Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 123
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I did something good!  (Read 20822 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
I did something good!
« on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:33 pm »
So, my roommate Liz is a journalism major at VCU.

She had written this absolutely boring article about something and her professor ripped her a new one about what is called, in journalism, "the lead."

I wrote her a new one.

It was used in class today as the example of a perfect narrative lead.

She got the credit, which of course I knew she would... but it feels nice to have been recognized... even in an indirect manner. 

Go me!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: I did something good!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:20:22 pm »
Next time I have to write a speech I'll know where to come... ;)

Now how are you with bedtime stories?... :D

Glad you were able to help her get her credits.

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:23:26 pm »
Back in my day that was called cheating.  What do you call it now?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 06:24:42 pm »
So let's get the whole deal here.

What was the narrative lead you wrote for her!!!???

Tell!
Andy Velez

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:34:30 pm »
Back in my day that was called cheating.  What do you call it now?

I'm not a student... so I call it "helping a very good friend."

And Andy... this is what I wrote for her lead.

"The walkway leading into Lois Love's home was an unrestricted path for vagrants, vandals and trespassers, but it was also an open invitation to neighbors, friends, and her community. 

With the addition of a simple metal gate, Love kept out those who might do her harm, but she also divorced herself from part of her community, especially members of the West Grace Street Association." 

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:43:27 pm »
I see 'helping a very good friend' is the new terminology for cheating. 

My 17 year old standing behind me calls BS on your explanation.

His thought about your 'new' terminology......."in other words he's still cheating". 

Out of the mouths of babes.....amazing the clarity they have....there is hope for the future!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 06:51:40 pm »

His thought about your 'new' terminology......."in other words he's still cheating". 

Out of the mouths of babes.....amazing the clarity they have....there is hope for the future!

Hmm.

I suppose I could mention the fact that she did all the work... interviewing everyone in City Hall about this story, sitting in on interminable City Council meetings to be able to write the vast majority of what this story was about... essentially doing all the grunt work... and I wrote two tiny paragraphs for her, making this really boring story about a woman in Richmond who put up a gate against the wishes of the City Council... two tiny paragraphs to make it seem slightly more interesting than it was.  After she'd been agonizing over this story for hours and had been embarrassed by her professor for writing a bad lead... and after all I've been through with this chick... if I can sit down and help her with less than 100 words... then I will.

I want her to do well in her class, she's smart enough to see why what I wrote for her got recognized, and she won't need my help in the future, and it's not like her success is to my detriment. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:55:21 pm »
Benj,

Elizabeth is right. No amount of rationalising is going to change the fact that your flattie has plagiarised your work. Essentially she's passing off your work as hers. The fact that you've participated willingly compounds the offence, making it "collusion".

This is academic misconduct. Naughty!

But be of good cheer! Matty the Damned reckons it's only a problem if she gets caught. And no matter what happens, she'll be more than qualified to work for the New York Times.

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 07:03:42 pm »
Benj,

Elizabeth is right. No amount of rationalising is going to change the fact that your flattie has plagiarised your work. Essentially she's passing off your work as hers. The fact that you've participated willingly compounds the offence, making it "collusion".

This is academic misconduct. Naughty!

But be of good cheer! Matty the Damned reckons it's only a problem if she gets caught. And no matter what happens, she'll be more than qualified to work for the New York Times.

MtD

Actually, I willingly gave her the rights to say it was her work, so what does that make it then?

Jesus Fucking Christ... it's not like everything has been really sunshine and fucking daisies for me right now.  I was just proud of the fact that I'd written something that got recognized by a PhD.

So, the fact that I knew my insurance was going to run out and tried to get 90 day prescriptions... should my doc and I have run it by the the fucking ethics department before or after I tried to have those filled?

Jesus. 

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for pissing all over it.

I was trying to extract a tiny bit of good from what happened today... but whatever.

Jesus.

Offline fearless

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 07:13:46 pm »
Hey Benj,

It's actually quite a good lead in to the article. You've captured the essence of the story in the first two sentences, precisely what a good article should do.

