Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:51:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where to retire living with HIV.  (Read 37293 times)

Offline buginme2

Re: Where to retire living with HIV.
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 03:12:41 am »
Everyone is forgetting about Laguna beach.

Also a gay retirement place and super nice.  Albeit expensive
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:37 am »
Thank you so much David. I did a rd trip Seattle to LA and the Oregon coast was a joy. Though we often could only see a few feet in front off us due to Sea fog . Walking into a restaurant in one condition off weather exiting it into entirely differant weather was a running Joke.

Oregon was the hit off the trip for me , and that is no down comment on all the other delights , its was just my prior knowledge off Oregon was practically non existant so it all felt like a fantastic discovery.

A friend in Seattle had supplied me with some extraordinary herbal compounds and I lost my journal for the trip so my memory is not as exact as it could be. It was however one off the best months in a time off horrors.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:06 am »
CA is very big -- how can one even compare San Diego to living in Fesno or Redding, cost-wise -- much less the climates.

Like saying Virginia is expensive because of Loudoun when you can buy a cheap house in Boydton instead.

No one in this thread has mentioned Fresno or Redding, now have they??  But, yes, different parts of any state will have higher or lower costs of living.  That usually stems from whether or not lots of people want to live in one place over the other.  However, CA state taxes are the same everywhere, one must presume, and they are quite high.  Plus, all the state regulations makes gasoline, electricity and other utilities higher than many other places.
All I am saying (and, despite your nitpicking, I stand by what I said) is that if you are on a budget for retirement, California might not be the place to move based on cost.

M

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 07:52:30 am »
Tel Aviv?  Montevideo?  Lisbon?  Saigon?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:43 am »
Im just throwing names out there, as I will retire where I am I hope. 
But I hear Uruguay is progressive for gay rights.
Here's Gilda (Rita Hayworth) doing her dance in Montevideo when Buenos Aires becomes a trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1C1qQ_VoI
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 08:49:23 am »
However, CA state taxes are the same everywhere, one must presume, and they are quite high. 

State income tax, as you well know, isn't the only form of taxation to consider when retiring -- states that have no income tax are going to suck your money out some other manner, sales, property, "licensing" etc. Wyoming has no tax on income but in the end the aggregate tax rate is higher than California, etc.

In the end you all would probably save more money learning to live in 1000 sq ft of space as a married couple but I know most of you are incapable of doing that.

ps: I wasn't nitpicking, your comment was just dumb.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:06 am »
In the spirit of keeping a very good thread healthy lets refrain from calling other members with different opinions dumb and get back on topic . Member Jeff is requesting this so lets not make moderator Jeff have to drop in .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »
A big factor for where we live is family, both biological and chosen.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »
I have very few friends here I socialize with and I am thinking I may be lonely if I move away . I used to have wanderlust in my veins but I have come to believe if you cant be happy where you are that wont change if you move . I could totally see myself living in Palm Springs ... or Thailand ... I really liked Thailand and I could live very well there .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:55 pm »
Living in Palm Springs would be like being eternally trapped on a bad gay cruise ship.

Offline mecch

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »
La Valette Malta? (Gorgeous!)

I looked there are apartments in Montevideo for 100,000 and in fact it is a retirement destination with cheap health insurance and good services...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:43:17 pm by mecch »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »

I looked there are apartments in Montevideo for 100,000 and in fact it is a retirement destination with cheap health insurance and good services...

We can't even agree on Palm Springs and your throwing out places like La Valetta and Uraguay?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »
I have very few friends here I socialize with and I am thinking I may be lonely if I move away . I used to have wanderlust in my veins but I have come to believe if you cant be happy where you are that wont change if you move . I could totally see myself living in Palm Springs ... or Thailand ... I really liked Thailand and I could live very well there .

Same here but future finances are my issue. Downsizing around here into a condo isn't much cheaper than staying put. I have very few friends here but my dearest one and I spend over 95% of our time together on the phone. I could do that wherever we ended up. ALL of our family resides in Minnesota and Michigan and that seems to suit us both fine. No major issues involved. It's just the way it is.

We could easily be happy in something around 1100-1200 sq. ft.

Living in Palm Springs would be like being eternally trapped on a bad gay cruise ship.

I take it you won't be visiting.

Moving out of this country is not an option at this point in my life. Actually never was.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline pittman

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 11:33:17 pm »
I have to say, I like where I'm at for retirement.  PA doesn't tax retirement savings withdrawals as they took care of that when you put it in.  Summers are not too hot in western PA, and a fireplace with a dog are what winters are for.  Healthcare is great.

Besides, top of the list is my support network of friends. All the rest of the great places are what travel is for.

Offline scotty54

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:29 am »
Remaining in the DC area. Climate may not be San Diego perfect, but we have an early spring and a lengthy autumn.  Yes the cost-of-living index is higher than average. 

