Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Serosorting? Why do YOU do It/Why Not?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline LostChild89

• The sweetest thing I've ever known...
Serosorting? Why do YOU do It/Why Not?
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:22:22 pm »
I am so confused with the serosorting thing. I would like to begin dating one day soon, since I am finally over the shock and awe of HIV. I'm also practicing adherence with my current meds (Lexapro and Rantidine) and I'm glad that I am in great health. Well... "great" being an operative word.

So some are talking about serosorting and dating other poz people. If you do this for dating or sex, why do you do it? If not, how is dating/socializing for you?
Exposure June 2012
1st Poz Test 2/3/14
Diagnosed 2/12/14

2/13/14 CD4 1066 VL 765 35%
6/20/14 CD4 852  VL 15552 34%
9/24/14 CD4 787 VL 1764 34%
10/22/14 Started Triumeq
12/18/14 CD4 1114 VL UD 40%
06/26/17 CD4 1398 VL UD 45%

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Serosorting? Why do YOU do It/Why Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »
I serosort because I do not want to deal with guys who cannot handle HIV.  I'm not saying that all negative men have these issues, but more often than not, I seem to find the ones that do.

The ultimate reason is that I simply cannot top a negative man, even with a condom, because I vowed when I became poz, that my virus would end with me.

Joe

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »
There are at least two arenas where I have thought about this. Casual sex. And dating, relationships.

I dont serosort for either. A rational that covers both is that I don't have all that many people interested in me so why would I narrow it further.  Secondly, when I was HIV-, I didn't serosort. I thought people are people if you have a connection you go for it.

I dont serosort for casual sex because my experience having casual sex with other HIV+ guys, who wanted me (so 30-60 yo) is they almost all wanted bareback sex and I ended up getting Hep C and butt chlamydia.  Its actually easier for me to find HIV- guys willing to fuck with condoms then it is HIV+ guys willing to do the same.

I haven't serosorted for relationships since being HIV+ because I haven't had one.  :(  But I'm not going to narrow the field by looking only for other HIV+.   

I like the idea of being with another HIV+ guy and my age to boot and the few guys I have met have not been interested in relationships.  They say they are. I see the same HIV+ ones on the hook up sites for years, since before I was even HIV+.  And they say they are looking for relationships, but they are not because they are forever single.  In contrast, I was always in relationships, for decades, but now 6 years HIV+ and I am single... 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 05:21:30 pm »
That thought has gone through my mind too. I was the neg partner in a +/- relationship until I became poz. Not from him, but another guy we hooked up with that said he was neg (but wasn't). Prior to me, my partner only wanted to be with other poz/ud guys. I am starting to understand that a little. For one, the whole not being able to deal with the day-to-day issues a +/- couple deal with. Secondly, it decreases the fear of rejection. Third, I would say a poz/ud couple share the same risks and responsibilities each other do and maybe even share a more deeper connection and understanding. There is also kind of a thought out there that a ud/ud union poses less risk to each other and somewhat eases the mind. Anyway...I'm still figuring it all out too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:34:21 pm by Bizkits »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »
If I was single I wouldn't serosort. If other people didn't want to date me because of my status, that is their choice, but I wouldn't let this virus get between me a potentially great guy.

Like if this guy was HIV-negative and asked me out (IT COULD HAPPEN!!! >:() you think I'm going to say no?

That's like letting the terrorists win!

Hope springs eternal, right?  ;D

Offline Dan0

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

Like if this guy was HIV-negative and asked me out (IT COULD HAPPEN!!! >:() you think I'm going to say no?

Yes, and I'm still waiting for Bobby to answer his stalking fan mail!

From what my single friends who are '+' indicate it's just easier to look for someone in the same boat....and there are no shortage of passengers. You already have to deal with the the possible deal-breakers (chewing with their mouth open, can't hold the liquor, rotten in bed, flatulence or a she-devil bible-thumping mother). Why add this to that to the mix? Not that I have a treasure trove of positive friends on the dating scene but those that are just seem happier when they don't have to worry about all that crap when they're already testing the waters on everything else.

