Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 09:44:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773499
  • Total Topics: 66376
  • Online Today: 408
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 316
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This makes no freaking sense  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Almost2late

This makes no freaking sense
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:52:11 am »
This really makes no sense that this very blue state with 5000 new infections a year, the Governor would veto a bill that would allow ER's to "offer" HIV testing.. If my state would have offered me testing the several times I've been to the ER before my dx, I would not be living with an AIDS dx.. So fuckin stupid.. Thought this Brown was a liberal..

http://patch.com/california/southsanfrancisco/governor-vetoed-bill-requiring-hiv-test-be-offered-ers

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: This makes no freaking sense
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
I don't often side with AHF but they are right to blast back. this is a very sad situation.

I've always believed that opt-in testing, that isn't even offered, has been a huge gap in our prevention/early detection interventions. I can't tell you how many people I know who went through multiple ER and hospital stays without a doctor even suggesting, much less just running, the test. Many people have presented with basic symptoms and during the search for the cause not understood that no hiv test was run. Unless YOU know to ask, no one even offers. Many people (sounds like you're one of them A2L) just assume they were "tested for everything" and assume that since no one said the problem was HIV believe that HIV isn't the problem - until later when things are even worse. :(

that "no-one-to-counsel" excuse is lame. Lots of people have been diagnosed and gone on with no one ever counseling them. Hell, no one counsels the people who use the home test either.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:04 am »
UAB in Birmingham now offers testing to all people admitted to the hospital as a standard practice but you can opt out if you want.

I wish there was more of a push to make testing more a routine test so that its just part of any physical but there is that little issue of access to treatment that must be addressed too if we wish to get on the test everyone bandwagon. I think Jerry Brown got this wrong in a big way.   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline LukasAtlPZ

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »
I think that the hospital should always perform HIV and Hep testing whenever performing ANY invasive procedure/surgery (either out-patient or in-patient). Testing should also be SOP in the ER, based on common sense of course.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »
UAB in Birmingham now offers testing to all people admitted to the hospital as a standard practice but you can opt out if you want.

I wish there was more of a push to make testing more a routine test so that its just part of any physical but there is that little issue of access to treatment that must be addressed too if we wish to get on the test everyone bandwagon. I think Jerry Brown got this wrong in a big way.
I should have pointed that out!! I usually do. :(

I don't remember exactly when (2011 or so I'm thinking. It was around my first yr of being commchair for the task force and I posted something on our website about it. google it up if you just have to know. LOL WooHoo! My brain is hanging in there. 2011 was the right year http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/news/2012/08/first-year-of-hiv-testing-in-uab-ed-helps-reduce-the-spread-of-virus.aspx) but a few years ago, ADPH was the first state to approve opt-out HIV testing in emergency rooms. that was an incredibly farsighted move on part of the health department in a state with very "red-state problems". (Hey! I ain't ragging on AL cause SC ain't much better. The third-world HIV epidemic levels of testing, treating, and deaths across the South is just appalling considering I'm chatting via the internet while living in a very much first-world society.)

as to the reasoning about a lack of counseling in an ER testing situation, that stills sounds so senselessly shallow to me. ERs are often attached to hospitals. Surely there must be some sort of counselor on-call to deliver all those other horrible bits of bad news to people who are dx'ed with all sorts of other deadly problems. And for the non-affiliated ERs, they're probably telling people a bunch of bad news and even telling accompanying family and friends that patients have actually died, not just been infected with a terminal, but treatable, illness.

using mental health as a barrier just shows, to me the PLWH advocate, that we need more access to mental health care for people, especially for people diagnosed with HIV since there seems to be so many issues related to diagnosis, living with, dealing with, and living a long time with HIV. As a highly involved LTS, I can clearly see that mental health care is needed on either extreme of being newly diagnosed or as a long term survivor; but the expectation is too high if only those with access to counseling should be the ones to get access to testing.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:14:32 pm »
but there is that little issue of access to treatment that must be addressed too if we wish to get on the test everyone bandwagon.
without diminishing the whole aspect of this huge issue, I would like to say something about the scope of the issue. you know, a little insider-talk. ;) I know the adap waiting lists are hardly ancient history (those were just cleared back in 2011/2012) but these days, thanks to a lot of creativity from state-run ryan white programs, we're getting a lot more people into treatment a lot easier. Even the change from starting"meds @ 350" to "starting @ diagnosis" is partially supported because we are getting those tested into treatment these days, and quickly into treatment. Even HRSA HAB measures have been bumped up pushing quality improvement.

while the national care continuum looks like this:

at many individual ASOs, their care continuum looks much different.
for this graph below (my own just-now pasted-together creation thank you. LOL) the client is defined by someone who has HIV, has been diagnosed, and has been linked to care. That's a lot of steps in the national continuum that are just breezed through sometimes - especially, say, at an ASO or FQHC (federally qualified health care) where a testing positive could lead to an immediate doctor visit with ARV prescription.

For example, at my ASO we worked through a quality project to review the time from diagnosis to medical visit (with now includes prescription). We improved that number from 21 days to 4-7 days! Several other agencies around the state have very similar numbers; although 8-12 seems about the average.

of course, retaining clients in care is the bug-a-boo, however once that happens we have 100% ARV prescription and usually high levels of viral suppression. I also think this chart could look like 100/85/100/75, a kind of up-down up-down flow, and be just as accurate. Regardless, we know that that there is a great function to show that more linkage equals more viral suppression.... in the long run.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »
I cant wrap my head around why the state of Ca. thinks its sound reasoning to not fund a test for a life threatening condition . Its like admitting defeat and throwing hands up and saying that treatment and testing is a pipe dream and something that the medical community cant handle . What kind of message does this send to people on the fence about testing ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:29 pm »
I agree that counseling would be ideal after an HIV diagnosis but come on, do you want to save some lives and stop an infected person from spreading this or not?..

Can't help but think that Governor Doo-doo Brown had his hand held out and someone forgot to grease it, which is what usually is going on in these situations when politicians come up with such ridiculous excuses..

Really? Alabama got this done!.. Wow, that's good.. How many other states?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:04:20 pm »

Really? Alabama got this done!.. Wow, that's good.. How many other states?

It was not a state initiative . It’s a policy that UAB health Systems and UAB hospital adopted to help get people diagnosed and into treatment.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.