Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:21:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WHAT'S YOUR SOUTHERN SIGN?  (Read 11084 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
WHAT'S YOUR SOUTHERN SIGN?
« on: July 24, 2006, 02:49:51 pm »
Someone emailed this to me today; I thought it was pretty cute!

Some of us Southerners are pretty skeptical of horoscopes and the people that read them. If we are to ever fully understand all the star signs and the people they represent, we need symbols that all true Southerners understand: See the list below...

OKRA (Dec 22 - Jan 20) Are tough on the outside but tender on the inside. Okras have tremendous influence. An older Okra can look back over his life and see the seeds of his influence everywhere. You can do something good each day if you try.

CHITLIN (Jan 21 - Feb 19) Chitlins come from humble backgrounds. A Chitlin, however, will make something of himself if he is motivated and has lots of seasoning. In de aling with Chitlins, be careful they may surprise you. They can erupt like Vesuvius. Chitlins are best with Catfish and Okra.

BOLL WEEVIL (Feb 20 - March 20) You have an overwhelming curiosity. You're unsatisfied with the surface of things, and you feel the need to bore deep into the interior of everything. Needless to say, you are very intense and driven as if you had some inner hunger. You love to stay busy and tend to work too much. Nobody in their right mind is going to marry you, so don't worry about it.

MOON PIE (March 21 - April 20) You're the type that spends a lot of time on the front porch. A cinch to recognize the physical appearance of Moon Pies. Big and round are the key words here. You should marry anybody who you can get remotely interested in the idea. It's no t going to be easy. You always have a big smile and are happy. This might be the year to think about aerobics. Maybe not. You think you know it all.

POSSUM (April 21 - May 21) When confronted with life's difficulties, possums have a marked tendency to withdraw and develop a don't-bother-me-about-it attitude. Sometimes you become so withdrawn, people actually think you're dead. This strategy is probably not psychologically healthy but seems to work for you. You are a rare breed. Most folks love to watch you work and play. You are a night person and mind your own business.

CRAWFISH (May 22 - June 21) Crawfish is a water sign. If you work in an office, you're hanging around the water cooler. Crawfish prefer the beach to the mountains, the pool to the golf course, and the bathtub to the living room. You tend not to be particularly attractive physically, but you have very, very good heads.

COLLARDS (June 22 - July 23) Collards have a genius for communication. They love to get in the melting pot of life and share their essence with the essence of those around them. Collards make good social workers, psychologists, and baseball managers. As far as your personal life goes, if you are Collards, stay away from Crawfish. It just won't work. Save yourself a lot of heartache.

CATFISH (July 24 - Aug 23) Catfish are traditionalists in matters of the heart, although one's whiskers may cause problems for loved ones. You Catfish are never easy people to understand. You run fast. You work and play hard. Even though you prefer the muddy bottoms to the clear surface of life , you are liked by most. Above all else, Catfish should stay away from Moon Pies.

GRITS (Aug 24 - Sept 23) Your highest aim is to be with others like yourself. You like to huddle together with a big crowd of other Grits. You love to travel though, so maybe you should think about joining a club. Where do you like to go? Anywhere they have cheese, gravy, bacon, butter, or eggs and a good time. If you can go somewhere where they have all these things, that serves you well. You are pure in heart.

BOILED PEANUTS (Sept 24 - Oct 23) You have a passionate desire to help your fellow man. Unfortunately, those who know you best, your friends and loved ones, may find that your personality is much too salty, and their criticism will affect you deeply because you are really much softer than y ou appear. You should go right ahead and marry anybody you want to because in a certain way, yours is a charmed life. On the road of life, you can be sure that people will always pull over and stop for You.

BUTTER BEAN (Oct 24 - Nov 22) Always invite a Butter Bean to a party because Butter Beans get along well with everybody. You, as a Butter Bean, should be proud. You've grown on the vine of life, and you feel at home no matter what the setting. You can sit next to anybody. However, you, too, shouldn't have anything to do with Moon Pies.