But, you are right......if he does start answering those letters it's game on!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:59:04 pm by Dan0 »
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline geobee

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:27:24 pm »
I don't serosort -- because I don't think there's any reason to.  I'm dating a neg guy right now, I wear a condom, and everything works just fine.  Really, it hasn't been a problem at all.  I've been poz for 5 years, have dated both neg and poz guys, doesn't seem to matter to me or them.

I actually like condoms because it slows me down a bit.  Sure, it would sometimes be fun to cum inside of someone and I can't do that if he's neg.  But it's hardly a showstopper for developing a great relationship. At least it's been that way for me.

I'd encourage you to be out about your status and feel no shame.  Handle having HIV with grace and men -- of all kinds -- will come to you.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:01 am »
Ford, be honest.  It's this pic that makes you wanna say YES! 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:45:27 am »

I'd encourage you to be out about your status and feel no shame.  Handle having HIV with grace and men -- of all kinds -- will come to you.

^^This gets my vote for "best advice post of the month". :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
I haven't been + long enough really to sort out my feelings fully on the issue-found out June 2013-but so far, I have been very hesitant about the idea of dating a negative guy.

It isn't even so much the stigma issue moreso that I am absolutely terrified of falling for someone and then 'hurting' them with this virus.  I'm undetectable, thankfully, and I know it's statistically improbable, but the thought just...no...cannot handle it.  I'm still dealing with the guilt of transmitting it to the one person I did (prior to finding out I was poz).

So yea, I'd definitely prefer to date another poz guy, just for the comfort of knowing that I am in no way a danger to him.
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:59 pm »
I dont serosort for either. A rational that covers both is that I don't have all that many people interested in me so why would I narrow it further.

Ironically that's somewhat related to why I am beginning to serosort. I've all sort of character flaws which probably only my mother can tolerate (actually, more precisely, stem from Freudian mommy-issues). I find that pozzies tend to cut me some slack in this respect. Already their dating market is restricted, so many are willing to tolerate my lunacy for the off chance that I tick enough of the other boxes to form a relationship.
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »
I understand people have their experiences, long histories, and how it must scar to know they have transmitted HIV.  But in my personal opinion, this fear that someone who knows he/she is HIV+ and is going to transmit it to a beloved partner, I dunno.  I find it corrosive and self-stigmatising. I truly believe this must be a very rare occurrence in the whole history of the epidemic. People who know, wish to protect their partner, but nevertheless manage to transmit HIV.  Really?

Furthermore, nowadays, and being undetectable, its just not going to happen.  Is it?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LostChild89

• The sweetest thing I've ever known...
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:25 pm »
God I love you guys!

So what I'm gathering, serosorting is more psychological and preferential than physical/health related?

Like dating a black guy because I feel like he would match me... being black and all..
Exposure June 2012
1st Poz Test 2/3/14
Diagnosed 2/12/14

2/13/14 CD4 1066 VL 765 35%
6/20/14 CD4 852  VL 15552 34%
9/24/14 CD4 787 VL 1764 34%
10/22/14 Started Triumeq
12/18/14 CD4 1114 VL UD 40%
06/26/17 CD4 1398 VL UD 45%

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:45:39 am »
I speak only for myself and only about men with men.

Obviously there is a health element to magnetic couples if the HIV+ person is not on treatment.  I was proposing my personal theory that it would be quite rare for a magnetic couple to cease to be one (for the HIV+ to transmit to the HIV-) if the couple was making an effort for that not to happen. In other words, protected sex. 

I had magnetic relationships as an HIV- and didn't get HIV that way. I got it from some one off I can't even identify.  i know so many stories of magnetic couples that work fine. Whatever floats your boat.  I think serosorting is great if it meets the needs of the couple involved, whatever those needs might be.

I personally think HIV+ people should be cautious about deciding to serosort on the rationale that they are some sort of Typhoid Mary and they need to protect the world from their sickness. In so many words.

if they are thinking oh, geez, "now I have to serosort" or "nobody will want me but another HIV+ person" -- its not a great mind set, imo. 

But certainly there are many great practical and psychological reasons to serosort. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.