Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:27:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 387
Total: 389

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viral Blip but that's not the confusing part...  (Read 2771 times)

Offline BigAndStrongSoul

Viral Blip but that's not the confusing part...
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:50:57 am »
Went to the doctor for blood work and got my results back which are baffling.

T Cell 388

Viral load is now 1700

Two months ago my viral load was 2016. My doctor is telling that this is a blip. I'm not on meds yet due to being charged 1300 which I informed him of.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Viral Blip but that's not the confusing part...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:19 am »
Why the surprise?

You are not on meds and have a detectable viral load, sounds pretty much expected.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:21:41 am »
You should get on meds as soon as practicable so that your CD4's do not fall below 200.

If you have financial issues, get advice from your doctor as how best to proceed, since he or she will likely know how to put you into contact with social support systems or other advocacy groups.

Pharmaceutical companies also have programs to assist people with the cost of HIV antretroviral medication(s) and/or the cost of (private) insurance copays.

Access this link and peruse the information found through it:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/drug-assistance-programs

Link to HIV antiretroviral medications:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-medications

Starting HIV antiretroviral medication link:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:55 am »
Yeah, OP its been 3 years now?

I agree with Patrick on getting help for the financial situation and coat of meds.

Because next to the directly measured results the indirect damage being done will be something you want to avoid. Long term outcomes people even with low VL's are better on medication, hence the treat all recommendations.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=51849.msg719533#new

Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:30:07 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline BigAndStrongSoul

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
Thanks. There working on it. I just surprised by him calling this a blip when it's not. I'm aware of this and will starts meds soon once my insurance situation is resolved.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:26:38 am »
I just want to add there are several on these boards that put off meds also for what ever reason. Most have admitted regretting it, the sooner you are on meds the less damage is done to your body.
I only hope you are serious about starting, because to be honest you don't sound it.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
I'm very confused. A blip is typically defined as a small increase from a very low or undetectable Vl. Usually 200 copies or less.
You had a decrease, you're not on treatment and I'm guessing you've never been undetected. So I don't know why your doctor called this untreated decrease a blip.
Seems like a natural fluctuation.

Offline ray_in_texas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 02:56:39 pm »
Hi bigandstrongsoul! I hope you are doing well and I hope you get your insurance and medication difficulties all resolved.

I can see the confusion about how a decrease in viral load could be a "blip". In my experience and understanding it is not uncommon to have viral load blips, mostly showing an increase from undetectable or low VL. I can kind of understand how your VL change could still be a blip. Although I haven't experienced this, it is my understanding that if my VL were checked say weekly, I would likely show more blips, simply from machine errors. You're looking at a microscopic count of a virus in a tiny drop of blood. Although the machines have gotten very good, they are not perfect and will show a variance (high or low) from time to time, therefore, a blip. I am truly amazed that medical science is even advanced enough to detect and count the HIV-RNA in such a microscopic amount of blood sample.
POZ since 2008
Isentress, Truvada, Maraviroc
Initial VL(2010)>382000
CCR5 Tropic
HLA B5701 genotype

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
BigAndStrongSoul - you have to start treating your HIV infection. It sounds like the issue is financial so put your head to the grindstone and figure out a way you can treat HIV.  Is the NUMBER ONE and only thing to do, really.  If you can't figure out the finances on your own, why not enlist a social worker of some kind to come up with a solution? I hope you find one soon. Courage
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.