Probably some of the bigger pluses----area residents tend to be well-educated and literate.  Medical care is very good.  And there is always something astir, no matter what ones interests.
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:02 am »

Offline AusShep

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:27 pm »
If you retire into a condo unit please make sure you have flood insurance -- it's the only thing that will cover you when your upstairs neighbor's month's old corpse decomposes then explodes and leaks torrents of blood, bile and fermented fluids into your until below.

Well, I've had my fill gross for the day, uh, thanks  :o
Am I the only one who wondered if her dog was ok?

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2014, 12:27:41 pm »
Ft Lauderdale

Offline Theyer

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »
Well, I've had my fill gross for the day, uh, thanks  :o
Am I the only one who wondered if her dog was ok?

There is usually a hint in the link and one learns not to go there .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline scotty54

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
Having lived in detached houses and condos both have pro's and con's.  What's the feeling out there about both options for retirement?

Security and privacy can both be considerations. Even the best blinds and curtains let in uninvited glare.
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline mecch

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
I search further and found
Butami,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batumi
Capital of of the autonomous region of Georgia called Adjara. It's the "pearl of the Black Sea." Its a mixture of Beirut, Odessa, and Atlantic city.  A formerly dowager seaside resort that's being spruced up with mini-dubai/macao modern towers and attractions.

Also I found gorgeous Béjaïa, the main (and small) city of the Kabyle culture in Algeria.
http://ds-lands.com/bejaia.html
A City on the slopes of a mountain overlooking a beautiful bay and the sea, with steps like Capris and nobody around but the Algeriens. The Kablye are a very important branch of the Berber.  They are gorgeous - ideal woman Isabelle Adjani and man Zinedine Zidane...... The french called this city Bougie, because it was a centre of wax trading. 

It's close to Alger and is developing rapidly for tourism but not so much international tourism, vue the political situation.  I looked at real estate prices and its not cheap.
There were riots and suppression in April - the Kabylie have a liberation front / separatist group. There were emeutes this month, as there are Presidential elections.

There's a university, hipsters, and I found this clip put this up recently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5e133j2W8
Its gut wrenching to watch considering whats going on.  Its a tinderbox...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIQRuT7xgw
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:58:58 pm by mecch »

Offline Theyer

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2014, 05:12:50 pm »
Must say Mecch , your retirement plans are a lot more fun and interesting than Ft Lauderdale , which sounds to me like a great big military laundry.

Estonia ,worthy of consideration, If I was an internationalist , without good state provided medical care, on a limited budjet , with private insurance . The one thing I would want to avoid in my last years is violent political upheaval , which I urge you to consider threw the eyes off a 80 year old , instead off the nimble whippet you currently are.

The video does break ones heart ,when viewed in full context,
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:27:29 pm by Theyer »

Offline mecch

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:06 pm »
I'm having some fun with the topic.  I find it therapeutic because it worries me - where I will retire, with what sort of support, at what income, etc.  (As I said, it would already be great to retire where I am, but its pricey and getting worse yearly.)

Went with the theme that people wouldn't mind retiring to Mediterranean type climates, wherever they might be found (Laguna Beach, for example).

Estonians are lovely but their country is cold  >:(
I do like those Northern European Springs.  Endless beautiful evenings.

I saw a documentary about northern cities in Europe, Hammerfest Finland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJV8dlRJCIU
Fascinating!
And Yakutsk in Russia

An Arte series called "Extreme Cities"
http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Extreme_Cities

One winter in Montreal was enough for me!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »
Its a good way to deal with it , playful anxiety confrontation reduction,

I know there is not one place that covers my wants /enjoyments . So I winter and summer, Urban /rural . I fully hope to slip away to death in transit somewhere .

Offline mecch

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »
I'm in my 50s - envying George Clooney who finds this vivacious intelligent caviar gauche Lebanese bombshell of a partner and can retire (to maybe mature fatherhood?) in Beirut, Como, London and L.A.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »
From the moment he shuffled on to Rossanne I sensed that Mr George was put on this Earth is make me realize just how completely average I am. By the time he was working with the Cohen Broths , I just thought whats the point.

Part off his retirement will include Italy and he will not realize that they have traffic jams.

She is a beut , the little black dress was made for her.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »
You guys are making me look like a slacker because I will most likely retire by sitting on the porch and sipping iced tea . I have grown fond of my recliner too though .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »
Jeff ,I have retired its just I am still hopeful and do like to dream that not all months will be like this one. You are not a slacker in my mind , though a daily walk would not go amiss.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
Jeff ,I have retired its just I am still hopeful and do like to dream that not all months will be like this one. You are not a slacker in my mind , though a daily walk would not go amiss.

I have been walking miles day just shopping here lately .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »
I have been walking miles day just shopping here lately .

