Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Optimism Will Prevail-> A Personal Statement  (Read 12996 times)

nychope1

Optimism Will Prevail-> A Personal Statement
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:16 am »
If you are driving north on the FDR here in Manhattan and you look to the right you'll see the East River. In the middle of the East River there is Roosevelt Island. On the southern most tip of that island stands the shell of an old brick building. That building was used to quarantine people who contracted a perplexing virus called small pox. Once upon a time in NYC's history, they took people who had the small pox virus and put them on a boat and shipped them to that building on the island in the middle of the East River.  If you were unfortunate enough to get small pox then you would surely have died, and most likely, alone on that island. That was only in the twentieth century. It was just as unfathomable to think of functional cures for viruses such as Small Pox, Polio and Measles then, as it is for the even more perplexing HIV virus today. Of course we hardly think about those "old" viruses today even though there is no known "cure" but rather a global eradication through vaccines and medications. HIV will surely join them.

I love all the commentary and everyone has a point. As I stated in another post in a research thread, there is a fundamental shift in the way the HIV virus is perceived. There is now a convergence of technology, engineering, new discoveries and an over all school of thought that are all pushing the tipping point. Mostly, it is economically more efficient to find a cure, whether that be functional or eradication.
In all of my reading and research I have not seen, in the whole time line of HIV, this kind of concerted effort to cross the "cure" finish line. The timing is right.
As well, it is coming from many different directions. I personally don't look to any one discovery or medicine as the magic bullet but the race is on and human nature being what it is I am always optimistic. The engineering of the current treatments are going to hit a one pill a day wall. Or better still, maybe a one dose a month wall. That means the only other direction to go is a cure and I believe the medical, research and HIV community fundamentally understands that.
Having lived in NYC for most of my 45 years and having known and seen people pass from this virus we are surely taking the current treatments for granted. And that is a good thing because that means it is just not enough anymore. We will progress, we will move forward, and one day, sooner than later, this forum will be something we barely remember participating in.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:02:04 pm by nychope1 »

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
Re: Optimism Will Prevail-> A Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:00 am »

Well said nychope
                                 Some people are born pessimists. Its those who never give up, have hope, vision and faith that make the world go forward.

Having lived in NYC for most of my 45 years and having known and seen people pass from this virus we are surely taking the current treatments for granted. And that is a good thing because that means it is just not enough anymore.
                  Couldn't agree with you more nychope,   we only have the current meds as bad as they maybe because our brothers and sisters, many of whom are sadly no longer with us, and the LTS who were willing to take the highly toxic meds in the early days.
                  If we sit back and accept the current situation we are surely doing injustice to those activists of the early days.
                   If we want better treatment or a cure, we have to keep the pressure on and keep fighting
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline surf18

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 04:46:18 pm »
i will remain optimistic.period. yes im a newbie but as a gay man this thing was on our minds our whole gay life for those of us 40ish and younger.so were not really newbies.
cure this thing asap!

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 05:38:04 pm »
I'm all for a search for a cure, but a tad confused how this post classifies as Research News

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »
well said nychope - very poignantly said.

there are a number of strands that seem to be coming together with the goal of cure - and it is true that without hope there is nothing. there is no purpose to life.

indeed - keep the pressure on - and remember to get in touch with the AIDS policy project - their lobbying efforts will surely make a difference. AIDS / HIV is not such a fashionable charity / funding target anymore. their objectives are very important.

nychope1

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »
Yes, maybe it belongs in Off-Topic. Wasn't sure where to put it since I was referring to current research I put it here.
Best...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:01:19 pm by nychope1 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:47 pm »
I'm all for a search for a cure, but a tad confused how this post classifies as Research News

It doesn't and that's why I'm moving it.

Yes, maybe it belongs in Off-Topic. Wasn't sure where to put it since I was referring to current research I put it here.
Best...

No, it doesn't belong in Off Topic either. The main subject of these forums is hiv/aids, so if your thread has something to do with hiv/aids, it should not be in OT because that is for things off the topic of hiv/aids. Geddit?

It belongs in Living With Hiv because personal statements concerning how optimistic or pessimistic one may be about the state of current hiv research is all part of Living With Hiv.

Threads in the Research forum should only be about breaking research news or any new studies that have come out.

