Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 385
Total: 387

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lipid results  (Read 8012 times)

Offline wolfter

Lipid results
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »
I had my first lipid tests back in 2001 after my 1st heart attack.
Total cholesterol was 496
HDL                          22
LDL                          267
Triglycerides              311

Even with the different medications I could never get them under control.  I rec'd the latest results and am quite happy.  I had already told my doctor that if they weren't much better I was having a giant steak and a slab of Swiss cheese.  I guess the vegetarian diet along with exercise works.

Total cholesterol now 164
HDL                          55
LDL                           94
Triglycerides               77

Guess I'll go fix another veggie burger. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: Lipid results
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:06:54 pm »
Very impressive.  Its great to get good results back and those are definitely good results.  Congrats!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:15:25 pm »
Woo Hoo -- can't get much better than that!!! 

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:59 pm »
I'm impressed.

But shouldn't have this been posted somewhere else? ;)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »
Those are great results.  Congrats.

Just curious,  did you loose weight on the veggie diet?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:25 am »
Those are great results.  Congrats.

Just curious,  did you loose weight on the veggie diet?

I haven't lost as much as I thought I would.  I think it might have more to do with gaining muscle mass instead of the typical "scale" numbers that I've always been a slave to.  I had expanded to around 155 lbs and wanted to be back in the low 140's.  I'm in the upper 140's but have lost a couple of waist sizes. 

I'm not a nutritionist by any stretch and am still learning.  For me, acquiring an adequate daily amount of protein was challenging.  I am accomplishing that without supplements now.  Tofu is my friend ;D 

It was a difficult decision to follow through with, but it becomes easier over time.  I'm fortunate that I have family members who are also vegetarians and that helped me immensely.  Good luck if you decide to try this route.  I know of at least a few members here who also follow this diet.

Wolfie

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:51 am »
I'm impressed.

But shouldn't have this been posted somewhere else? ;)

You mean, like in the nutrition thread?....yes.   ;D  I never know where to post and leave it up to the mods ;)

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:16:13 am »
Wolf.

I was jivin' you.  I know you and the moderators have a running battle as to where to post your messages, or at least it seems that way. 

Well, one thing is for sure.  At least here in the 'nutrition' forum, your post is well hidden and I doubt will be read by very many people. 

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks for the info Wolfer.

I have had a problem with my lipids all my life.   I have always eaten healthy and exercised so it seems to be a genetic thing.  It's been suggested that I try a complete veggie diet (I already eat lots of veggies).

I do have trouble keeping my weight up though.  That's why i asked.

If you have any suggestions based on your experience I'd appreciate it.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:03 am »
Hey Wolfie,

Great news! You have been very disciplined and the results show it works.

I am still working on it. I have dropped 5 or 6 pounds since I saw you in Seattle.

I still can't do the strict vegetarian diet. By the time you subrtract the gluten from the vegetarian foods, there isn't much left.  :'(

But, you are right. Tofu is our friend, but I also eat fish.

Keep up the good work,

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.