ARMADILLO (Nov 23 - Dec 21) You have a tendency to develop a tough exterior, but you are actually quite gentle and kind inside. A good evening for you? Old friends, a fire, some roots, fruit, worms, and insects. You are a throwback. You're n ot concerned with today's fashions and trends. You're not concerned with anything about today. You're almost prehistoric in your interests and behavior patterns. You probably want to marry another Armadillo, but a Possum is another somewhat kinky mating possibility.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:53:51 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Sdgirl

Re: WHAT'S YOUR SOUTHERN SIGN?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:32:15 pm »
Damn if I'm not a Boll Weevil!!  What's this crap about nobody wanting to marry me????  I no likey this thread!   >:(
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:35:07 pm »
And, Doggone it....I'm BIG AND ROUND and THINK I KNOW IT ALL :-\

I'm gonna go sit out on that porch of mine.

So there.

Zephie :-[
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:54:44 pm »
I'm a butter bean, but I LOVE moon pies!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:00:09 pm »
Im a CHITLIN.

What is a Chitlin? Isnt that like....the guts or somethin?

I want to be a Butter Bean! I love butter beans...had some for supper tonite.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:02:49 pm »
I guess that I'm  a Catfish. Yes, I am very much a traditionalist in matters of the heart, and , Big Surprise, I'm also really lax at shaving, and get lots of shit for appearing to be vaguely homeless, especially if I'm carrying my backpack. For the record, I can't stomach MoonPies, and don't do so hot with Crawfish either, there are some very valid reasons he's my ex. Loved the Southern Signs Alan. Capt. Carl...
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 09:25:35 pm »
i am the possum

and it's damn accurate.... especially...
Sometimes you become so withdrawn, people actually think you're dead.

On multiple occasions, over a span of years, I've heard several different rumors of my demise from a tragic car accident to slitting my wrists.

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:35:24 pm »
I'm Mr. Boiled Peanuts.  ::)

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 09:40:20 pm »
Boiled Peanuts here, too, babe!

Offline Quarter Horse

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 10:00:03 pm »
I am a Armadillo.....but I eat a lot of Okra. Catfish, okra, hot water cornbread, and white beans is the perfect meal!!

Brian
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON.

Robert Frost

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 10:18:08 pm »
Teresa honey,

A "Chitlin" or chitterling is the intestines of a hog, fried up golden brown.   There is no force on this planet strong enough to get me to put one in my mouth.....

(but I do like cornbread with cracklins.....do you know what that is?)

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 11:52:20 pm »
I'm a Crawfish.  It says I ain't cute.  WTF!!!   ??? >:( ??? >:(

On the up side, it says I give good head.   ;D ::) 

Oh wait, I HAVE good heads.  What the hell does that mean??? 
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:00:01 am »
OK, Mr. Catfish here! That's right, I'm here to whip y'all into shape with my whiskers - or a cat-o-nine-tails, whichever is handiest.  >:( ;D

I happen to love butter beans.  ::)

Of course, there is something to be said about crawfish head - er - heads.

Oooo baby!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 05:48:40 am »
If i'm Okra does that mean people love me best when I'm fried? :D

Offline jae3

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:56:14 am »
I'm a possum! Dayum~
Hook em' Horns!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 08:09:48 am »
Alan,

I love cornbread but have no idea what cracklin is.

Nope, i wouldnt eat chitlins either..ewwww

Still rather be a butterbean.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 09:40:11 am »
damn.
I'm a butterbean. i want to be armadillo.. please can I swap with someone? :)

Kate

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 10:35:36 am »
ARMADILLO (Nov 23 - Dec 21) You have a tendency to develop a tough exterior, but you are actually quite gentle and kind inside. A good evening for you? Old friends, a fire, some roots, fruit, worms, and insects. You are a throwback. You're n ot concerned with today's fashions and trends. You're not concerned with anything about today. You're almost prehistoric in your interests and behavior patterns. You probably want to marry another Armadillo, but a Possum is another somewhat kinky mating possibility.