NY, for future reference, check out each individual forum to see if it has a Welcome Thread at the top of the page. If it does, make sure you read it. It will give you guidance as to what may or may not be posted there. 

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10:10 am »
NYC, I think your optimism is great.  Believing that HIV can be cured is the first step in doing what you can to contribute to the cause.  Visit the amFar page and donate some money while you're at it  If everyone on this forum donated just fifty bucks we could do a lot to advance the objective.  www.amfar.org.  The donation option should pop up immediately.

Further, I believe that a cure is inevitable.  If history has proven anything, its that the impossible routinely becomes possible.  The issue is whether HIV is cured in the next five years as part of a concerted effort, or in 500 years as an afterthought in the back office of a lab.  When I posted, it was out of concern that someone literally thought that the Interleukin 7 clinical trial would result in a cure "by Christmas".  It won't.  My recollection is that the trial hardly concerns itself with curing the disease.  The researchers involved list curing the virus as a tertiary objective, and explicitly state they don't expect it to happen.  Their goal is simply to see if they can affect the resevoirs in living human beings.  In their discussion, the researchers explicitly neglect an attempt to affect the most terrifying and important resevoir of all, the brain.  

For better or for worse, these experiments take YEARS.  Do a search for "ensoli", the scientist who is behind the TAT vaccine which everyone is excited about.  There are posts going back to 2006, and Ensoli's studies seem to be relatively well funded and effective.  By design, biomedical research meanders along, sputters and more often than not finds itself at a dead end.  Hoping for a breakthrough in the next few weeks will only lead to dissappointment.  Disappointment will lead to disengagement, demonstrated by one responder who stated, "Do you have any idea how many times we've heard that?  "The Cure." "HIV Eradication." You'll learn."

NYC, I don't want you or any other poster to "learn" that kind of thing.  Thats why I posted what I did.  Like it or not, curing HIV is a marathon, not a sprint, and the more people in the race the better off we are.  By all means, hope for the best, but don't expect it, and certainly, try to apply historical context to what is happening here.  None of you are getting a cure for HIV this Christmas.  This doesn't mean that that you're not getting a cure.  

PS:  Did you mail your letters for the Aids Policy Project?  Its still not too late!  They even list a form letter, all you have to do is print it and sign it.    http://www.aidspolicyproject.org/nih-letter.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:42:32 am by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:19 am »
wtfimpoz,   well said.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

nychope1

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 11:14:43 pm »
Hey WTF...

WTF? My posting had nothing to do with you my man. It's just the way I see things. Hope some of the folks here can relate. All I want for Christmas is my two back teeth. The last of my caps and veneers. Peace brother...

J

Offline surf18

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »
nyhope.
love you man. i relate. and i too want it by christmas.and when people ask me what i want, i say in my head my health.period.
so yes i relate.loved your hopeful post. i like to read things like that ,makes me feel good and guess what? when we read feel good posts,our conciiounous pick up on that. and then you know what happens?we become healthier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep em coming!!
who the heck can say no by christmast? wouldnt it be nice if there was studies we dont know about that have passed all the shit they need to pass that are released by dec 21?

nychope1

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »
Thank you, Surf.. Love you too!

My dad used to say; "True luck is being prepared to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself."

The cure is among us now. Take your meds, if you are on them. Take care of your overall being and keep yourself healthy. When the day comes that a long term suppression or eradication of our virus is a reality we'll be healthy and ready to take advantage of it.

If I could only go back 10, 15 years and tell my gorgeous cousin and my dear buddies that they only need to take one pill a night and they would be OK and not get sick it would be a miracle and considered a cure. We are there now. You won't get sick. And before you know it, through FDA fast tracking and trials, a pill a day may turn into a pill a month. A pill a month may turn into five pills a year. Our sheer combined will, will make it happen.