And, if you can't help your friends, who can you help.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 07:16:37 pm »
Hey Benj,

It's actually quite a good lead in to the article. You've captured the essence of the story in the first two sentences, precisely what the lead in should do.

And, if you can't help your friends, who can you help.

Thank you!

It really was a completely boring article.   ;)   All about this woman who wanted to put up a fence in the Fan (a historic district of Richmond) and blah blah blah.

She helped me out enormously on the day I was diagnosed... so I try to make it up to her whenever possible... regardless of ethical quibbles.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 07:20:33 pm »
Actually, I willingly gave her the rights to say it was her work, so what does that make it then?

Jesus Fucking Christ... it's not like everything has been really sunshine and fucking daisies for me right now.  I was just proud of the fact that I'd written something that got recognized by a PhD.

So, the fact that I knew my insurance was going to run out and tried to get 90 day prescriptions... should my doc and I have run it by the the fucking ethics department before or after I tried to have those filled?

Jesus.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for pissing all over it.

I was trying to extract a tiny bit of good from what happened today... but whatever.

Jesus.

Oh Benj! You're more than welcome. Matty the Damned is always happy to piss on what little sunshine warms your day.

He's that sorta chap.  ;)

And you can give her all the rights you want. If she didn't acknowledge you as the source, it's plagiarism.

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 07:28:07 pm »
And you can give her all the rights you want. If she didn't acknowledge you as the source, it's plagiarism.

MtD

Moi, je m'en fous.

But really, from the bottom of my fucking heart... from the lowest part of my right ventricle... thank you.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 07:29:55 pm »
Journalism students help each other out all the time.  What Benj did will help his friend to write a better lead next time. It's common practice.  But it stops when they enter the real world of Journalism, which is very cutthroat, and all the "ethics" they teach you go right out the window the day you get your diploma.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »
Moi, je m'en fous.

But really, from the bottom of my fucking heart... from the lowest part of my right ventricle... thank you.

"A" for Passive Aggressions

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »
"A" for Passive Aggressions

Edited to removed what I said that would have gotten me in trouble.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »
Well thanks.

I would like to thank everyone who jumped up my ass during a time when I'm feeling extraordinarily upset and merely posted a thread about something slightly cool that happened that made me feel good.

Thank you so much.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:48:24 pm »
Well thanks.

I would like to thank everyone who jumped up my ass during a time when I'm feeling extraordinarily upset and merely posted a thread about something slightly cool that happened that made me feel good.

Thank you so much.

Oh Benj! This is the thing about saying stuff in public. You don't always get the responses you want. So you helped your flattie. Good for you doll. You're a lion amongst queens. Totally worth your weight in cocaine.

But no matter how noble your intentions, this is still academic misconduct. Cheating. I've no doubt that under the rules of the instituion your friend has committed a mendacious act.

Now that's cool. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Do as you please. But it is what it is. Matty the Damned and Elizabeth have a long standing reputation in this place for calling things for what they are.

If that harshes your buzz, well you'll just have to cope.

Now run along and have another mimosa. It sounds like you need one.

Fondles,

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 08:03:27 pm »
If that harshes your buzz, well you'll just have to cope.

Words which I shall use as comfort unto my end.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:12:36 pm by aupointillimite »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:07 pm »

"The walkway leading into Lois Love's home was an unrestricted path for vagrants, vandals and trespassers, but it was also an open invitation to neighbors, friends, and her community. 

With the addition of a simple metal gate, Love kept out those who might do her harm, but she also divorced herself from part of her community, especially members of the West Grace Street Association." 

Dam, that's GOOD. Omigod, you so screwed your flatmate up. She's going to have to do THAT GOOD or BETTER from now on. Hehe.

Insofar as the naysayers go, eh. PLaying strictly by the rules will het ya killed in this world.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:16 pm »

Dam, that's GOOD. Omigod, you so screwed your flatmate up. She's going to have to do THAT GOOD or BETTER from now on. Hehe.

Insofar as the naysayers go, eh. PLaying strictly by the rules will het ya killed in this world.

Indeed it will. 

