich" to be any less provocative than anything I wrote.  Maybe you should be giving yourself a warning too?
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 11:52:53 am »
hi,
has anyone experienced facial lipo whilst on atripla? I've been on it for 4 months now.
mainly i have a thinning of the face with deepening of the naso-labial folds.
I have lost weight recently, from 72 to 67 kg.
i just think it's best to flag this stuff early - easier to prevent than wait until it's too late to reverse.
also what are the risks with changing meds only 4 months in? (this is my first treatment with meds, diagnosed in 2006)

You also have to keep in mind that those naso-labial folds begin to become more pronounced around the age of 40, experienced some of this myself actually.  I've just noticed you were 35, it might be something to keep in mind. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:59 am »
Wtfimpoz,

Thanks for your thoughts - yep I really really want a cure for this disease and think the only way we can do this is lobby and push for it - until funding stops going towards more treatment / prevention / etc and goes towards the woefully underfunded area of cure research.

I did post a question asking for the best charity to donate towards for cure research but didn't get very far.

Maybe there is no such charity with a cure for a specific goal?

From my own point of view, I came to this forum to ask some questions - from fellow poz people. My experience with my GP is that he is often not very forthcoming when I ask him questions. I feel like he thinks I am questioning his experience and his treatment decisions, even though I respect him and his years of experience. It is me, however, who must take the meds on a daily basis and will suffer any side-effects, though, so being as informed as possible seems the best way.

I have had mega mega anxiety since starting Atripla - in some ways this is from being in denial from diagnosis 4 years ago to starting meds 4 months ago. On top of this, my partner was diagnosed with cancer recently, which has added to the stress. But I also realise that Atripla can exacerbate psychiatric problems such as depression.

I am getting this seen to with a psychiatrist and psychologist but am resisting going onto anti-depressants - hopefully I can get my stuff together soon. I don't want MORE meds in my system.

I know changing meds is also an option due to the psychiatric side effects, but I would sort of feel like I was taking a backwards step.

My current thinking is wait and see and try not to crumble in the meantime. I have a loving partner and today came out as poz to my brother which might help too.

Peace,
X

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 09:18:36 am »
I have had mega mega anxiety since starting Atripla - in some ways this is from being in denial from diagnosis 4 years ago to starting meds 4 months ago. On top of this, my partner was diagnosed with cancer recently, which has added to the stress. But I also realise that Atripla can exacerbate psychiatric problems such as depression.

I am getting this seen to with a psychiatrist and psychologist but am resisting going onto anti-depressants - hopefully I can get my stuff together soon. I don't want MORE meds in my system.

I know changing meds is also an option due to the psychiatric side effects, but I would sort of feel like I was taking a backwards step.

You know....  there's this whole menu of HAART drugs that can keep the virus under control.  Some are prescribed as a single pill; some in multiple pills -- some are once a day; some twice -- some (like Atripla) are best coordinated around when you eat; others are not.  And they all have potential side effects.  But the good thing is that those side effects are often only potential; some people get them and some do not. 

So instead of thinking that changing Atripla would be a step back, why not think of it as a step forward?  As in. you've got a combo that works and now you'd like a combo that works and doesn't make you nuts?  And since the only component you need to change is the sustiva part of Atripla, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about what s/he thinks combines well and conveniently with Truvada. 

Truvada/Isentress for instance is a very easy combo for most (although not for me) -- even though it is twice a day, because the second pill is heat stable and doesn't need to be coordinated with meals, you can just put it in your pocket and take it where-ever you happen to be at the right time.

Be well
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:31 pm »
Wtfimpoz,

Thanks for your thoughts - yep I really really want a cure for this disease and think the only way we can do this is lobby and push for it - until funding stops going towards more treatment / prevention / etc and goes towards the woefully underfunded area of cure research.

I recently talked to Kate Krauss, who is the executive director of the Aids Policy Project, a group which lobbies for a cure for HIV.  One of the first things she stated was that it is important to NOT take away from funding for things like treatment, prevention, vaccine research, etc.  I realize that this is a little hard for people wanting a cure to stomach, but when you think about it, it is the MOST logical way to go about attacking the issue.  Like anything, the HIV complex is a bureaucracy and those in it are interested in protecting their jobs.  The moment you start advocating for the allocation of funds AWAY from one thing in favor of another, you start advocating the elimination of people's jobs and you make enemies.  Further, if something like a vaccine is in fact possible and a cure is not, you do harm to countless millions of people who will some day become infected.  The focus should be on increasing funding for a cure without necessarily taking away from other parts of the puzzle.

As for which charity is best to donate to, that is a question I've been asking myself.  It appears that the vast majority of HIV research relies almost exlusively on institutional and government and grants.  Unlike, say, the Komen foundation which seems to channel large sums of money from small private and individual sources resulting in a big effect, there IS no way to get your individual donation to the scientists that need it.  This is really too bad, because a lot of what these people need is a pittance.  It seems to me that if every pozzie in the US donated just a few dollars, we could fund some of the most promising research opportunities that are stalled by a lack of funding.  Kate recommended a letter writing campaign to your senator and local representative as a good start.  What state/country do you live in?