Liar, you only walk from aisle 3 to aisle 12 at Walmart.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
Liar, you only walk from aisle 3 to aisle 12 at Walmart.

I have been gardening for many hours a day for weeks so I am getting my exercise ... so there .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2014, 10:03:50 pm »
I have been gardening for many hours a day for weeks so I am getting my exercise ... so there .

OK Granny, I expect some MAH.VAHL.LOUS pix where your manse resembles Mitchypoo's within the hour.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »
I will NOT be retiring in Richmond!  Had a SWAT team swoop in and surround our neighbor's house today.  Gun-toting men were all around the neighborhood -- including a few using the tree in my front yard as cover.

Not sure what went down, but they took the guy next door away in cuffs and searched his house and property for 4 hours todays.

M

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:12 am »
I realize I'm far from retirement, being 28 and all, but I think south Florida.  Brian will be able to retire at a fairly youngish age.  I think early 50's.  But, he has been saying he will get another teaching job (perhaps private school), after he retires.  The question will be whether to make a total move or be a snowbird.  His parents are snowbirds.  They leave right after Christmas and return just before Derby.  But, they have all four kids here, several grandkids, and now great-grandkids.  They have something in which to return.  They have a circle of friends here and there.

His mom's twin sister and other sister are snowbirds in the same neighborhood.  That seems like an ideal situation, to me.  They get to spend time together that they don't the rest of the year, because her sisters live in Michigan.  I have my issues with my brother, but it would be nice to retire in the same town with him and his partner.  Brian's parents live in Englewood, FL, which is in between Tampa and Ft Myers.  It has a nice beach and some of the best sunsets I've seen.  However, it is a very sleepy town.  While I don't see myself hitting the clubs, I would want to be someplace where there were things happening.  Perhaps south Florida will have another housing crisis by then and homes/condos will be cheaper.   

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2014, 09:13:51 am »
OK Granny, I expect some MAH.VAHL.LOUS pix where your manse resembles Mitchypoo's within the hour.

I have been sending pics to Mitch and Ann and Theyer ... They have been very encouraging and not one time have they tried to change the conversation by bringing up ramps or suggesting I plant my garden in Philadelphia ... so there .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2014, 10:51:25 am »
I realize I'm far from retirement, being 28 and all,   

*cough*  ???

Offline Theyer

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2014, 12:10:00 pm »
I have been sending pics to Mitch and Ann and Theyer ... They have been very encouraging and not one time have they tried to change the conversation by bringing up ramps or suggesting I plant my garden in Philadelphia ... so there .

Tis all true , activity abounds,it will be a Garden that gets noticed, in 3 years time the I AM GAY notice will be completely redundant.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »
I have been sending pics to Mitch and Ann and Theyer ...

Oh the infidelity! I'm going to have to go lie down in a darkened room with a cool damp cloth over my eyes and forehead now. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »

Lordy -- folks don't have gardens in Philly. We pave our small 6'x10' back lots over with concrete and make a patio.

We have community gardens (socialism!) and municipal parks (high taxes!) for our trees and flowers.

ps: obviously you still haven't figured out how to post an image using photobucket

Offline elf

« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2014, 10:20:40 pm »
Go to Thailand.  ;D

Offline zach

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2014, 11:37:37 am »
marble, nc. just south of the smokes

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
OK fine -- I am going to retire to Skútustaðahreppur, Ísland (Iceland) on the shores of Lake Mývatn. Or maybe Akureyri which is close by but more cosmopolitan with ~18,000 population, plus quick flights to Reykjavík.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2014, 02:42:36 pm »
MissP ---please do and can I visit , the food will be a bit off a challenge but I do like the idea off living somewhere where you have to get clearance that your new building with not disturb the Fairy,s . So respectful and barking mad and its not often you get the two together. Plus I really like Arnaldur Indriòason and Yrsa Siguròardóttir book,s .

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:42 pm »
the food will be a bit off a challenge

You'll eat a lot of lamb and fish, that's about it.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2014, 06:46:00 pm »
You'll eat a lot of lamb and fish, that's about it.

That's fine when its said like that , but its the cuts and pickling that is popular , I find sheep's eye off putting and as to eating it,lets not revisit my Lebanese lovers family dinners and the dares, comments about my manhood and his Uncles relish at eating them with horrible loud squelching and slurping . shudder.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »
That's fine when its said like that , but its the cuts and pickling that is popular , I find sheep's eye off putting and as to eating it,lets not revisit my Lebanese lovers family dinners and the dares, comments about my manhood and his Uncles relish at eating them with horrible loud squelching and slurping . shudder.

Just refrain at all times from eating Hákarl when offered to you -- it's basically spoiled, putrified shark meat. Worst tasting food in the entire world.

And yes, I sampled one bite and spit it out. And I never have done that with weird food overseas.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
What happened to this thread? lol. I guess I'm on my own.  ::)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.