Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:23:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unprotected sex, disclosure and sexual health clinics  (Read 95450 times)

Offline Zohar

Unprotected sex, disclosure and sexual health clinics
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:26 pm »
If you have unprotected sex with strangers without disclosing your status would you then tell your sexual health doctor?

This happened today, and upon revealing that I hadn't used condoms with the people that I'd had sex with most recently, the doctor went into 'stern' mode. I told him that people were having sex with of their own volition and that if they wanted the sex to be unprotected then it was their choice. His response was that they only had a 'real' choice if I told them I was positive. Hmmm...

I didn't wish to continue this line of conversation so asked that we move on.

I know that doctors see it as their job to 'educate' about safer sex, but it irks me that they're peddling the view that it's the one (diagnosed) with HIV that has to take responsibility. And it did make me think I'd probably just lie in future to avoid being lectured.

So, when asked by doctors/nurses, are you inclined to tell them the truth about your condomless encounters, or not?
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Unprotected sex, disclosure and sexual health clinics
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »
Whether or not you disclosed to sex partner doesn't make a difference in how you should be treated medically.   So why even discuss with the doctor that you did / did not disclose?

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »
If you have unprotected sex with strangers without disclosing your status would you then tell your sexual health doctor?

This happened today, and upon revealing that I hadn't used condoms with the people that I'd had sex with most recently, the doctor went into 'stern' mode. I told him that people were having sex with of their own volition and that if they wanted the sex to be unprotected then it was their choice. His response was that they only had a 'real' choice if I told them I was positive. Hmmm...

I didn't wish to continue this line of conversation so asked that we move on.

I know that doctors see it as their job to 'educate' about safer sex, but it irks me that they're peddling the view that it's the one (diagnosed) with HIV that has to take responsibility. And it did make me think I'd probably just lie in future to avoid being lectured.

So, when asked by doctors/nurses, are you inclined to tell them the truth about your condomless encounters, or not?

I always disclose before sex and would only have unprotected sex with others who live with HIV .

I assume you are talking about low risk activity's with people of unknown status when you say you are having unprotected sex without disclosing right ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Zohar

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »
I assume you are talking about low risk activity's with people of unknown status when you say you are having unprotected sex without disclosing right ?

I'm talking about penetrative sex.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:45:00 pm »
Whether or not you disclosed to sex partner doesn't make a difference in how you should be treated medically.   So why even discuss with the doctor that you did / did not disclose?

Good point. But these questions are a standard part of sexual health consultations, at least here in the UK.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »
I'm talking about penetrative sex.

Penetrative sex is low risk if you are undetectable and are also the one being penetrated.

I am also curious as to why you felt you needed to give that information to your doctor, and what exactly is your purpose in starting this thread.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »
Disclosure is all about taking responsibility for your actions.  Grow up, man up...take responsibility for what you do.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Zohar

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »
Penetrative sex is low risk if you are undetectable and are also the one being penetrated.

I am also curious as to why you felt you needed to give that information to your doctor, and what exactly is your purpose in starting this thread.

1. I'm U/D and took the active role.

2. I gave the information to the doctor because I was asked - not for the first time. I started this thread to ascertain what others do in this situation.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »
1. I'm U/D and took the active role.

2. I gave the information to the doctor because I was asked - not for the first time. I started this thread to ascertain what others do in this situation.

You realize of course that U/D in blood does not necessarily equal U/D in semen, right?

As much as I am VEHEMENTLY against the criminalization of HIV infection, I rather think that exposing people to HIV without their informed consent is the hallmark of a sociopath.

Thanks for making it that much worse for the rest of us out here, passing along the stigma of HIV, you despicable cuntwaffle.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:01 pm »
Zohar, if you didn't like the doctor's opinion so what. Just ignore it. He asked, you decided to answer, so what?
Also, are you saying you are 100% morally free to do what you want because its the other person's responsibility to protect himself?  In fact, I understand that both people are responsible. But if you are comfortable and content with your choices and your actions are legal where you are doing them, then your doctors opinion is just that, an opinion.  As would be our opinions here.  Sounds like you already made up your mind so why ask?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:16 pm »
Zohar is the guy who had a meltdown when he found out his GP had documented his HIV status as HIV positive . He is also the guy that has a problem with people who say they are HIV negative if they have had sex since their last HIV test . A huge number of his post are about disclosure or about criminalization , so we know where his head is at .