This is kind of accurate for me. I do have a tendency to develop a tough exterior, but I am actually a softie inside.  Old friends talking around a fire sounds like something I would like to do, but you can have the roots, worms and insects. I don't see myself as a throwback because I like to keep up on new technology, world news etc. I am not concerned at all with fashion. As long  as I am comfortable & my clothes are clean I'm happy. I don't want to get married, especially to an Armadillo or nasty Possum but if the Donkey that "got it on" with that Iraqi man on YouTube is single I might be interested. LOL

Burf

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 11:19:15 am »
Well, it says I am a moon pie, but I don't have any Cheerwine to go with it, so I am skeptical.  By the way, I am with you all the way on cracklin's and cornbread.

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 11:52:12 am »
Maybe a little of Boiled Peanuts and Okra mixed up together.............
Fry one and boiled the other....  I'm so confused! ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline David_CA

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 02:02:44 pm »
I'm a Crawfish.  It says I ain't cute.  WTF!!!   ??? >:( ??? >:(

On the up side, it says I give good head.   ;D ::) 

Oh wait, I HAVE good heads.  What the hell does that mean??? 

Hmm... what's that saying about squeezing the tail and sucking the head... something like that.  It always sounded kind of fun, though!   ;)   I'm a Chitlin, which I'm not sure is such a good thing!

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »
OK...I don't know WHAT I was looking at.  Apparently, I don't know when my birthday is.  I was rereading, because everyone wants to be a butterbean, to see what is so special about the legume.

After my reread...come to find out, I am not a crawfish.  I am Collards.  BIG OLD BLOND MOMENT, I guess.  I don't know.  Feeling really damn stupid right now.  HAHA!!!

Now I have to go see what collards are all about.  I was in such shock that I was so stupid there.  DUH!!!

Shane   :-[ :-[ :-[
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 05:47:57 pm »
Hey, Shane!

"COLLARDS HAVE A GENIUS WITH COMMUNICATION" !! What did I just say to you this morning on the phone, honey????

See??

Love,

Zephie :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline tnboy

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 06:18:34 pm »
 Collards ! ;D

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 07:11:52 pm »
I have no idea what it/they are..but I'm a Collard... sounds about rght, I think I could show those baseball players a few things... ;)

Hugs
Jan
(who has to stop day dreaming and get back to mucking out the paddocks.. :D)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 09:42:55 pm »
Hi Jan,

Collards are probably from the cabbage family, but they are darker green and the leaves are looser on the plant.  They are best boiled with pork, salt and pepper, but only after the first frost of the season has hit them to sweeten them up. Once they have throroughly stunk up the house being boiled, you strain and chop them and then pop them into a skillet for a few minutes to cook off the liquid.  The liquid from their boiling is called pot-liquor and is wonderful for dipping things like cornbread.   Delicious as they are, collards tend to create an ever so boisterous and odiferous side-effect that you might imagine. ;)

Ron

Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Safe journeys!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 10:23:11 pm »
Here is some information on collards Jan.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV053

I love em! I also like turnip, mustard and beet greens. YUM!

I also like crawdads (crawfish for you initiates), catfish, cornbread and cracklins, butter beans, but wouldn't go near a chitlin if you paid me!

EW!@

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 11:36:09 am »
It is common here to cook turnip greens with turnip roots for a bitter and sweet delicacy.  I love them mixed with mustard greens too.  Do you eat rutabagas?  Some people in the US call them yellow turnips and in the UK they are "swedes".  Glad to know New Mexico has southern culture!

R
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 01:21:31 am »
I'm a Butter Bean.  :o Though I think I'm sort of a cross between Boll Weevil and Armadillo. J.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 03:24:44 am »

I am okra....  fried okra!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 10:06:53 am »
I am one big CHITLIN

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.