Cheers Brother!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:07:43 am by nychope1 »

Offline surf18

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:30 am »
you got it man!!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »
    I've been poz most of my life (infected while I was in high school in the early 80's)

I think from a LTS perspective, no I have never given up hope but I always view things with caution. A lot of it is coming to terms with this illlness and one's mortality. Believing that you will never get sick is probably not always realistic or an option for many. People still die in the US from this disease, but you don't here about as it's not publicized as much anymore.  AIDS is brutal and HIV doesn't give a fuck about hope, or dreams or your plans in life.
    Having said that, I think there are a lot of changes coming and we indeed have come a long way from when the whole epidemic started. I feel that I have learned to try to live in a balance of living day to day and making plans for the future.

thank you,
Sharkie

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »

If I could only go back 10, 15 years and tell my gorgeous cousin and my dear buddies that they only need to take one pill a night and they would be OK and not get sick it would be a miracle and considered a cure. We are there now. You won't get sick.

you need to wise up
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

nychope1

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:24:10 pm »
Hey Miss Phillicia aka Debbie Downer..
I am not going to indulge that remark too much. Being born and bred in New York City I don't need anyone telling me to wise up.  I understand you have been on meds and hiv positive for a long time, I'm sorry about that, but that doesn't make you an expert on someone's medical future who has been recently diagnosed and healthy and have started on meds relatively quickly.
There are some folks here that fit that description and for you or anyone else to feel responsible to "wise them up" is just too bad.  There is nothing I have seen or read that says otherwise. This whole spooky notion about, what used to be, is what makes a lot of newbies nervous about starting on meds.
If people get tested early and start on meds right away they are going to be relatively healthy for a long long time.
We're all gonna get sick. We're all gonna get old. We're all gonna die. Doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna come from HIV.
I found this forum to be very helpful to me when I was first diagnosed because I found it to be optimistic. If that has changed, well then.... I have little use for "realists".

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:50 pm »
errrr...is someone gonna make popcorn??? This is gonna get good.  :P

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
errrr...is someone gonna make popcorn??? This is gonna get good.  :P

IT BETTER NOT!!!

ElZorro, please do not encourage flame-wars with these kinds of statements. Consider yourself warned!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »
IT BETTER NOT!!!

ElZorro, please do not encourage flame-wars with these kinds of statements. Consider yourself warned!

Yes, ma'am. My apologies. That wasn't my intent, but I can see how it could be construed that way. I was just trying to lighten the mood! Won't happen again  :-X

nychope1

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 03:37:33 pm »
Hahaha... It suppose it could have. Though this is my last posting on this thread. I said my peace.

Always wishing everyone here thanks and the best.

Offline surf18

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »
i live in ny's bubble! screw reality, i have my own reality and its great!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
The delusional false-hope brigade always amazes me with HIV.

Offline surf18

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 04:18:49 pm »
hope keeps me alive.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »
Ms P didn't say anything was wrong with hope, she's talking about false hope.

Years (and years) ago, we used to grab onto everything that came along that "sounded" good.  Then reality would always hit, and another good friend would die.  I just lost another friend this last week.  All the meds had failed him.

To take care of oneself, and trying to be optimistic is alright, but one needs to be realistic.  HIV still kills.  And if someone thinks they're immune from that, they're in for a rude awakening.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »
hope keeps me alive.

Really?  Handfuls of large pills keep me alive.  That and a fair amount of doctor's appointments.

Offline surf18

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 04:34:26 pm »
i dont think anyone here doubts the seriousness of the illness.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »
i dont think anyone here doubts the seriousness of the illness.

Really?  That's exactly why I pointed out the ignorance of saying "I'll never get sick" which threw you girls into such a smelling salt tizzy.

nychope1

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »
There should probably be another thread started as this one has strayed far from the original message.

It's pointless to try and argue with those who have had HIV/AIDS and been sick for a long time and who have valid reasons for their out look on this virus. It wasn't my intention to invalidate those of you who have that experience and are experiencing those conditions now.

Since there is a miscommunication at this point I think a clarification is in order.

There is enough valid medical evidence to warrant more than an optimistic and hopeful outlook on current management and future long term suppression and possible eradication of the HIV virus.

Especially for NEWBIES, who have in the last few years, been diagnosed and are doing well on the current meds available. Their chances of developing full blown AIDS and having HIV related illnesses has greatly diminished. Getting diagnosed early, staying healthy, taking their meds, not indulging in street drugs and other things that can compromise one's health no matter what they have will stave off AIDS for decades if ever. That's just a fact.  There are so many more worse diseases to have than this in this day of age.

Further more, in my bliss, I still believe that even those who's immune system's have been damaged beyond repair from having had this virus for a long time and having their own personal medical issues still benefit and stand to benefit from current and future breakthrough's.