When his doctor tries to council him about safe sex practices he sees it as a lecture because of his arrogance . I have never seen an individual more in need of counseling than Zohar . I really hope you get the help you need before you hurt somebody .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline 0608

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »
I have to think there's a part of you that knows what you've been doing is wrong, and that's why you put up this post (under the guise of the whole how-dare-he-judge-me doctor story).  And it is.  Just wrong, Wrong, WRONG.  There's crap that goes on in the world, but why would you want to add to it?  Get a grip, and start doing yourself and others some good.

Offline karry

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:56 pm »
.... >:( >:( As much as I accept my responsibility in being positive, I so wish my infector had told me he had HIV....and he knew he did, and never told me.  I have long since moved on, but when I read posts from people who are positive, know their status and still go out there and have unprotected sex with someone without disclosing, it brings back bad memories and makes me sway towards supporting criminalization of HIV transmission for cases like this.
I hate the fact that you are trying to justify what you are doing to others. Its just so so WRONG! >:(
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:10:50 pm »
You realize of course that U/D in blood does not necessarily equal U/D in semen, right?

As much as I am VEHEMENTLY against the criminalization of HIV infection, I rather think that exposing people to HIV without their informed consent is the hallmark of a sociopath.

Thanks for making it that much worse for the rest of us out here, passing along the stigma of HIV, you despicable cuntwaffle.

*like*
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »
I don't think your doc was out of line.  He treats HIV patients, and part of that is to talk about safer sex. 

Have any of your sexual partners asked whether you're poz?  If so, did you tell them?       

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »

It's a 50/50 responsability. Except in rape cases, the two parties agree to lay down. That doesn't exclude you of your responsability: You should have insisted on wearing condoms/ and or disclose your status, regardless what the other does. Some people don't disclose but insist on protection, others disclose beforehand and it's valid too. Hopefully you didn't infect your last partners....but I advise you to think again what you're doing.

People like you don't help us to fight the stigma.

Ehm, yeah. I don't have a problem with that. Problem is, my doc doesn't seem to believe that I've been "out of service" for almost 4 years since my Dx.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline lincoln6echo

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:13 am »
It's horribly offensive that someone would choose to have unprotected penetrative sex, knowing they are HIV+ and not disclose this.  You know your status and it's imperative you take responsibility for your side of the deal.

Even if the other person doesn't ask, it's incredibly selfish to not consider the person you are having sex with. 

It suggests you are just willing to use these, "strangers" with no consideration of how you may affect/infect them and the impact it may have on them if you pass on the virus to these people.   

We live in a world that increasingly promotes freedom, free from moral judgement and discrimination.  In this case, this is not only a moral issue but a legal issue in many places. 

If you are going to take advantage of all these freedoms you no doubt enjoy, then man up and take responsibility for what you are doing. 

Offline Zohar

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 03:26:59 am »
I have never seen an individual more in need of counseling than Zohar .

I had post diagnosis counselling for a number of years where this issue was discussed at length at various times.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 03:31:32 am »

Yes, of course I'm aware of that. I was just responding  to your point (cited below) about being undetectable.

''Penetrative sex is low risk if you are undetectable and are also the one being penetrated.''

Offline Zohar

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:58 am »
The conversation I had with my doctor regarded  sex I'd had in a sex club. I'm actually not a huge fan of penetrative sex, and can, most of the time take or leave it. What's happened in this club is that when I've been making out with guys they've, to be blunt, put my dick in their ass.  I nearly always just pull straight out since, like I say, I'm not fussed about penetrative sex, but when I've done so, they put it back inside them, knowing FULL well that I'm not wearing a condom.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 05:40:36 am »
@Zohar, for  your doc ask him if he considers meds and condoms equal in terms of preventing HIV transmission. If he says no, then he needs to go to school. Clearly, the question of other STIs comes into play without condoms, but I am not sure this is as significant as people make out, likewise the detectable in semen point in relation to well-treated HIV.

People who go to sex clubs have already decided what they want to do and hear/not hear. In my experience there's not a lot of talking going on. The "real choice" point is somewhat after the fact. Esp in London in a sex club.

- matt
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:57:17 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:27 am »

Jonathan, while I completely understand your frustration with Zohar, you know name-calling is not permitted.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 11:40:02 am »
The ones who don't know their status and are poz are the ones spreading it the most.  If you are u/d chances are you won't spread it.  Try finding a gay doctor who is not an old status quo guy, that's what I did. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:06 pm »
Try finding a gay doctor who is not an old status quo guy, that's what I did.

If I had a doctor who was cool with me topping guys without condoms I would be finding another doctor .

I find some of the replies here shocking . If you have ever held somebody while they are dieing of Aids I think you may not be so casual with your advice . Guess what , you are HIV positive now and you have a responsibility not to pass on this virus on to somebody else .

