Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling so guilty  (Read 4808 times)

Offline xrel0aded

Feeling so guilty
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:35 am »
Hey everyone. I just wanted to post here in hopes that it would relieve some stress I've been having. My close friend moved to a different state a few months back and has been back for the past three weeks visiting. Ever since we met we had a very flirtatious relationship. He's been at my house for the majority of the time he's been here. My friends and I are young and wild and known to over indulge in tequila and vodka..I mean at least it's not anything else. Anyway only a very few select people know I'm poz and he is not one of them. Three weeks ago we got incredibly drunk and had sex, and then it happened again, and again, a total of maybe 4 times. We have used a condom each and every time we've had sex besides a few years ago when we randomly hooked up (while I was still neg). Although I know there is virtually no risk involved when condoms are in the mix I just can't help but feel this extreme guilt and worry for him and i don't seem to have the balls to tell him because I'm certain he will never speak to me again. I'm not necessarily asking for advice but I just wanted to put this out there so I could stop thinking about it every time I'm trying to sleep. Is that selfish of me?

Offline zach

Re: Feeling so guilty
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:24:58 am »
views and opinions are widely mixed on nondisclosure in a sexual relationship, lot of irrational emotions and judgements

one thing you may want to carefully consider, in some states, you have just admitted to a felony. there is a whole section of the lessons above that deals with criminalization, button

you are UD, and the sex was protected. as far as the virus, you have nothing to feel guilty of, no worries

the lack of open honesty before an intimate act, not my place to judge, but you're feeling that guilt for a reason, you've already judged yourself

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »
Have you considered that your feelings for this man have evolved beyond drunken sheet crumbling and therefore your lack off disclosure is hurting what you want ?

Courage my friend what ever the outcome summoning up courage , feels better in the long run
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »
you are UD, and the sex was protected.
ummm, is the OP UD?

i was poking through your posting history, xrel0aded, and saw that you referred to yourself as "treatment naive" back in dec 2013 and that you have been taking supplements. Have you gone onto meds yet?

While condom usage is very effective against HIV transmission, being UD and using condoms has the nil transmission rate track record.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline vertigo

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:54:58 pm »
If you are in the habit of not disclosing before sex, and yet are also not on treatment, then maybe you should resolve to change at least one of those factors.

My suggestion would be to start on meds.  UD guys are not infectious.  And educated neggies are way more likely to fool around with UD poz guys than those who are not.  So by attaining UD status, not only are you not a transmission risk, but disclosure is likely to go a lot better, too.

As it stands, given the moderate viral loads you last referenced, right now you could pass your virus along if you're not careful.  Now that would cause some guilt.

Also, news travels fast and people gossip.  Your HIV status may not be as closely held as you think.

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »
ummm, is the OP UD?

mea culpa, i assumed.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:01:27 am »
If you are in the habit of not disclosing before sex, and yet are also not on treatment, then maybe you should resolve to change at least one of those factors.

My suggestion would be to start on meds.  UD guys are not infectious.  And educated neggies are way more likely to fool around with UD poz guys than those who are not.  So by attaining UD status, not only are you not a transmission risk, but disclosure is likely to go a lot better, too.

As it stands, given the moderate viral loads you last referenced, right now you could pass your virus along if you're not careful.  Now that would cause some guilt.

Also, news travels fast and people gossip.  Your HIV status may not be as closely held as you think.

I was just reading this article, which says while rare, UD does not mean absolutely no risk.  Extremely rare, but thought good to not put out there UD means zero risk.

http://www.poz.com/articles/transmission_risk_761_25675.shtml

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »
I was just reading this article, which says while rare, UD does not mean absolutely no risk.  Extremely rare, but thought good to not put out there UD means zero risk.

http://www.poz.com/articles/transmission_risk_761_25675.shtml

Thank you , I do not know when extremely rare became zero ,I am assuming its all part off the ,in my view, over optimistic reaction to the wonderful advances there has been for many.

But the lack off prevention education drives me mad . How we on the one hand get people to test and on the other remain completely honest about a life being HIV+ , seems to be beyond our abilities at the moment.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline vertigo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
Ted & Theyer, good points.  But many doctors are looking at the PARTNER study as being pretty conclusive that UD means non-infectious.  Of course, it's hard for science to prove that something will never happen.  And would I top my bf without a condom?  No.  Even though I have perfect med adherence and my doc said there is no risk.  It still feels wrong.  But the science is very strong in favor of treatment as prevention.  It's not over-optimism.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »
Ted & Theyer, good points.  But many doctors are looking at the PARTNER study as being pretty conclusive that UD means non-infectious.  Of course, it's hard for science to prove that something will never happen.  And would I top my bf without a condom?  No.  Even though I have perfect med adherence and my doc said there is no risk.  It still feels wrong.  But the science is very strong in favor of treatment as prevention.  It's not over-optimism.

Undetectable means noninfectious but it all changes when you throw the word if in front of undetectable . Im undetectable but have had many many blips along the way where I was not so I think If I was undettetable then I was not infectious during that period .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.