Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:56:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 253
Total: 254

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Travel to England  (Read 8089 times)

Offline konkrypton

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Pan/Satyr Lover
Travel to England
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:35:11 am »
I am very fortunate, in that I have a friend who has offered to take me with her to England in November for the 50th anniversary celebration for Doctor Who. While I'm used to flying, and have been to Mexico, I have never traveled overseas. Will I have any problems entering the UK with my meds? Is there anything I need to know/do? Are shots required?

Any help/info appreciated!
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Travel to England
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:13 am »
You won't have any issue entering with medication and don't need any shots.

One suggestion I would make is to have a debit card/ATM with EMV chip technology, which is what is standard in Europe. Most US cards do not yet have this. It's not a problem when using an ATM over there, or charging something in a store, but if you want to use it to buy fares on public transportation you will need it. So when I was recently in France I had to make sure I always had cash on me for the subway. Wells Fargo now has debit cards with EMV chips but you have to specifically request one I think.

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/178_99/wells-fargo-introduces-emv-compliant-commercial-cards-1059333-1.html

ps: I also recommend the use of two valium for the overnight eastward travel segment, so you arrive fully rested
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:50:02 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Tool man

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
Some countries require you have at least 90 left on your passport or they will not let you enter. Never have we had an issue traveling with meds that are not fun.

Lucky you to see Dr. Who anniversary. My husband used to disrespect everyone who watched Dr Who when he worked with PBS until he got to spend a few days traveling with one of the doctors. He still looks at me funny if he ever catches me watching the show.....

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:22 am »
Thank you Tool Man and Miss Philicia!

I had read that the UK (and US) had lifted travel restrictions for POZ folks. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've always been an Anglophile. As a teen I read all the Sherlock Holmes and Lord of the Rings books, then discovered Doctor Who in the early 80's. I have wanted to visit England my whole life, so I can't wait!

I'll see about the debit card, too. Not sure if my bank offers that or not.
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:52:09 am »

I'll see about the debit card, too. Not sure if my bank offers that or not.

If you do get a chip-and-pin card (as they're known over here), you will need to make sure your card company/bank KNOWS where you're going and how long you'll be there. Otherwise, there's a good chance that your card will be blocked after a couple uses. This is to guard against theft and fraud, not to piss you off.

It's probably a good idea to let your card company/bank know this anyway if you plan on using your card a lot - like to get cash from hole-in-the-wall cash machines.

You really should try to get one (C&P) if you can, as many places in the UK now only cater for this type of card. Some places will still have a swipe machine (usually part of the till) for the magnetic strip on the back, but these are becoming fewer and farther between. In my experience anyway.

I'm surprised you Yanks haven't caught up with this (C&P) technology yet.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:48 am »
Actually, at least in France, everyone accepted my non-chip plain ole debit card. Even tiny seaside towns on the Mediterranean. Only public transport was the one issue, and it's not a big deal to pay for that with cash.

But yes, definitely call your bank's customer service phone line and tell them which countries you'll be in and a date span. Add on a couple of days in case of travel issues, and if you're making connecting flights include that country and possibly a couple other main ones (meaning if you're making a connection in Munich it's always possible that a flight delay will cause them to put you on something going through Paris or London and then you can at least use your card at the airport, etc.)

And unlike some American tourists I never bother using travelers cheques or obtaining foreign currency stateside -- too much trouble and no longer necessary though everyone did this 20 years ago. The exception would be if perhaps your bank card in the US is from a small bank. I also don't change currency at those currency exchange places in the airport -- the rates employed at an ATM will be better even with the service charge.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:45:23 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Souledout

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »
Are shots required??? We're not third world you know! Also, kindly don't bring any rabies with you as we don't have any here.

Did the UK ever have travel restrictions on HIV folk by the way?
Infection sometime April-August, no noticable seroconversion symptoms
Not currently on medication
13/09/12 CD4 672 (33%) VL <40 (diagnosis date)
18/09/12 CD4 ?               VL 43
27/09/12 CD4 ?               VL 127
19/11/12 CD4 676 (38%) VL 959
03/03/13 CD4 642 (32%) VL 291
04/07/13 CD4 791 (33%) VL 26,437 (active cold sore, tooth infection)
18/07/13 ------retest------VL 3704
18/11/13 CD4 802 (36%) VL 65

Offline Tool man

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:54:19 pm »
I made the mistake of taking euros when we were in England.
Yes we are stupid North Americans..... What the hell do I do with all those pound notes in my wallet????

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »
Are shots required??? We're not third world you know! Also, kindly don't bring any rabies with you as we don't have any here.

Did the UK ever have travel restrictions on HIV folk by the way?
I wondered if anyone would catch the shots joke! ;)

Apparently the UK & US, along with a lot of other countries, once had travel bans, but most are lifted now. Some Middle East & African countries still do, I hear.
KK
--

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:31 am »

What the hell do I do with all those pound notes in my wallet????

Send them to meeee!!! ;D

Actually, at least in France, everyone accepted my non-chip plain ole debit card. Even tiny seaside towns on the Mediterranean. Only public transport was the one issue, and it's not a big deal to pay for that with cash.