Something good could come from this thread but right now I'm embarrassed to be keeping company with some of you . The whole world has the ability to read this forum and I'm not happy with the impression some of you are showing for all to see . I'm truly upset about this .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »
It's interesting....  in the criminalization threads, we hear folks say that it is really ONLY the poz person's responsibility to protect the poor unwitting neg person from getting infected.  Most folks on here will counter (correctly, IMO) that both have a role.
Going into a sex club and topping someone raw, when you know you are poz is now turning ALL the responsibility from the POZ guy (in the criminalization cases) to the neg guy.  The same response for both is required (again, IMO) -- BOTH have a responsibility. 
Zohar has completely dismissed his responsibility here.  That may not be "criminal" -- unless both go to jail -- but it is a good way to tell the type of self-centeredness that exists in his head - so long as he gets his, who the fuck cares.  It kind of lines up with the health care debate here -- I got mine, so I don't give a rat's ass about you.  I particularly found most rich -- his "victimhood" mentality -- "they put my penis in their ass" ---------- "twice".  You poor helpless thing -- raped by a voracious bottom -- in public, no less.
I'm with Jeff on this -- this is extremely sad.  It is also why, at least here in the USA -- we will continue to be seen as criminals for having sex -- with or without disclosure.
 >:(

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »
Going into a sex club and topping someone raw, when you know you are poz is now turning ALL the responsibility from the POZ guy (in the criminalization cases) to the neg guy. 

Sex clubs are the exclusive province of shameless hussies, and as such they already have AIDS. In fact, they have exactly 14 different strains of it. Plus chlamydia. As such they are not deserving of niceties such as HIV disclosure when barebacking.

note: this also applies to tricks found while bird watching at dusk in public parks
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »
Thanks Mike, it seems some people are using self centered math when it comes to divvying up the percentages when it comes to shared responsibility .

Shared responsibility is not a 50/50 proposition , you are responsible for 100 % of your share of it . It doesent average down on your side when the other person isn't up to the 100% they share . Please don't come back with any lame ass excuse for what the other is or isn't doing .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »

I find some of the replies here shocking . If you have ever held somebody while they are dieing of Aids I think you may not be so casual with your advice . Guess what , you are HIV positive now and you have a responsibility not to pass on this virus on to somebody else .

I honestly think that this has something to do with it. The shit we saw in the 80s and 90s before HAART/AART cannot help but change a person. I don't talk about my experiences then an awful lot. Tends to put me in a darker place than I like. But maybe I should start talking more about that stuff in this forum, rather than LTS.

I dunno. Second-hand experience is still not experience.

But I agree with the rest of your statement. Some really disheartening stuff there. And of course it's the lazy-assed activists like us who have to reluctantly lurch off the couch and  work to combat the stigma that the obviously FAR healthier pozzies are working so hard to perpetuate.

Christ, step up new folks. We need you. Otherwise we are simply growing, fertilizing, and reaping field after field of Zohar.

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
The ones who don't know their status and are poz are the ones spreading it the most.  If you are u/d chances are you won't spread it.  Try finding a gay doctor who is not an old status quo guy, that's what I did. 

Wow. I am not sure how to even approach this.

See, with GUYS, sex can be low, medium, or really really high risk, depending on what you are doing.

Even if you are U/D, if you are topping people without a condom, chances are good that at some point you will throw infectious seed into someone. That's verified.

If you are U/D and a bottom, or participating only in oral stuff, then I agree with you more or less, though I think it's a slippery slope to give yourself permission to be a sociopath.

Also, no doctor should be cool and nonchalant about a positive person having unprotected sex with negative partners without disclosure. The oath they take is pretty explicit about not doing harm, and silence in this case absolutely equals harm.

This isn't old school or new school bullshit. This is science. This is ethics.

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 04:29:02 pm »
Thanks JK , I can always count on you and a few others who are better at expressing whats at the heart of the matter . I wish I had said what you did when you wrote Christ, step up new folks. We need you. Nothing in my rant could have held more meaning than this simple nugget of truth .

I will not apologise for any thing I have said here because I believe it and own it , but I do wish I had said it better .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 04:54:27 pm »
Thanks Jonathan and Jeff - as a "new folk" (relatively -- diagnosed 7 yrs ago), I will step up when I see insanity like this.  But your history certainly does add much -- to me and, I hope, many others who need it. 

Unfortunately, there will always be the self-centered folks who live to rationalize bad behavior.

M

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »
It's always the neg person's responsibility to protect themselves,  "period, fuck you" (as Lilly Tomlin said)

If you start blaming people who lie, it's gonna  be your own fault after you catch HIV.