I would love to elaborate on this discussion.  The activism forum is the correct place for it.  If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to start a thread over there and we could discuss options for making the best move possible.   
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »
Wait Im lost.... So does Atripla have a high chance or developing lipo/facial lipo or not? The thread went of topic so I'm unsure. I tried looking at another threads but the results are mixed. I may be starting atripla soon but REALLY concerned about the fat changes.

Are there are studies where I can read about Atripla and the rate of lipo? Thanks,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »
I have no idea what percentage of people develop lipo on Atripla.  However, I just received my refill for Atripla and I was reading the medication insert that came with the meds.  Under the section of "Possible side effects while using this medicine"

it states "CHANGES IN BODY FAT (eg, an increased amount of fat in the upper back, neck, breast, and trunk, and loss of fat from the legs, arms, and face) may occur in some patients while taking this medicine.

ALso to note...the capitalization was not me.  Thats how its written in the insert.  All the other side effects are in lower case except for changes in body fat, thats in all caps. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
I have no idea what percentage of people develop lipo on Atripla.  However, I just received my refill for Atripla and I was reading the medication insert that came with the meds.  Under the section of "Possible side effects while using this medicine"

it states "CHANGES IN BODY FAT (eg, an increased amount of fat in the upper back, neck, breast, and trunk, and loss of fat from the legs, arms, and face) may occur in some patients while taking this medicine.

ALso to note...the capitalization was not me.  Thats how its written in the insert.  All the other side effects are in lower case except for changes in body fat, thats in all caps. 

I think almost all HIV medications say that.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:15 pm »
Study the possibility of lipo with your doctor and over time with some sort of objective evaluation - not just your own observation and fears.

Yes, people can usually switch combos, except in cases where only one combo works on a resistant infection.

I think the heated tone is the result of people not wanting a baseless fear of rapid lipo being spread in these forums.

People can have all sorts of body image fears about HIV and HAART but these possible complications are so individual its best to put it to doctors trained to sort it out objectively.  If you think a doctor is poo-pooing a fear or an observation, thats an opportunity for a second opinion AND for some soul-searching about one's own fears and body issues and ones relationship with a particular doctor.

There's always a very important reason someone is started on HAART and the key to successful living is dealing with the essentials now, and the good stuff now, and only dealing with complications as they arise.

Fears of "what if" are not going to help anyone whatsoever.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:07:23 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Nate

Exercise Can Help Reduce Lipo
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 05:24:48 am »
I've been on a cocktail containing efavirenz since 2001 ( I believe it was 2001)  and I was afraid of the lipo issue myself.

I did my research and found that one of the keys to the lipo issue is exercise.

What I read was the Lipo is actually a RE-DISTRIBUTION of fat in the subcutaneous layer of the skin.  Fat can be migrated from medicines, but it can also be migrated from exercise.

By working out and exercising regularly you can not only build muscle mass which damn good on a body, but you can also help "force" the fat to remain in place. 

I wish I could cite article I read, but it was years ago when I was also concerned with facial wasting.

If you want more info on it, google excercise and lipo, or a variation there of.

I have never experienced lipo, however, that may be because I exercise regularly and eat a low greasy diet.

I hope this helps!
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Exercise Can Help Reduce Lipo
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »
I've been on a cocktail containing efavirenz since 2001 ( I believe it was 2001)  and I was afraid of the lipo issue myself.

I did my research and found that one of the keys to the lipo issue is exercise.

What I read was the Lipo is actually a RE-DISTRIBUTION of fat in the subcutaneous layer of the skin.  Fat can be migrated from medicines, but it can also be migrated from exercise.

By working out and exercising regularly you can not only build muscle mass which damn good on a body, but you can also help "force" the fat to remain in place. 

I wish I could cite article I read, but it was years ago when I was also concerned with facial wasting.

If you want more info on it, google excercise and lipo, or a variation there of.

I have never experienced lipo, however, that may be because I exercise regularly and eat a low greasy diet.

I hope this helps!

Lipoatrophy is believed to be caused by damage to the mitochondria at the cellular level.

This is from the lessons here:

Mitochondria are considered to be the "powerhouses" of cells in the body. All cells in the body, with the exception of red blood cells, contain mitochondria. They are primarily responsible for converting nutrients, such as sugar and fats, into energy that can be used by the cells. If something goes wrong with the mitochondria, the cell isn't able to get the energy it needs, which can prevent the cell from doing what it is supposed to do. If the cells in question are fat cells (adipocytes), responsible for storing and exporting fat for when it is needed, significant mitochondrial damage can cause these cells to loose both their function and shape, or to die altogether. And if enough fat cells are affected, it can cause noticeable wasting of fat tissue in the face and other parts of the body.

While exercise is certainly good for you, and it can help offset fat loss in arms and legs by building up muscle and giving someone that "cut" look bodybuilders prize, it won't stop the process of lipoatriphy.

Neither, unfortunately, does it seem to help lipoatrophy's cousin, lipohypertrophy. Trust me, I've tried.

Luckily the newer meds are much less prone to these types of side effects, although they are still possible.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.