Actually, I read her stuff today... she took the stylistic lesson I inadvertently taught her and has run somewhat wild with it.

She's doing well...

And playing by the rules to the letter is for pussies, I think.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 08:15:33 pm »
PS: You think being brutally honest is th ebst course of action? Try applying for Social Security Disability, Ryan White, Section 8 apartment assistance, et al. Then, when HIV becomes less of an issue and you are ready to work, try putting "I spent ten years crapping myself with HIV but I'm your go-to guy now" on your resume. And don't forget to mention the pot you have to smoke in order oto stave off PN or the vomits.

We lie each and every day of our lives. And those who say they don't? They scare the crap out of me, because they are either liears of the worst possible sort, or they will rat you out in a heartbeat because they trust a system that is broken and malignantly malicious.

People. Suck.

Like I keep saying, the only place I draw the line is at mean. Don't be mean. In this weary world, the absence of malice is what passes for heroic. You wrote your friend's paper. Cool deal. She has to write the next one. Unless she intends to employ you as her Guy Friday, which can be lucrative.

Cheating?

What do you call an insurance company risking your health with their arbitrary pill distribution? What do you call our devoted nurse Lisa illegally transferring meds from those who cannot take them to those who desperately need them? What do you call being paid under the table when SSDI and SSI don't allow you to eat any fod product without the word "RAMEN" in the title?

Yeah, hang around this world a little, hang around the BS of beurocracy a bit, live with HIV eating your brain, and then come to me and talk about cheating.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to perform an illegan act or two. You are all in my thoughts.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 08:17:40 pm »
As always I never see the accident, I arrive after the fact.

After reading the entire thread I quibble with calling what benj did cheating or even plagiarism since he simply wrote a 2 line summary, AKA the lead, for an entire article his roommate wrote by herself.  In this case it seems like one student getting help from a more knowledgeable student, especially since Liz apparently had no clue how to write a lead but with benj's example she'll ostensibly do better herself next time.  If she always comes to benj for leads I'd question her ability but as long as she's doing the actual work of reporting the inability to compose a lead is of minor importance.  She may be a great reporter but not good at succinct summaries. 

While technically one might say his assistance was cheating I think it's a little harsh given the actual events.  Liz asked for help in creating a lead, an effort she had just failed in, and he gave her one.  Liz wrote the entire article which the professor apparently found acceptable but her lead wasn't right.  The new lead, from benj, was good enough to be cited as best example for the day.  Was Liz supposed to cave in and admit benj wrote it?  She may need benj's help again but eventually she'll have to write her own leads, after learning what a lead is from benj or the professor or by her own cognition.

I hate to see nice folks argue about something as relatively unimportant as this topic.  That's all I have to say, thanks.

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 08:33:41 pm »

I fail to see how the ethical status of Benj's particular action has anything to do with his age, or the future. 
After all, there are plenty of old liars, and honest young people.  While what Benj did may be dubious in your mind, I would counter that there are better ways to express that then what I would consider to be a personal attack.  The world is not coming to an end because you think someone is cheating.  Nor, if he were proven to be doing so, would he be the first.  Dishonesty is, after all, something learned from one's elders.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 09:09:31 pm »
i've thought getting an education was like a communicable sexual disease. it made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you have the urge to pass it on.
  >>did i write that? <<   
 maybe.  ..~jordon

>the graveyards are full of indespensible men <    charles de gaulle
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 10:24:26 am »

In the REAL world it is done the way of the pointed one!  *I* call it teamwork and collaboration.  And arent THOSE the values you want to teach to your children in this iconoclastic me me me world we live in?! 

In this world where friend turns on friend and we have the Anna Nicole SAGA unfolding before our eyes don't we want to show our children that they should reach out to friends in need.  And work TOGETHER to reach an ultimate goal.  It promotes bonding and unity in a world sadly lacking those very human traits! 

So I say to you my fellow members of Aidsmeds, BRAVO to The Pointed One!  Bravo, for standing up in the face of tyranny and uniting with a loved one!  Bravo, for standing up for what this country is all about!  You my friend are a true patriot.