If you must rain on a parade of facts and hopefulness start your own hopeless thread you'll have a lot of responders!  This here homey don't play that.

Offline surf18

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 05:26:34 pm »
very well put

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »
   No one is saying they are enjoying living with this disease (AIDS-HIV it's all a continuum ). There is a lot to deal with being recently diagnosed.
     There are indeed stages of coping and accepting a diagnosis of being positive which is why seeing a therapist or counselor is essential. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »

There are indeed stages of coping and accepting a diagnosis of being positive which is why seeing a therapist or counselor is essential. 

very well put

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 07:28:06 pm »
Yeah, even though I blow through therapists like tissue paper in allergy season, I heartily promote a good therapist, when needed (and good THERAPY - when needed) during the course of HIV - which, as of this date, is a lifetime.

If there were no issues regarding HIV, then forums like this would wither. And if the experiences of those of us who have disclosed, suffered OIs, changed insurance (or had none), entered/exited the job market, found (and lost) love and friendships were no longer necessary, then it would be time to pack up shop.

Optimism is terrific! Realism is cool too... and one does NOT preclude the other.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

nychope1

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:10 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen..

I am announcing that I have discovered the cure for HIV.  hic-up Though I have decided to keep it to myself.

Also, I am glad this thread will slowly move into obscurity.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »
Getting diagnosed early, staying healthy, taking their meds, not indulging in street drugs and other things that can compromise one's health no matter what they have will stave off AIDS for decades if ever. That's just a fact.  There are so many more worse diseases to have than this in this day of age.

If you must rain on a parade of facts and hopefulness start your own hopeless thread you'll have a lot of responders!  This here homey don't play that.

The only fact about HIV is that there are none. I lost a good friend, who was an HIV doctor, got diagnosed early and was failed by every HIV med available at the time. He did everything right and he died anyways, so don't go making guarantees that do not exist. You make these wild claims, as facts, when they are nothing more than your opinion. Forgive me if I try and temper your hurtful comments, especially to all those readers, who are doing everything right, yet are still dying or living challenging lives.

Hopefulness feeds the soul, however it must be tempered by empathy and reality. Your comments are your opinions and nothing more. There are no facts here, just because you say it is so.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:39 pm »
AWESOME post nyc!  I feel as though there will be a cure and have hope as well (as my screen-name implies). 

nychope1

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 05:12:12 am »
Mr. killfoile

That is a complete inaccurate statement from you taken out of context. I always preface anything I write here with a personal opinion clause or a quote or link back to where I read it.

There ARE facts about HIV. None of which come from me personally. I am sorry for your losses. If you knew me you would know I have experienced family and friends that have succumbed to AIDS.  You are taking my hopeful message and spinning it around. New news on research and optimistic outlooks are important to the newly  diagnosed whether that means a week ago or a five years ago.
That's all I can say. Please don't pull one part from a well meaning entire post to prove a point.
Read all of what I wrote.
Best to you...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:10:22 am by nychope1 »

Offline numbers

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 09:22:17 am »
NYC, thank you for your message of hope.  Being diagnosed with AIDS and dealing with KS and a lot of mental torment, it helps me to see that there is some optimism.  Thank you  :)
Tested positive Feb. 2010 VL 181K CD4 161
Started Truvada, Prezista, and Norvir
Sept 2010 VL UD CD4 380
Jan 2011 VL UD CD4 450 I can sleep now thanks to Cipralex!
March 2011 VL UD CD4 490
September 2011 VL UD CD4 500

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 10:03:20 am »
If you must rain on a parade of facts and hopefulness start your own hopeless thread you'll have a lot of responders!  This here homey don't play that.

I have little use for "realists".

I appreciate your hope, however to tell anyone, especially those who have been positive for perhaps half of their life, to start another thread because they disagree or offer a different opinion than you is uncalled for.  There is nothing wrong with a discussion among those with differing opinions.

I have been positive for almost 5 years.  I am pretty much indifferent to the research.  If a cure or a method or prevention is found that would be wonderful!!!  However if not while I am on this earth, I will continue to go about doing what is required to help fight my HIV.  There is a whole litany of diseases, cancer, Parkinson's, MS, Alzheimer's....that have been around for much longer (and don't forget for the first few years of HIV/AIDS very few people with very little funding were conducting research) and cures still have not been found.  Better treatment methods yes, but still no cure.

