Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:55:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 664
Total: 665

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What does IP mean on drug names  (Read 23238 times)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
What does IP mean on drug names
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:47:27 pm »
I just got my generic hiv meds thru Canada. The Combivir is called Duovir, and the Viramune is called Nevimune. My question is about the ingredients. The "Viramune" says Nevirapine IP 200mg, and the generica "Combivir" says Lamivudine/Zidovudine 150/300 IP. Does anyone know what the IP means on the ingredient name? I was thinking maybe it means international pharmaceuticals.

Greg

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: What does IP mean on drug names
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:05:09 pm »
drugs have 1 or more proprietry (brand) names and exactly 1 non-proprietry name.

The non-proprietry name is technically the INTERNATIONAL NON-PROPRIETARY NAME.

Nevirapine is the international non-proprietry name for Viramune and Nevimune. Generally, drugs must show which drug is in the pill using the international non-proprietry name so pharmacists and patients know what's what, hence "nevirapine IP" etc.

The international non-proprietry name is sometimes also called the INN.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:11:22 pm »
ah ok. thanks. so what your basically saying is while a drug can have numerous brand names.......they cant change the name of the ingredient.

btw i looked up INTERNATIONAL NON-PROPRIETARY NAME. it's abbreviated INN not IP so not sure if that's what IP is.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:12:17 pm by gregftl »

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:42:35 pm »
Yah I was right that's not what IP means. I got an explanation from candrugstore customer service of what IP stand for after the ingredient name:

IP stands for Indian Pharmacopoeia.

The *Indian Pharmacopoeia* is an official drug compendium of the Indian sub-continent^ and is the sole authority for all prescription and over – the – counter medicines and other health care products manufactured or sold in India. IP(usually suffixed with the respective year of publication for e.g. IP 1996) is published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission which is an Autonomous Institution under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India dedicated for setting of standards for drugs, pharmaceuticals and healthcare devices/ technologies etc besides providing Reference Substances and Training.

Offline newt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:55:10 pm »
Same thing, just Indian, there will be (at least) at Spanish version too. It indicates the approved generic name for the licensing authority.

- matt

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:36:50 am »
god i hate when people cant admit when they are wrong. ugh know-it-alls!

Offline newt

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »
Me to. I stand corrected. - matt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.