Even "tiny seaside towns" would accept non C&P cards because the magnetic strip swipe technology is an older technology. If France hasn't done what the UK did and make C&P a requirement on cards issued from British concerns, then of course they would still have the swipe technology everywhere.

IIRC, the UK was the first to roll out mandatory C&P, and it's been an established method for quite a few years. Nowadays it's a bit hit-or-miss (in the UK) whether or not an establishment will have a till (cash register to you Yanks) that still has magnetic strip swipe capabilities.

It can be a problem sometimes when the C&P device is broken, or the system is down due to heavy traffic. It happens sometimes at Christmas, and you have to pay cash or you're out of luck. I know of quite a few places both here on the Rock and in Liverpool where you can only pay by C&P or cash.

It's a bit like when the magnetic swipe strips first came out. For a while you would find places who had the technology in place to deal with them, but quite a few places still had the old-fashioned gizmos that made an impression of your card details on a receipt, and you got (or the shop kept?) a carbon-copy of the receipt.

I bet a lot of our younger members have no idea what I'm talking about! I haven't seen one of those contraptions for a long time. Does anyone know/remember what they were called?

Now (in the UK anyway) the swipe machines are going the way of the card-impression thingies. Some places have kept their swipe capabilities for the times when the C&P system is down, but the system has improved over the years so the swipe system is going by the wayside.

Most places prefer C&P because if you don't have enough money on your card to pay for the goods, your card will be rejected. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with the swipe method, but I could be wrong. IIRC that was the main reason behind the switch to C&P.

From what I understand, the newest technology is to pay for stuff via an app on your smart-phone. I wonder if that will eventually replace C&P, particularly as C&P doesn't seem to be world-wide?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:50 am »

It's a bit like when the magnetic swipe strips first came out. For a while you would find places who had the technology in place to deal with them, but quite a few places still had the old-fashioned gizmos that made an impression of your card details on a receipt, and you got (or the shop kept?) a carbon-copy of the receipt.

I bet a lot of our younger members have no idea what I'm talking about! I haven't seen one of those contraptions for a long time. Does anyone know/remember what they were called?

Now (in the UK anyway) the swipe machines are going the way of the card-impression thingies. 

I'm not sure what they are called but we just call it the card swiper thingy and still use it on the rare occasion when the system has a problem.

What is this chip thingy all about anyway? I'm not familiar with it so I'm not sure what it does that a magnetic strip card doesn't.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:19 am »

What is this chip thingy all about anyway? I'm not familiar with it so I'm not sure what it does that a magnetic strip card doesn't.

These two links explain it better than I could without me getting all long-winded. Again. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/

That second link may be useful for the OP as it has a section dealing with cards from overseas (non-UK) banks.

Along the same lines, here's a recent article from the LA Times about an American C&P Travelex card that can be loaded with other currencies, including the British pound. I don't know if he'll have time to get one before he goes, but it sounds like a good solution for him.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-travelex-preloaded-chip-pin-card-20130821,0,1140501.story

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:55:58 am »

Most places prefer C&P because if you don't have enough money on your card to pay for the goods, your card will be rejected. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with the swipe method, but I could be wrong. IIRC that was the main reason behind the switch to C&P.

I was wrong about that, soz. The main reason behind the switch was to do with identity theft and fraud. Drug -haze! Old age! Faulty memory!  :-X  ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:33 am »
Thanks Anne.  :)
I guess us Yankees would prefer to have fraud happen for a bit longer. Great idea.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:28 am »
Old-style (non chip-and-pin) cards work in ATMs  (or cashpoints as we Brits say) so you can get cash if you have a PIN code for your card, the real stuff, out a hole in the wall. Major retailers will not have an issue with old-style cards, but if you are a queue people will tut at you in a just audible manner as the assistant gets out a credit card transaction slip hidden somewhere in a drawer. You can also buy sterling at foreign exchange bureaux, travel agents, post offices and banks.

For London buy a pay-as-you go Oyster card and put some cash on it, this will let you breeze round our capital's very good public transport system cash-free.

For meds, put them in your hand luggage in the original containers. Border control/customs will not be interested. They will be interested in you showing means of support ie a credit card and a return ticket.

The UK has never had any HIV travel restrictions, for we are land of the moderately free and a restriction on travel is immoderate.

- matt
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:17:53 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:02 am »
The only thing I'll add is that I'm SUPER JEALOUS that your going to the Doctor Who 50Th! Like most Yanks my Doctor is the 4Th, Tom Baker. Currently working through all the episodes. I'm in 1968.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline Tool man

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:42 am »
PozBrian,
Get into the 21st century and a cuter doctor.
The 10th doctor, Davie Tennant, is really attractive with makeup.
Also during that time they get very PC and gays are accepted as normal.

TM

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:17 am »
Yes David is a much cuter Doctor, and in many ways he is really my favorite. However, I have fond memories of my first.  Many "firsts" actually  :P
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
6/09 started meds.

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 09:10:28 am »
Then there's Captain Jack, :D
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
6/09 started meds.

Offline Tool man

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
Yummy Caption Jack! ;D

TM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.