Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 683
Total: 683

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to Conceive and positive, husband is negative, diagnosed in Oct 10  (Read 5880 times)

Offline unichick

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum after doing a bit of googling last night on my phone. I have to say it's a relief to "meet" people in the same boat as me as I have only spoken to one person with the same disease and he's a gay man. I'll give you my story. Myself and my husband have been trying to conceive 2 years now. We finally got an appointment with a fertility clinic and did all the viral screening. I was shocked to be told to arrive at the GUM clinic shortly after and given the news that I may be positive. Husband was also told this. After a few weeks wait we found out I tested positive but husband was thankfully negative. At first I was in total shock and told him to leave me. He would be better off. But he's a great man and we've been together 10 years so he had no intention of doing this.
Our appointment with fertility clinic had to be cancelled as they don't cater for people with this disease. We're currently waiting for a referral to Chelsea Westminister in London. I see some of the ladys here have been there. All experiences of the hospital would be great to hear girls.
So at the minute I'm still not in a great headspace but way better than I was before. CD4 has gone down to 320 with stress. I haven't started on meds yet. My doctor is good but harrassed. She sees 600 patients a month and doesn't have the time to do a letter of referral for weeks. We've been frustrated by the health system. I have been worried that they are so busy they may miss something and I could die. I want to go on meds but she's stalling.  I have been going for counselling and speaking with a HIV charity advisor so I've come a long way.
Any advice and opinions welcome girls. I'd love to correspond too so if you would be interested please let me know. Thanks for listening.

Offline riverlassie

• Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Re: Trying to Conceive and positive, husband is negative, diagnosed in Oct 10
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:09 am »
Hey Unichick , Welcome to the sight though I wish , as I'm sure you do, that you didn't have to find us. But here is where your at  and this is a good place to get to understand things. But let me first tell you that there is still no reason why you shouldn't continue to try to have a child with your hubby. Things have come a long way from when I was diagnosed with being pregnate over 20 years ago. I would of had a son . But that is a different story at a different life time. Nowadys it is soooo much better. . I will be glad to talk with you any time . You can even e-mail me direct at jrflo@comcast.net.  Sometimes a direct line is easier for me than going through all the scrolling here . But you will find many good folks here , men women straight or gay . When it comes to being pos we're all the same.  Just some different personal issues. But support is for all regardless .
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

Offline unichick

Re: Trying to Conceive and positive, husband is negative, diagnosed in Oct 10
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
Hi riverlassie, thanks so much for your reply. I thought no one was going to reply. Sob. I'll drop you an email shortly. Things are getting easier day by day but I do worry about the future ahead. Doctor told me straight away that I can have kids and live a long life but I'm a skeptic (about most things in general) so it's taking me a while to get my head around it all.

If there's anyone who's been to the Chelsea Westminster in London could you please share your stories. We're hoping to go there in the next few months. Thanks.

Offline franfrog

Hi unichick
I can not help you with the being a part of Chelsea Westminster as I am in the US.  I can however let you know I know about being skeptical as far as having a baby and being in your siustion.  Let me give you a quick run of me.  I have 2 kids from previous relationships and my daughters father passed this disease to me.  I only found out about 5 years ago as my daughter is 13.  I have been with my current husband for 10 years almost and I did the same when i found out told him to leave me but that obviosly he did not do.  We have since my diagnosis 5 years ago, 9 weeks ago had a beautiful baby girl.  We did not intend on having children as he has taken my 2 on as his and we were content with that.  Our daughter was a surprise and was conceived the old fashioned way with no fertility help.  My husband still tests negative thank god and my daughter has been going through her testing and is testing negative. 
I know stress right now is a big factor but it will get easier.  It is mangable and a great thing that I know I can and will (am determined) to see ALL of my children graduate get married and have their own children!
If you would like to talk more-like riverlassie said it is easier to email sometimes.  You are more then welcome to email me- franfrog@optonline.net   
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline usernotdefined

Hey Unichick,

I am in the UK and pregnant, I received my positive diagnosis in December 2010 when I was around 11 weeks pregnant. My partner is negative.

My CD4s are fine at the moment but to reduce the risk of me transmitting the virus to my baby I am on short term combination therapy, so being pregnant, or planning a pregnancy should definitely not be a reason for your Dr to delay putting you on meds.

I am proof that having a successful pregnancy while being positive is perfectly possible, have a look through my previous posts and feel free to PM me any questions you have.

Take care,

UND x

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.