Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:12:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 705
Total: 707

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving back to California with no job and no insurance  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Surfer

Moving back to California with no job and no insurance
« on: March 11, 2022, 05:20:00 pm »
Hello everyone,

Please help me with any information possible?

I’m currently living overseas and need to move back to California this fall.I habve been stressed out thinking about where I will be able to find my hiv medication. Any suggestions?

I won’t have a job and will be taking care of my parents as the are old.
They live in a nice part of town so am also worried with their address I might not be able to get free or very low cost medicine. Does anyone know of where you can get medicine in Tijuana Mexico and just do border runs?

I have been looking at the prices of hiv medicine and wonder how anyone without insurance can be able to get the medications without hassling as I’m uninsured with no savings and haven’t lived in the area for 25 plus years now and am 58 years old.

Can anyone help with suggestions as I’m very concerned.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Moving back to California with no job and no insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:22:54 pm »
check with the county and/or state health departments for a local HIV provider who works with the Ryan White Program. This program that helps provide HIV care and medications to people living with HIV
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Expat1

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 06:56:03 am »
Dont worry, when you get here contact the Ryan WHite Aids Service organization for your area.  Sign up for ADAP and they will help you get meds and any other social services that you may need. 

Set everything up as you living as a separate household from your parents.  The level of income for help is around $64000 for one person for ADAP meds.  Lower for some of the other programs.

There is a program that pays for health insurance premiums.

Again the contact point is a caseworker with and aids service organization and the California Department of Public Health.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 07:00:28 am »
OF note the meds are free after all the insurance and copays etc.   Just show asap when you get back. 

Getting the meds in Mexico is not really an option as they have dedicated clinics that operate under the Mexican Social Security System for hiv meds.  Pharmacies don't have the meds in stock.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.