It should be the poz person's responsibility, but we don't live in fantasy land.  Plus there are people who don't know they have HIV and they are a much more dangerous group than the undetectable ones that lie. 

and bottoms bent over for raw cocks in sex clubs know what they are getting into, and any poz top that sees them can assume they already are poz too.

Try living in the real world instead of a shell.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:25:53 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »

It should be the poz person's responsibility...

In three... two, one....

Here we go.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline bocker3

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:58 pm »
It's always the neg person's responsibility to protect themselves,  "period, fuck you" (as Lilly Tomlin said)

If you start blaming people who lie, it's gonna  be your own fault after you catch HIV.

It should be the poz person's responsibility, but we don't live in fantasy land.  Plus there are people who don't know they have HIV and they are a much more dangerous group than the undetectable ones that lie. 

and bottoms bent over for raw cocks in sex clubs know what they are getting into, and any poz top that sees them can assume they already are poz too.

Well -- what you say is, in fact correct.  However -- it doesn't mean that the poz person has no responsibility.  You can't say ONLY the neg person is responsible or ONLY the poz person is.  Both have total responsibility in this case (as Jeff so nicely put it)  You can try and justify your behavior until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change it.  You want to end stigma for HIV -- then stop acting like a petulant child who is trying to avoid responsibility.  We have to own the responsibility of ending our virus with us.
Just because someone is standing on the edge of a cliff, doesn't mean it's "OK" to push them off because they are responsible for their own welfare.  That, my friend, is the real world.

Mike
(who hopes folks can see that this is not about saying anyone is a "criminal" for this sort of irresponsibility)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:00 pm »
Its a good thing people have made up forum names to hide behind because I really don't think Livewithit would be brave enough to own his words in what he refers to as the real world otherwise .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

The responsibility for safer sex RESTS WITH BOTH NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE folks.  There is no excuse for not protecting yourself (and others) by using condoms for all penetrative sex.  To suggest that one party to consensual sex, has a greater obligation to ensure safe sex, is bullshit.  My responsibility as a pozzie is to not pass my virus to others and it's my sole decision on how I achieve that objective.  For negative folks, their sole objective should be to avoid getting HIV or a myriad of other STDs and they can meet that objective, by consistently using condoms for penetrative sex.

For anyone to suggest that just because someone is poz, that they have a "higher duty" in terms of disclosure, etc., is to relieve the other party of any responsibility for a consensual act.  I lament the days when personal responsibility meant something to people.  Today, it seems that some folks want to blame anyone but themselves, for failing to protect them from HIV.

We have known the truth about HIV transmission for almost 30 years now and the rules are pretty simple.  However, there will always be those who seek to blame others for their own failings.  If you don't have the spine to protect yourself, then be prepared to accept the consequences.  But don't ever tell a pozzie, that their role in preventing infections, is greater than 50 percent.  It takes two to contract HIV.

I'll also second JKs comment about poz people needing to be visible and heard.  Before you know it, those of us who lived the early decades of the HIV plague, will be gone and with us, I fear the true horror of HIV may be forgotten.  It's the reason why some of us LTS react so negatively to efforts to paint us as virus infecting parasites or having a greater duty to stop the spread of HIV.

Joe

Offline Zohar

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
Hmm...interesting. I definitely don't see myself as 'victim' when bottoms insert my raw dick in their ass. Not sure where that idea came from.

And Newt is correct. There's very little discussion going on in sex clubs. However, recently, I struck up conversation with one of the aforementioned bottoms and..... whaddyaknow.... he was positive too.

Much of the indignation in this thread appears to be based on the notion that a 'poz' person is willfully infecting someone who's negative but, in reality, I don't think the issue is as black and white as that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:11:44 pm by Zohar »

Offline Zohar

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »

Just because someone is standing on the edge of a cliff, doesn't mean it's "OK" to push them off because they are responsible for their own welfare.  That, my friend, is the real world.

This is a false analogy. If you push someone off a cliff then they are almost certain to die. However, if someone with HIV has unprotected sex with someone who is negative, there is only a possibility that the person will go on to become infected. And that possibility isn't even particularly high.

Think back to when you were negative; if you had to choose, would you rather be pushed off a cliff, or take a load from someone with HIV?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:04:25 pm by Zohar »

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 09:04:06 pm »
The responsibility for safer sex RESTS WITH BOTH NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE folks.