If I could only go back 10, 15 years and tell my gorgeous cousin and my dear buddies that they only need to take one pill a night and they would be OK and not get sick it would be a miracle and considered a cure. We are there now. You won't get sick.

I find this statement to be outrageous!!!   When I speak about HIV in regards to my life I always call it "my HIV" not out of selfish motivations, but because if there is one thing I have learned on this forum and with other poz friends is that HIV affects each individual differently. To make a statement like this totally disregards the effect  HIV has on individuals  physically and mentally.

"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 12:43:40 pm »
The cure is among us now. Take your meds, if you are on them. Take care of your overall being and keep yourself healthy. When the day comes that a long term suppression or eradication of our virus is a reality we'll be healthy and ready to take advantage of it.

If I could only go back 10, 15 years and tell my gorgeous cousin and my dear buddies that they only need to take one pill a night and they would be OK and not get sick it would be a miracle and considered a cure. We are there now. You won't get sick. And before you know it, through FDA fast tracking and trials, a pill a day may turn into a pill a month. A pill a month may turn into five pills a year. Our sheer combined will, will make it happen.

Mr. killfoile

That is a complete inaccurate statement from you taken out of context. I always preface anything I write here with a personal opinion clause or a quote or link back to where I read it.

There ARE facts about HIV. None of which come from me personally. I am sorry for your losses. If you knew me you would know I have experienced family and friends that have succumbed to AIDS.  You are taking my hopeful message and spinning it around. New news on research and optimistic outlooks are important to the newly  diagnosed whether that means a week ago or a five years ago.
That's all I can say. Please don't pull one part from a well meaning entire post to prove a point.
Read all of what I wrote.
Best to you...

I have read all that you wrote and that is why I replied. I understand your message of hope and I share those sentiments, however, I would choose very different words to express that hope. What am I to think of you claiming that 10-15 years ago you could have told folks to just take their meds and everything would be great? That is exactly what thousands upon thousands of people did and they died anyways. Or your guarantee that today, you can just take a couple of pills and you will not get sick. I am afraid that is a guarantee that nobody can make.

While you believe me to be taking your message out of context, I ask you to reread what you wrote. As you read your comments, imagine if you are someone for whom, none of the medications work. Or that you have multiple complications from HIV infection that make your life very difficult. What are they to think, when you tell them that taking the meds will keep them healthy, never to become sick, yet it happens anyways. How might they feel, when everything you claim, goes against their reality? That is why I said that hope must be tempered with empathy for others.

Hope is critical for all those infected with HIV, but blind hope can be painful for those who do not fit your particular example and there are millions of them. I do want the newly infected to have hope, but I also want them to see HIV realistically, otherwise they will never learn how to live with HIV. Living with HIV involves an honest assessment of your health and using all the tools that we have, to remain as healthy as possible. For you to suggest that today's medications are some form of insurance, against becoming ill, is beyond irresponsible.

However, you seem to only want to cast rainbows, with no regards to the readers on this forum. We have newly diagnosed members who are having a very difficult time with HIV and for you to suggest that all they need do, to remain healthy, is to pop a couple of pills is incredibly cruel. So if calling you to task, for making incredibly insensitive comments, is raining on your parade, I am sorry, but I am only commenting on what you wrote. There are multiple ways to express hopefulness, without the need to trample on the feelings of others.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:49:57 pm by killfoile »

nychope1

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 12:50:36 pm »
You can spin and pick apart what I wrote anyway you like. It is an open forum. If there are a few folks here who got the original intent of this thread that is great.

I'm not commenting on this thread any further.

Best to you..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:57:22 pm by nychope1 »

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »
Killfoile, well said.

I do want the newly infected to have hope, but I also want them to see HIV realistically, otherwise they will never learn how to live with HIV. Living with HIV involves an honest assessment of your health and using all the tools that we have, to remain as healthy as possible.

I can also hear moffie saying something to the same effect, although he probably would have been much more adamant....:)

It is an open forum.

Exactly, so why get so bent out of shape when others share differing thoughts. I find the thread interesting and appreciate what all have said.  And I hope you won't let those differing thoughts diminish your hope, but will understand the intent from where they come from.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.