Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:03:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 130
Total: 131

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For all who "wonder" if they should see a doctor.....  (Read 6645 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
For all who "wonder" if they should see a doctor.....
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:52 pm »
I've noticed a lot of threads of late with people wondering if they should see a doctor or wait and see if {whatever symptom} gets better.  Here is a little story.....

I found out yesterday that my older brother has had an enlarged testicle for 3+ months....  he kept "waiting for it to get better" until he just couldn't stand it any more.  He called a urologist once it felt like "a ten pound pumpkin in a five pound bag".
He had it biopsied today -- yep - it's cancer.  They removed the testicle, but in his preop work up they "saw something" on his kidney -- now he has to go back for more tests to see if that "something" is the cancer having spread.
He really wishes he had gone when he first noticed one ball twice the size of the other -- but waited until it was even bigger.
I wish he had too -- while we haven't been particularly close in adulthood, he is still my only "big brother" (I have 2 younger ones) and I did look up to him when younger (until a certain point, but that is a story for another day).
From what I've read, there is a good cure rate for testicular cancer, even when it's spread -- but he is much older than the typical person who gets this, so I have no idea if that "complicates" things.
I haven't spoken to him today -- my mother said he was not really in a mood to talk to anyone.  If I were in RI, I'd probably have stopped by anyway, but decided to not call.  My mother is freaking out.  I tried to calm her down by pointing out that she survived breast cancer 30+ yrs ago and my dad recently survived prostate cancer -- so there is evidence of decent genes.
We shall see how things progress.

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: For all who "wonder" if they should see a doctor.....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:57:28 am »
You make an excellent but sad point about seeing a physician promptly when new medical problems arise. I wish your brother the best and hope his treatment goes well.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34:21 am »
Yes, point well made. So sorry to hear this. Hope what they saw on the kidney turns out to be nothing.

hugs,
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:55 am »
Here on the Rock they hold assemblies each year in the high schools where they explain how to check testicles for signs of cancer. The pass out model testicles - one version of a "normal" testicle, one of a possibly cancerous testicle for everyone to feel.

These assemblies include both boys and girls, so girlfriends can also know if they're feeling something potentially abnormal. I read an article in the local rag a year or two ago where this program has resulted in quite a few young men coming forward as a direct result.

Mike, I wish your brother well and I hope he's on the road to a full recovery.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
Here on the Rock they hold assemblies each year in the high schools where they explain how to check testicles for signs of cancer. The pass out model testicles - one version of a "normal" testicle, one of a possibly cancerous testicle for everyone to feel.

Thats great ^

Here's a really good video of how to check your testicles properly.

Yes it has naked soccer guys, and is slightly NSFW (you see balls but not penis)...but it is highly educational and every guy should see it. Seriously.

I dont think this violates the posting guidelines but ill let the mods decide..

http://www.thegailygrind.com/2013/10/08/rugby-players-demonstrate-check-testicular-cancer-video-might-save-life-nsfw/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:13:22 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:06:38 am »
The guy in the back middle row is bi-curious LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:01 am »
The guy in the back middle row is bi-curious LOL .

LOL. Is that the guy who keeps looking around at everyone else's bean bags?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:26:37 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:24:39 am »
Thats great ^

Here's a really good video of how to check your testicles properly.

Yes it has naked soccer guys, and is slightly NSFW (you see balls but not penis)...but it is highly educational and every guy should see it. Seriously.

I dont think this violates the posting guidelines but ill let the mods decide..

http://www.thegailygrind.com/2013/10/08/rugby-players-demonstrate-check-testicular-cancer-video-might-save-life-nsfw/

Mike I pray your brother will be OK   . Older brothers are the best .

That is a good video  Willy   :)

Mine don't match anymore  ???     Could be time to have a movie of my little ornaments .

I will bring this up to my ID Doctor  next visit .

Weasel

P.s. I dropped my Anti - depressant and my organ loves that  :-X
" Live and let Live "

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:39:46 am »

Mike, I pray your brother gets well quickly

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:49:50 am »
Im wishing your brother the best Mike .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »
I'm hoping everything works out and your brother doesn't have any more problems.  I try to check my testicles once a month.  You would think we'd be checking them all the time, but I mean a real feel for any abnormalities that weren't there before.  I think many men think this is something teens and those in their early 20's have to worry about.  Yes, they have higher rates, but it can happen later in life--obviously.

Besides not noticing things like this, there is an insurance issue for many.  And, I know for me, I didn't want to be labeled a hypochondriac.  When I went back to have the shoulder blade pain checked after pneumonia, I did feel a little hypochondriac.  I have a lump inside my anus now.  I'm sure it is just a hemorrhoid, but I have an appointment tomorrow to have it checked.  My normally very large stools have been really thin.  Again, could be the hemorrhoid lump pressing them thin, but I'm going to make sure not some other kind of lump.  And, you don't want an infected hemorrhoid either.  Better to just have it checked.  If some think I'm a hypochondriac, then so be it. 