But the neg person is the one that has his neg status to lose.  He can't be naive to think that a stranger who wants to get off is going to tell him the truth. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
Maybe I'm the only one who won't certainly sleep if I infected anyone with this virus. Fortunately, I don't have that burden and I never will.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline drewm

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 09:54:10 pm »
My partner and I both LIE our asses off at the redundant "safe sex" questions that come at the end of each doctors visit. We are monogamous and we are barebacking...taking each others loads...the whole 9 yards!
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Newguy

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »
I went to a bathouse last week for the first time since my diagnosis. I didn't have any bare sex, I topped a few guys with condom. What is interesting from a personal perspective is that I have warts on my penis, and I did not let a soul go down on me. Quite a few guys wanted to and I pushed them away.  This included some visible tweaked out guys who were dying to give oral and I still couldn't let them do it. Let me make this clear that this example has nothing to do with responsibility, this is strictly a moral issue. IT IS MY MORAL ISSUE, no one else's and I will never project my morality onto others.

Offline karry

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »

Maybe I'm the only one who won't certainly sleep if I infected anyone with this virus. Fortunately, I don't have that burden and I never will
You're not alone, Raf. I am hoping there are more HIV pos people out there who believe that it is wrong to put other people's lives at risk of having to live the "wonderfully positive life we bitch about" , by not disclosing while having unsafe sex.

Personally, I am disturbed that any HIV pos individual not only engages in unprotected sex with their partners, but finds the need to justify their actions. It does not change the act: you're still KNOWINGLY putting someone's life at risk.

Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
But the neg person is the one that has his neg status to lose.  He can't be naive to think that a stranger who wants to get off is going to tell him the truth.
That is why BOTH people share responsibility to stop infections.  You don't seem to get that this isn't an either or question.

M

Offline bocker3

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 10:30:21 pm »
This is a false analogy. If you push someone off a cliff then they are almost certain to die. However, if someone with HIV has unprotected sex with someone who is negative, there is only a possibility that the person will go on to become infected. And that possibility isn't even particularly high.

Think back to when you were negative; if you had to choose, would you rather be pushed off a cliff, or take a load from someone with HIV?
You truly are a horrible person if you are nitpicking an analogy like this.  my point was.......  Just because someone is WILLING to put themself at risk does not make it OK for you to oblige them.  Not a hard concept for anyone who cares for anyone besides themself.

M

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:02 pm »
You truly are a horrible person if you are nitpicking an analogy like this.  my point was.......  Just because someone is WILLING to put themself at risk does not make it OK for you to oblige them.  Not a hard concept for anyone who cares for anyone besides themself.

M

He's not a horrible person.  It was the worst analogy ever and doesn't apply to this situation.
Pray God you can cope

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:38 pm »
That is why BOTH people share responsibility to stop infections.  You don't seem to get that this isn't an either or question.

M

I know both share responsibilities, but only the neg person can absolutely keep themselves neg.  There are poz people out there that can infect people and sleep like a baby.  What I'm saying is if you are a neg person do not trust what other people tell you and risk becoming poz.   I'm not saying it should only be their responsibility but if they trust a stranger and become poz they have themselves to blame.
Pray God you can cope

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:53 am »
I know both share responsibilities, but only the neg person can absolutely keep themselves neg.  There are poz people out there that can infect people and sleep like a baby.  What I'm saying is if you are a neg person do not trust what other people tell you and risk becoming poz.   I'm not saying it should only be their responsibility but if they trust a stranger and become poz they have themselves to blame.

I have not yet been told if cuntwaffle is a pejorative I am allowed to use.

If I am not, then please allow me to ask you if you would wish upon others the mind-wrenching angst placed upon yourself on knowing your own status.

Proceed as you wish.

Welcome Thread

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 03:09:31 am »
Fascinating how some people try to quantify down to percentage point whose fault it is if someone acquires HIV. Also interesting that some people feel if there is no or little risk of transmission then there is no obligation to tell a sexual partner you have a sexually transmitted disease. I think a lie of omission in order to ensure someone will have sex with you, someone who might decide otherwise if he or she knew the truth, is not the behavior of an honest, empathetic or responsible person. The bottom line is I know I have HIV, I know most people who has sex with me would want to know that fact before having sex and not telling them would be putting my own needs and insecurities before their emotional well being. It's not all about disease transmission and blame, it is about living a life of integrity and considering the feelings of other people.

Have all the sex you want but be honest and responsible about it.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:20:46 am »

Both parties are responsible for their reactions, and it includes you.

Even if you're not ok with disclosing, slipping on rubber is the bare essential in my mind. And it's not that difficult.

I try not to judge, but to me it is rather telling that you choose to split hairs in this analogy in a bid to justify your morally grey, if reprehensible behaviour rather than simply admit you made a mistake and that you would not repeat it.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.