(THAT is how you spin "cheating"!  Any questions?)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:27:25 am by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:18 am »
Well thanks.

Thank you so much.

WOW this went south fast.  I thought it was AWESOME and I mean that.  Your skill with language is a valuable asset.  Keep using it.
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 10:30:46 am »
I fail to see how the ethical status of Benj's particular action has anything to do with his age, or the future. 
After all, there are plenty of old liars, and honest young people.  While what Benj did may be dubious in your mind, I would counter that there are better ways to express that then what I would consider to be a personal attack.  The world is not coming to an end because you think someone is cheating.  Nor, if he were proven to be doing so, would he be the first.  Dishonesty is, after all, something learned from one's elders.

In all fairness im 99% sure Elizabeth was referring to her child.
RIDE!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 01:30:55 pm »
According to my ASO, you can donate writing skills to help PWHA's in AIDS activism. This is likely what *I* will do since I've been racking my brain as to what I could possibly contribute as a fledgling activist. See below

1. http://www.gmhc.org/policy/activism/oped.html
2. http://www.gmhc.org/policy/activism/legislators.html

Edited: PWA's changed to PWHA's

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:15:38 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:16 pm »
I thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I read your own tale of how your neighbor came over, and you ignored him because you weren't in the mood, and you didn't tell him this is how you felt. 

So, it's ironic when you write:"The walkway leading into Lois Love's home was an unrestricted path for vagrants, vandals and trespassers, but it was also an open invitation to neighbors, friends, and her community. 

Apparently the walkway into your home is not an open invitation, and as you've pointed out particularly when Law & Order is being aired. 

I also saw how you were praised for your writing and perhaps you just wanted us to know you had proof that you write well. 

Now, you've drawn criticism for your action by some and still praise from others. 

I wonder myself why didn't you explain to your friend that you weren't in the mood for company as opposed to just ignoring him.  Then I did see that you were only 24 and thought that could be an explanation, but as I've been on the receiving end of similar behavior, I know that it isn't specific to any particular age but more to a level of maturilty, perhaps.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 09:29:33 pm »
I thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I read your own tale of how your neighbor came over, and you ignored him because you weren't in the mood, and you didn't tell him this is how you felt. 

So, it's ironic when you write:"The walkway leading into Lois Love's home was an unrestricted path for vagrants, vandals and trespassers, but it was also an open invitation to neighbors, friends, and her community. 

Apparently the walkway into your home is not an open invitation, and as you've pointed out particularly when Law & Order is being aired. 

I also saw how you were praised for your writing and perhaps you just wanted us to know you had proof that you write well. 

Now, you've drawn criticism for your action by some and still praise from others. 

I wonder myself why didn't you explain to your friend that you weren't in the mood for company as opposed to just ignoring him.  Then I did see that you were only 24 and thought that could be an explanation, but as I've been on the receiving end of similar behavior, I know that it isn't specific to any particular age but more to a level of maturilty, perhaps.

Duly noted.

And your efforts taken to get to know me individually?

Duly appreciated.

And the condescending remarks?

Doubly appreciated.

Cheers.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:37 pm »
aupointillimite, when I took my college writing and speaking we always worked in teams of four and we help each other. You wouldn't ever get a curve on the grading and each one of our grades were averaged to give us our grade. So you did your best to make sure everyone did well.

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37:10 pm »
Well, I thought I'd call, but then I know how frequentl Law & Order airs on USA today.  In fact, there was just a Law & Order marathon on the other day when I arrived at the hotel in Bethesda. 

I'd say that since I took the time to read what you've wrote and responded that I have taken interest. 

Do your friends just tell you things that you like hearing?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:52 pm »
Well, I thought I'd call, but then I know how frequentl Law & Order airs on USA today.  In fact, there was just a Law & Order marathon on the other day when I arrived at the hotel in Bethesda. 

I'd say that since I took the time to read what you've wrote and responded that I have taken interest. 

Yes.  I am so insecure with myself that I absolutely have to be surrounded by sycophants at all times.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 11:10:17 pm »

Generally thats why they are our friends! 

