Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:58:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 473
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: IV drug use and my fears....  (Read 3246 times)

Offline skootlebee

IV drug use and my fears....
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:44:09 am »
Hi everyone....I'm here because I'm worried about my health. Here's a little background and a long story made short. My ex boyfriend and I stopped seeing each other about 2 months ago. During our relationship I learned he was a heroin addict and his preference was to mainline the drug. He informed me that he had been using for years and he couldn't hide it from me anymore. Unfortunately I ended up getting mixed up in it as well. We did share needles and on top of that we were having unprotected sex. I am now clean and ashamed of my behavior, but for some reason the fear of contracting any kind of disease just wasn't there....until about 2 weeks ago when I started feeling strange. It started out with a painful throat. It didn't really hurt unless I swallowed and I chalked that up to possibely a cold. Then the pain in my neck started. It was so severe that I had migrains and lightheadedness daily for a week. I've never had a migrain in my life. I also found myself waking up drenched with sweat which I've also never experienced. And now I am fighting off sores on the bottom of my tongue and bruising on my arms and legs. Even while all this was going on I still didn't know what my symptoms might be from until I did some research a few days ago because they weren't going away. I'm feeling a little better except for the sores. I am not scared out of my mind but I am concerned. I don't know who else my ex has shared needles with. Also he was very secretive. When I found out he was an addict he told me he was at the hospital numerous times to be tested and make sure he didn't "have" something. I took him to the emergency room a few months ago. He had been there before in the past but when they asked his name he gave them a fake name and social. I'm now wondering if they had his status in his file and he was afraid I would find out. I have not spoken to him and he would not tell me if he did know. I am planning on getting tested and trying to find a clinic in my area. Thankyou for listening. I just wanted to share my concerns with others that may be in my shoes or have been before.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: IV drug use and my fears....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:52:33 am »
Skoot, forget about your ex-bf as a source of information about his HIV status or yours.

You're the one who has to take care of yourself. You had unprotected intercourse with him over an extended period as well as shared needles. So the bottom line is that you need to get tested. You should do that at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected intercourse. And since sharing needles was involved, just as a precaution you ought to re-test at 6 months to confirm what will hopefully be your initial negative result.

None of the physical symptoms you have mentioned are in any way HIV specific. If they continue you should discuss them with your doctor. Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the appropriate time will give you a reliable result.

In terms of the future you need to keep in mind that anytime you have vaginal or anal intercourse the guy needs to be wearing a condom. It doesn't matter how great he looks or what you think you know about his history. A condom is a must everytime. Period.

Good luck with your test and keep us posted on how it goes.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline ubotts

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:04:38 am »
Andy is right.just worry about yourself...My ex was a drug user and didnt tell me of the hiv status that had been going on for 2 yrs..I was offered a hiv test and they offered money, so i took the test..Not ever
thinking I was hiv..........Lo and behold, i tested positive..My ex is dead and i was left with this gift bestowed
on me by my ex......That $#&%&%#.....Please dont share needles and dont trust anyone who says there
not hiv...You need proof before you have any sexual contact......I hope all goes well for you..Concerned UBotts
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:56:50 pm »
Skoot,

You would also be prudent to test for hepatitis C, as it is much more prevalent in the intravenous drug using community and it's also much easier to transmit when sharing drug injecting equipment in general. While hiv can only be transmitted during injecting when the needle is used directly after the positive person, hep C can be transmitted by also using the same water source, filters or any surface that has gotten some blood on it. Hep C is much more infectious and much more robust than hiv could ever hope to be.

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms will tell you nothing about your hiv or hep C status. Only testing will reliably reveal your status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.