Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:41:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 590
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 578
Total: 578

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Christmas eve in the ER  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Almost2late

Christmas eve in the ER
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:18:56 am »
First off hello to all and Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, its been a while..

A couple of weeks ago I had an infected finger tip, so I had it treated at the urgent care. They cut it to drain it but no puss. Gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics and sent me on my way.

After a couple of days I noticed it wasn't getting better, so went in to see my primary and she pretty much told me that if it gets worse to come back and finish my antibiotics. I didn't think much of it but the damn finger was sore and swollen so I figured let's just finish the prescription as instructed.

Well, this past Saturday I finished my prescription and my finger was still swollen but not as painful.
Two days later, last night I'm sitting on my couch and when I touched my arm it felt sore, like I was hit by something. Rolled up my sleeve and my forearm was red and sore.
I knew that fucking infection had spread. So went to the ER this time and the doctor asked a few questions and he concluded it's
Cellutitis and that it's possible that when I tore a hang nail with my teeth, I probably caught a bacterial infection from my own mouth, and the antibiotic I was taking was not strong enough. So he cut my finger open to drain the pus and there was a lot. He also took a sample of the pus for labs and told me that if they find something else in the pus they may have to change my antibiotic treatment. I just hope this doesn't get anymore serious than what it is. It may be staph, just hope it's the treatable kind if it is.

Also read that some people with aids die from staph infections.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Christmas eve in the ER
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
Yikes,

Sounds scary and sorry to hear that you are sick with an infection, that is shit particularly at Christmas.

Hugs & Hopefully the antibiotics you now have are effective and you start to feel better soon.

Try not to get ahead with thinking "what ifs" its untreatable or gets worse, little point stressing about "what ifs" and scaring yourself.

some people with aids die from staph infections.

Far more simple with this small correction.

Anyhow feel better soon, do keep us posted.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:51:52 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 08:17:05 pm »

ojo.    Hello there... I'm sorry for what you're going through. I agree with Jim, don't worry until you have something to worry about. I don't think that you have AIDS, do you?... Relax and I'm sure  you are going to be okay... Get well and please keep us posted. Merry Christmas...hugs.    ojo
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:21:36 pm by Tonny2 »

Offline Jackmydin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:32:48 am »
Wish you well for the holiday season :( bad case for such timing. Hope the infection clear off itself after appropriate treatment is given to you.

Take care.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:34:03 am »
Sepsis is a real worry for anyone with a bacterial infection (HIV+ or not), but it sounds like you have done all the right things and eventually the antibiotics will sort it out.

Hope it gets better quickly :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 09:52:20 am »
If anything - you probably already know this - you're among a group of folk who absolutely can relate to how a small infection can scare the willies out of you.  So many of us have been down that road.  And, yeah, until you see some progress in the healing, the "what ifs" may be unavoidable.

You're doing all the right, responsible stuff and fortunately it sounds like you're dealing with people who take your concerns seriously.  That's a good thing.  Heal well!
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline initforlife

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 03:09:14 am »
Hi almost been awhile don't freak out.I was in the hospital for same thing but in my leg and they never did figure why my leg got so bad I was in there three day on iv antibiotics all my test came back neg for any kind of bacteria. My leg if fine now.just fighting a nasty chest cold since Christmas eve  hope you had a great Christmas.anyway just wait and see what test shows it takes a couple days to grow to know what kind and how to treat an infection
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:51:00 pm »
Hi, almost,

It's been a while.  Please take care.
DanielTakashi
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 02:45:49 pm »
Hiya

Have not seen an update but hoping it's just that you are doing well and just busy.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.