Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:16:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 241
Total: 242

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and Autoimmunity  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
HIV and Autoimmunity
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »
HIV is and isn't my problem. It isn't my problem in that since initiating HAART when it first came out my “plasma,” viral load has been well controlled, falling below detection in 98 or 99.  HIV is my problem in that it has resulted in debilitating autoimmune diseases including, but not limited to, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, hyperthyroidism, pretibial myxedema (vasculitis), Graves disease, inflammatory arthritis, motor neuron disease and rheumatic polymyalgia. Throw in large granular lymphocytic leukemia a window-maker/CABG, splenectomy, herpes encephalitis, mini strokes a DVT and you should get the point. My question is how many more of you out there experience something similar.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline Common_ground

Re: HIV and Autoimmunity
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:08:42 am »
Hi Mishma

I havent experienced what you are going through but I would like to ask.

When did these diseases occur and what correlation to the meds and/or HIV itself have you find?

What do the doctors say?

2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:07:55 am »
Hi Mishma,
i've had the neuron issue in the form of neuropathy, so i can relate in that aspect.  HIV isn't much the problem anymore as much as the side effects of the medication that helps it
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »
All the problems started in the year 2000. On 9/11 I was going into the ICU for the ITP. It's been downhill since then, however I get breaks between diagnoses. Whereas side effects are at times implicated in some of these conditions (Abacavir hypersensitivity) a better explanations is autoimmunity by what is called mollecular mimicry.If it was the drugs more of us would be having these problesm. Below a review on it.

Autoimmun Rev. 2002 Dec;1(6):329-37.
HIV and autoimmunity.
Zandman-Goddard G, Shoenfeld Y.
Source
Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Department of Medicine 'B', Sheba Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Hashomer 52621, Israel.

Abstract
The association of immune dysfunction in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and AIDS and the development of autoimmune diseases is intriguing. Yet, the spectrum of reported autoimmune phenomena in these patients is increasing. An infectious trigger for immune activation is one of the postulated mechanisms and derives from molecular mimicry. During frank loss of immunocompetence, autoimmune diseases that are predominantly T cell subtype CD8 driven predominate. There is evidence for B cell stimulation and many autoantibodies are reported in HIV patients. We propose a staging of autoimmune manifestations related to HIV/AIDS manifestations and the total CD4 count and viral load that may be beneficial in identifying the type of autoimmune disease and establishing the proper therapy. In stage I there is the acute HIV infection, and the immune system is intact. In this stage, autoimmune diseases may develop. Stage II describes the quiescent period without overt manifestations of AIDS. However, there is a declining CD4 count indicative of some immunosuppression. Autoimmune diseases are not found. During stage III there is immunosuppression with a low CD4 count and the development of AIDS. CD8 T cells predominant and diseases such as psoriasis and diffuse immune lymphocytic syndrome (similar to Sjogren's syndrome) may present or even be the initial manifestation of AIDS. Also during this stage no autoimmune diseases are found. In stage IV there is restoration of immune competence following highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). In this setting, there is a resurgence of autoimmune diseases. The frequency of reported rheumatological syndromes in HIV-infected patients ranges from 1 to 60%. The list of reported autoimmune diseases in HIV/AIDS include systemic lupus erythematosus, anti-phospholipid syndrome, vasculitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, polymyosits, Graves' disease, and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Also, there is an array of autoantibodies reported in HIV/AIDS patients which include anti-cardiolipin, anti-beta2 GPI, anti-DNA, anti-small nuclear ribonucleoproteins (snRNP), anti-thyroglobulin, anti-thyroid peroxidase, anti-myosin, and anti-erythropoietin antibodies. The association of autoantibodies in HIV-infected patients to clinical autoimmune disease is yet to be established. With the upsurge of HAART, the incidence of autoimmune diseases in HIV-infected patients is increasing. In this review, we describe the various autoimmune diseases that develop in HIV/AIDS patients through possible mechanisms related to immune activation.

I had made the AIDS definition by CD4 count in 92 or 93 with a count of 80. My viral burden in my CNS 4 months ago was 12,400-this despite an undetectable burden in my plasma. As you can see from my signature despite having a normal but high CD4 my ratio of CD4/CD8s is 2--22%, indicative of an ongoing immunological response.

Search PUBMED http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ for additional research.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:37:23 pm by Mishma »
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:16:07 pm »
Mishma,

Sorry to hear about what you are going through with the auto-immunse diseases.

I hope your doctors can help and you get relief.

Take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »
Some substances with anti-HIV activity (like interleukin-2 and melatonin) have been linked to activation of autoimmune disorders. Substances that promote HIV-activity/replication (like interleukin-7) block autoimmune disorders.
So, it's a bit difficult to treat autoimmune disorders in HIV+ people.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:02:53 pm by elf »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.