Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hypothetical -- meds question  (Read 3114 times)

Offline surf18

Hypothetical -- meds question
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
In your opinion what do you consider the over all least toxic?
Least toxic as in
-least likely to cause lipo/wasting
-Least likely to affect liver, kidneys
-least likely to cause Cns issues
-least likely to cause gastro issues

So in other words is there a combo out there that you can take and get on with life?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Hypothetical -- meds question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:44:59 pm »
In your opinion what do you consider the over all least toxic?
Least toxic as in
-least likely to cause lipo/wasting
-Least likely to affect liver, kidneys
-least likely to cause Cns issues
-least likely to cause gastro issues

So in other words is there a combo out there that you can take and get on with life?

If you can find an HIV med that causes no gastro issues, you've done the impossible.  With that said EVERY med has some side effect to it.  The most symptom from med combo is most likely Isentress Truvada which is a twice daily regimen instead of a once daily.

With that said Truvada still has a Kidney toxicity issue over time although of course not everyone develops that.  Also, Truvada is included in every first line regimen:

Atripla
Isentress/Truvada
Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
Prezista/Norvir/Truvada

I was looking for the article on the body that details the pros and cons of each but I have to leave for work so I may edit this tonight and include the link.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 05:25:56 pm »
Hi,

Now that there is a choice of combos people get more interested in these issues.

Each med comes with a risk profile (read: risk not necessarily occurrence)

Each patient has a risk profile (preexisting conditions such as diabetes, cholesterol, etc...)

and patients have priorities (I read a thread where the poster is a professional model and was VERY concerned with lipo. Me, I would care less, for example, at my age, concerns are different.

Your doc knows (if experienced) the meds profile. You have to provide your doc with as much info as you have on you medical records and profile (family, ...) and list your priority.

This is some advice I had read in one of the forum. I did as advised and doc came out with the most unexpected combo. And apparently doing fine with regards to MY concerns, which, legitimately could be different from yours.

There is no one fit all answer but it would be use full to have a risk/benefit rating for each med. Some teams (in the UK ? ) are working on this.

I, for one, know MY combo profile and would not comment on combos I do not know.

R means Risk B means Benefits

for example:

Nevirapine:
CNS : R BBB
liver : RR
cholesterol : BBB
kidney : - -
lipo  R (?)
barrier to Resistance : RRR
long term toleability (if virologically efficient) : BBB
, etc., etc.

I did the same for my other 2 (Abacavir , 3TC)

Any time I pass a risk I delete an R from my personal risk list and each time I see a B (for real) then I underline it

So far so good, but I am not yet done with the barrier to resistance : RRR issue...

it is kind of a time consuming and difficult task but it would be a wonderfull contribution to this forum if we could come so some kind of table like this (as a collaborative work)

BTW, I had not noticed gastro risks with the combo I take (except maybe at initiation time).

To me, Isentress + truvada seems to be the best, but, as it turned out it is not the one I am on...

Cheers

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »
With that said EVERY med has some side effect to it.
the reverse is also true though

reading the information about any of the meds, you will find that there is a percentage of people who have 0 side effects. And then there's another percentage of people who only have temporary (< 1 month) side effects as their bodies adjust to the lowering viral load and the increasing med levels in their systems (it's the "disadvantage" of getting better LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:42 pm »

Any first line combo allows you to get on with life. If you think otherwise, you need to learn more about HAART. 

Secondly, everyone is different and a combo that works well for one person may not be the best result for another.  So you'll have to start and if the first combo gives you side effects that hurt your quality of life you can discuss with the doctor for trying another to see if it improves.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.