Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:55:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773179
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 289
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Parents and 14,000 die from AIDS  (Read 6430 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Parents and 14,000 die from AIDS
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »
SO, I shared my numbers with my parents this morning.  They are VERY supportive and realize for the most part that there are diseases out there that make this look like a walk in the park as far as fatal diseases go!  (please dont take this as I am minimizing this disease in ANY way.  I just try to see the positvie things about life and this is my way of saying to myself that it COULD be worse.  I had a cousin my same age die of brain cancer in less than 6 mos. NOTHING could be done.  From that day on I considered myself SOMEWHAT lucky.  He left behind a lovely wife and daughter....im still here for my girls!)

Any way..... my question is this.  They watched a show last night that said with the new drug regimens (specifically the new 3 banger)14,000 would die from AIDS in the US this year and 3 million worldwide.  Being somewhat new to all this I am curious as to if this is true for the US as I thought it would be higher!  Anyone know what show this may have been?  I can't seem to find it and would like to see it.

Just trying to educate myself some more..... 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:17:10 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline The Canuck

Re: Parents and 14,000 die from AIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:54 pm »
14,000 would die from AIDS in the US this year and 3 million worldwide.  Being somewhat new to all this I am curious as to if this is true for the US as I thought it would be higher!

I don't know if these figures for the USA are correct, but if so this is still a lot of death. It also shows the limitation of meds in time for the US figures when there are no more options available. However you see right away that the countries who doesn't access to meds have a much higher death rate to say the least.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:29:42 pm »
They are VERY supportive and realize for the most part that there are diseases out there that make this look like a walk in the park as far as fatal diseases go! 

e.g. cancer, multiple sclerosis, diabetes; the list goes on -i agree with you

a cousin of mine has hypothyroidism --- it certainly isn't a walk in the park for her

we know you're not minimizing hiv  8)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 06:43:27 pm »
AC
 I agree with your positive outlook.....I have had a cousin die at  18yrs old from cancer....two other relatives with Breast cancer..and one with combination Heart attack / Stroke/diabetes.....  It has been :) nearly 20 yrs since infected and I am still here doing pretty well.

Nick ;D
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline B99

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:12:49 pm »
How many of those 14K deaths are actually from people on treatment?  I think a lot of that number is made up of people who don't know they have HIV/AIDS, who have not seeked treatment and/or have an opportunistic infection. It is too late, for them, to do anything about it. But I do also think that some of them are people who have no more options, whether financially or drug wise.
About 170K die from diabetes every year in the U.S.  (True, there are more people living with diabetes, but that's still a lot).

Offline cflas

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:26:39 pm »
Hi!  Those are interesting numbers.  Do you know what they were watching on the TV that cited those stats?  I would be interested just to follow-up.

I agree with your analogy (not to diminish our HIV-ness, as well).  I work in a large trauma center in Florida (as a social worker) and when I found out thirteen years ago, I came to the conclusion that I didn't belong to any exclusive club and that no disease is more important than the person who has it.  It helps me keep things in perspective.  So that, for me HIV is just one the long list and for patients who are dealing with cancer diagnoses, brain injuries, Parkinson's, etc we all meet on some level and help each other through it.

Thanks for your post...chris

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:54:00 pm »

Chris,

It's my understanding that the morbidity rate for HIV+ people in the US (and the west) is close to the morbidity rate of the average citizens.

I think B99 correctly outlined why people still die from AIDS.

This, of course, doesn't mean it's easy to live with.

My parents similary get freaked out by what they read or watch. I told them to arm themselves with knowledge as the news in the mass media is usually incorrect in some fashion, but I fear they're still on the learning curve as I'm always trying to explain the complexities of HIV to them.

brian

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:07:16 am »
Here's an article from April 2006 where the figures/stats are referenced. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=41624
If you Google 14,000 AIDS US you'll find a variety of hits that reflect the figures you re-cited. Best regards.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 02:23:11 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.  This IS the place to get the best info!  I love it, ive found a home!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.