Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:20:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 222
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Actor, dies at 46  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz

Offline tednlou2

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Actor, dies at 46
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »
Very sad.  I remembering hearing he had checked into treatment for heroin, earlier this year.  Seems like he had been off it for many years, but started again. 

And, isn't that how many die?  They quit for a while and when they start using again, they use the same amount as before, and it is too much for their body?? 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:08 pm »
I used to work a block away from his apartment.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »
He was a talented actor whose work I admired. He could create a memorable character even in a small role. I guess we will see him again in the next Hunger Games movie in November.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:09:32 pm »
Bugger bugger bugger bugger what a fucking arsehole waste .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:05 pm »
Update: he wasn't found with just a handful of heroin bags, but at least 50 of them. That's way out of control.

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »
A great and still young actor is gone.  Drug addiction does not discriminate in who gets hooked and sick or dead.  Reports on the news say heroin dealers in the East Village who may have sold to Hoffman were busted Tuesday.  Very sad and heroin has returned as a huge problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
Heroin use has skyrocketed here.  They say it is because pain pills have gotten harder to get.  I recently read an article here about Hep C cases on the rise, and they blame it on heroin use.  If that's true, then I have to wonder what kind of increase we will see in HIV infections. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:51:39 am »
Heroin use has skyrocketed here.  They say it is because pain pills have gotten harder to get.  I recently read an article here about Hep C cases on the rise, and they blame it on heroin use.  If that's true, then I have to wonder what kind of increase we will see in HIV infections. 

Are needle exchange programs in the US still prohibited by Federal law? I know they still were about ten years ago, despite the fact that study after study has shown that needle exchange programs do NOT encourage people to inject drugs, but rather have the opposite effect in helping/encouraging more people to get into rehab programs. They are also highly cost-effective due to the disease prevention they provide.

More people will always end up with hep C than hiv through sharing needles. Hep C is much more easily transmitted than hiv, because it's more robust and remains viable outside the body for far longer than hiv. Another reason is because a person with hep C will typically have a VL in the millions, making them comparatively more infectious than someone with (untreated) hiv who will typically only have a VL in the tens of thousands (aside from during primary infection).

There are far more people living with hep C in the US (and world) than there are hiv. In the US an estimated 3.9 million have hep C, compared to 1.1 million with hiv. World-wide, an estimated 130–170 million people have hep C, compared to an estimated 35 million with hiv.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:57:31 am »
I cant remember if it was a state program or not but there was a group in Southern California that would deliver and exchange needles but they required personal information that kept many from using the service .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:03 am »
When I was on Fuzeon but using the Biojector2000 for delivery I took my unused syringes to Prevention Point, the only needle exchange program in Philadelphia (and the state). They have a mobile van unit that does exchanges in many locations throughout the city, since we're evidently the heroin epicenter of the Northeast. There have been 20 overdoses recently related to fentanyl-laced heroin.

A friend of mine also used to take his over to Camden, NJ across the river for a similar program. That one has been running at least six years.

While this is obviously needed nationally I think in high intensity areas it's been allowed to move forward -- QUIETLY.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:04:16 am »
It wasn't just the amount he was using but the quality of the heroin.  Apparently they have extremely potent heroin on the market at the moment.  It is very sad that someone so talented was taken so young.  He had started his road to heroin with pain pill usage years and years ago.  Seems a lot of people go that same route.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:06:27 am »

While this is obviously needed nationally I think in high intensity areas it's been allowed to move forward -- QUIETLY.

Good to hear!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:00 am »
Actually, Ann, I probably should have said "high intensity liberal areas" as I seriously can't see this being done in rural counties in the South with high rates of new infections.

But perhaps I am wrong and someone here can chime in and correct me on this. It's one of the most atrocious facets of the epidemic when the CDC has been pressing politicians for this annually for two decades.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:19 am »
Yes, I realised you probably meant it was happening quietly in liberal urban areas. While it's good that some places are getting around the problem, it totally sucks to the point of being criminal that needle exchange programs aren't available nation-wide. It's like conservative politicians want people to end up with preventable, blood-borne pathogens and other health issues related to sharing (and re-using) syringes. Makes my blood boil. >:(

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:22 am »
Given the evidence from the various now Quite long running needle exchange programs that have been in existence , I do wonder if a action in Law could get anywhere. As the continuing decision to outlaw the programs can not be said to be an evidence based decision .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.