Back to your brother-- I hope he gets a clean bill of health and the kidney issue isn't really an issue. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »
Thinking of you Mike, your brother and family.

David
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:08 pm »
Thanks all -- the research I've been doing is showing that, even if the cancer has spread, the cure rate is 80+%.  Of course, he's having a tough time digesting this -- it is rare for a 51yo to have this type of cancer.  I'm sure he's regretting putting it off, but that is water under the bridge at this point.  Not sure when we will know more, i.e. staging and what the "something" on the kidney really is. 

The timing is quite "odd" too....  I have been seeing a urologist every 6 mos for a while now because of lumps of my own.  2 yrs ago we did a testicular ultrasound and the doc said I had epididymal cysts.  One option was to remove the ball -- but he recommended a "watch" approach because these rarely turn cancerous (though, I imagine, could mask it).  My next appt is next Friday -- I suspect that we may want to change our approach. Oddly he constantly brings up how removal might impact my ability to have more children -- I'm a, nearly, 50 yo gay man with 5 grandchildren....  my baby making days are behind me.

Thanks again for the well wishes for my brother......

Mike

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:02:09 am »
Mike - sending positive thoughts for your brother and for you....

Glad that he is getting this taken care of and hoping that the treatment effectively and quickly resolves the issue....

I think the stress of it all can sometimes be worse than the treatment itself -
Glad that he has confided in you and that you are available to be there to give him support...

Take care of you also.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:09 am »
Sorry for being so late to send positive thoughts.  Take care and sending you both my be best.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline britchick

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:31:51 pm »
bocker3,

Im sending best wishes and thoughts to you, your brother and family.
I also want to thank you for encouraging others to think about their health.

Thinking of you both
britchickx

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
Hi Booker, I am sorry for your brother, he,s learnt a hard lesson . Its a concern I have with my own elder brother , that he is too caveler about his health and puts up with  " stuff ".

Hope its plain sailing for the pair off you and some , at least closeness comes out off this.

Take care
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »
I need my brother to read this thread , it may 25 years since he had a check up or seen a doc . Yelling at him hasn't helped .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »
Its seems that there are a few off us who have members the off group public health people want to get at to use health service,s .

I can understand some off it but its frustrating because off what I have seen , blokes in general get very confused about Bravery when confronted with the fear off serious illness, wont speak for the Lady,s and they do not worry the Public Health people with this reluctance to address fear.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline bocker3

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »
OK -- a good, but strange update.

My brother saw his urologist again today -- seems he does NOT have testicular cancer.  According to my mother's report -- he had a severe infection.  He still is scheduled for a CT scan next week to look at that "something" on his kidney though.

I am VERY happy that it isn't testicular cancer --  but something is very, very odd here.  My mother is notorious for not getting or passing on information in it's complete form, so I do need to talk to my brother.  I think I am going to wait until I get up to RI in 2 weeks and talk to him in person though.  But this is what seems odd to me:

A.  He left his exploratory surgery, last week, thinking he had a cancer and minus one ball.  He went into surgery being told if it was cancer it should come out of him (he agreed), if it wasn't then they wouldn't need to remove it.

B.  He spent a week thinking it was cancer and making follow up appts.

C.  He was sent home WITHOUT any antibiotics -- only pain meds.  It was only today -- a week later that he got a Rx for antibiotics.

Seems to me that if they thought it was an infection when they removed, he would have gone home with antibiotics -- I mean if a ball is so infected that the doc think it needs to be cut out, well.......  antibiotics are a no-brainer.

My suspicion is that someone misread/overread a surgical biopsy in the moment, called it cancer and in the subsequent pathology review of the removed organ (a standard thing), the pathologist saw infection and no cancer.  Too late to "put it back".  This wouldn't bother me so much if they hadn't let him go a week thinking he had cancer.

Again -- greatly relieved (pending the kidney thing, of course), but very confused.

Side note -- my mother was put out that, after driving my brother to his appt today, he did not agree to let her come in to the exam room.  She felt that he was too emotional to understand everything the doc would say.  I pointed out that a 51 y.o. man certainly wouldn't want his mother in a UROLOGY exam.  She said, and I quote, oh please, I changed his diaper.  After picking up my chin from the floor, I told her , yeah, well a lot has changed in the last 50 years mother.  ::)

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 10:41:49 pm »
I'm glad he is going to be ok but it is a unsettling turn of events all the same . It begs a lot of questions .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 10:45:12 pm »
I am glad he doesn't have testicular cancer and I wish the best for the kidney issue.  This is odd and does beg further answers.  But, great news about no cancer. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 10:32:53 am »
Strange indeed. I hope his kidney issue is a non-issue.
LOL about your mother not understanding why she wasn't needed in the exam room.   :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline britchick

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »
Im so relieved that your brother doesn't have testicular cancer.You, your brother , and family have had a really rough week......I hope everything works out and that he also gets some answers and an apology for what he has endured this week.

britchickx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.