Cue the "true friends tell you the truth" speech....  aaaaand ACTION!
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 11:12:48 pm »
Generally thats why they are our friends! 

Cue the "true friends tell you the truth" speech....  aaaaand ACTION!

Cue the "you can't handle the truth" speech!

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 11:22:29 pm »
I personally think you did a wonderful thing....
With as much as you have had going on in your life, to take a step back and help someone else is amazing.  That marks you as a true friend to her, that you put her problems before your own.  Some make call it cheating, but at the end of the day, you have to lay down with your own demons and face it. 

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 11:25:12 pm »
I personally think you did a wonderful thing....
With as much as you have had going on in your life, to take a step back and help someone else is amazing.  That marks you as a true friend to her, that you put her problems before your own.  Some make call it cheating, but at the end of the day, you have to lay down with your own demons and face it. 

Wow!  Thank you!

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 11:30:22 pm »
You are welcome....

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 11:31:16 pm »
RE your writing..look in my thread 'talents' in off topic if you would be so kind. Don't know the product yet but JEEZ we'll sell it to em!
(And we know u really a fluffy bunny, just brimming over with compassion)
we all have the right to be human
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 11:33:39 pm »
Don't know the product yet but JEEZ we'll sell it to em!

Crib sheets for frazzled undergraduates?

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 11:36:51 pm »
RE your writing..look in my thread 'talents' in off topic if you would be so kind. Don't know the product yet but JEEZ we'll sell it to em!
(And we know u really a fluffy bunny, just brimming over with compassion)
we all have the right to be human

Ooooh!  I"ll use my Jew talents to sell it!    ;D

My father taught me lots and lots about ripping off helping people buy things they need.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 11:58:03 pm »

I would recommend, as this is primarily a support group, that before you start tearing into people on Odd Topic threads, maybe offering some support would establish you as a decent guy with a vested interest in the well being of others with HIV.

Just Saying.

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »
Don't know the product yet but JEEZ we'll sell it to em!

Crib sheets for frazzled undergraduates?

MtD

They don't even have to be frazzled. Just drunk :)

Welcome Thread

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:44 am »
I would recommend, as this is primarily a support group, that before you start tearing into people on Odd Topic threads, maybe offering some support would establish you as a decent guy with a vested interest in the well being of others with HIV.

Just Saying.

One would think. 

Although "lecturing others about something about which one knows nothing" tends to be a favorite human pastime... or so I've learned over the course of my very, very short life... so I could be wrong. 

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 01:22:03 am »
jkinatl2,

Just Saying.

If this comment was meant for me:

You're kidding, this is primarily a support group! (I'm sure I'm as entitled to my sarcasm as much as anyone else here.)

Odd topic thread(Off topic thread--I'm guessing may or may not be about support, may or may not be about HIV

I feel quite certain that any of my postings under this Off topic thread weren't about tearing anyone apart. (Is being proud that you ignored your neighbor because he just dropped by and you didn't want to be bothered a better quality in a person?

I don't feel the need to prove whether or not I am a decent guy.  (And you don't need me to tell you that everyone is allowed to draw their own conclusions about that)

I don't only care about or want to have a vested interest in people with HIV................I care about all people with or without HIV.  I'm very thankful for the people that don't have HIV that are helping to take care of those of us with HIV through research, any kind of support, or in their careers.   

So, should I conclude that you only care to have people lionize aupointillimite?  Or just that I should express my feelings in a manner in which you find appealing?

Is it supportive to ignore someone that has made it a point to come and see you? 

Just saying.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 01:28:13 am »
Deleted because it was probably inappropriate and definitely unimportant.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:20:54 am by aupointillimite »

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:11 am »
Is this your treating me the way you'd like to be treated?  Did I use profanity with you to express myself?  I don't know what your neighbor had been through that day either. 

Sincerely,
Scott

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 01:44:37 am »
Deleted because it was probably only slightly less appropriate and definitely even more unimportant.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:22:11 am by aupointillimite »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:39 am »
Just because it's Off Topic doesn't mean that flamebaiting is encouraged.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.