Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Ant

Fatigue
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:38:30 am »
Hi People

I have been poz for over 13 years now and am finding fatigue a problem, I know a lot of people think this is related to depression but I am definitely not depressed nor have ever suffered from depression. It has become so bad at times that all my physical reserve has gone into holding down my job and paying the mortgage with little energy to do much else.

Just wondered what other peoples experience of this is? I have changed my meds but still get tired after a busy day, more so than other people that are not poz who keep telling me that it is normal to feel tired after a busy day. This tiredness is different it is kind of overwhelming and however much I fight it I still need to sleep.
'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.' Soren Kierkegaard

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:48:07 am »
Hi Ant,

Welcome to the forums.

I won't delve into an inquisition here as you obviously, after 13 years, must have much of the knowledge that I do. 

I would suggest: 

Getting a full 8 hours sleep
Consuming loads of animal protein
Drinking one gallon of water a day
Adding Alpha Lipoic Acid to your routine
Taking a multivitamin
If possible, increase your exercise, but this is sometimes just no possible.

Unfortunately, there is no LONG list of things that will help, but I have found these to be of some help.  I know the utter fatigue that you are experiencing and it is dasterdly at best, and completely overwhelming at the least.  Oh how I wish that studies were to take place with long term survivors, but alas the country and medical community has closed the book on us because if you had not heard, HIV is now a minimalist manageable disease.  I heard it on CNN!

Unfortunate isn't it?

I wish I could help, but I am in the same boat, along with loads of members of this very forum.  Energy is one of our most valuable things, but also one of the most rare.

Love, and Peace.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline living+inVa

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:50:40 am »
Fatigue,

I have been + for 6 years, on meds for 2.  I am currently on Sustiva, and I find that often times I am so tired, it's hard for me to get out of bed.  I have to wake up early in the mornings for work, get ready, go to work, come home, cook for my husband, do homework, clean and then go to bed.  Sometimes it's just too much for me.  I go to bed the moment I walk in the door and don't get out until the next morning.  It's hard for my husband to understand, and he sometimes comments that I'm just feeling lazy.  I explain that if that were the case, I wouldn't be so exhausted all the time.  It is hard to go about your life as a healthy person, but no matter how much we convince ourselves we are healthy, we are not.  We have a virus that our body is fighting everyday, and it takes a toll on our physical, and sometimes emotional beings.  

My advice is to go easy on yourself.  Understanding what your body is telling you is the main goal.  We must be more atuned to what our bodies are telling us then the average Joe.  When you feel tired, rest, when you are feeling rested, get things done.  I have learned one very important lesson in my battle with AIDS....do not put anything off when you are feeling well enough to do it.  If you do, then the following day you may not feel as strong or energized and it make s the task that much more difficult.  

Fatigue, you are normal.  What you are feeling is normal, but please take care of yourself.  Don't get yourself sicker by trying to keep up with the pace of life you were used to.  

You'll be in my thoughts.

Va ;D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:04:19 am »
Just want to bring this earlier thread to your attention:

"Why am I so tired?"
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=474.0

It mentions different things like testosterone, anemia, hormones. Reply #43 links to an interesting article. My fatigue got ultra bad when I had a high VL and 42 CD4. Back then I was so weak I couldn't even lift a spoon to my mouth. When I was HIV negative my energy was superb. I worked 40 hours a week and partied on Friday & Saturday nights. Now my energy is inconsistent but closer to normal because of HAART

Y'know, I'd ask you to share what your doctor said to you about all this, but I'm afraid of hearing the same-old-same-old  :-\ (Doctors don't know everything, sadly)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:16:23 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:26:22 pm »
Hello,

Well, If I said that I didn't deal at times with fatigue, I would be lieing. I still work fulltime, and am getting close to being 22 years of being HIV positive. I imagine it could be a hell of a lot worse, taking all into consideration.

To me, it seems to come in cycles. It seems like every three weeks or so, I go through a period, where the fatigue is a little more then the normal. This will last for a few days... but I manage through it somehow. I will increase the sleep a couple more hours if need be.

I work the 11:00pm to 7:00 am shift, so that in itself has it's drawbacks. I spend my first day off from work , sleeping, and napping at various times of the day, recovering from the work week.  I just try to make sure that I get that 8 hours of sleep a day. I am usually good at getting it. Just try to eat nutritiously, do the right things for your body. But,  I would also bring this to the attention of your doctor, if things are getting difficult.

There is this lesson from the site, that you may find helpful :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Fatigue_7533.shtml

Take care of youself---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ant

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:05:46 am »
Cheers folks for replying to my posting. It is interesting to see how fatigue affects other people especially in relation to work and managing it.

Moffie's posting about HIV being a 'minimal manageable disease' CNN does sometimes make me feel that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill (Do you have that Colloquialism in the States?). So it was good to share views on this.

Quite often people I know well think and attribute symptoms of mine to anything but HIV. I think this is because after many years of me living a normal life and staying relatively well they start to think like the CNN report 'oh he's fit as a fiddle the drugs make everything alright', but as I keep reminding my friends there is a continuum of symptoms good and bad but don't forget the people inbetween either.

Thanks Again!
'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.' Soren Kierkegaard

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 02:29:29 am »
Hi Ant,  I just wrote this in another thread as well, but about a year ago I went through a terrible time af fatigue.  It turns out that my testosterone was too low.  It went away when I started andro-gel. 

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:07:16 am »
Yawn..........      Stretch.......  Welcome Ant to AM...  Mind over matter??  I wish that was the case in our case....  ;)

Offline david3012

• Scots guy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:28 am »
Hi. Ive been poz 17 yrs and can definately understand where you are coming from.

Im taking Kaletra and Trizivir but to dont really think its the particular drugs that cause the problem. My guess is its just HAART in general plus my body fighting HIV every day.

Somedays I feel just a little tired - other I can hardly think for being so fatigued - at times it just washes over me totally unexpectedly.

My doc has run all the tests - I eat well, multi vits etc - stable cd4+ undetectable VL - who know - Ive just resigned myself to it now.

Im working full time and and doing everything I can to get my mortgage paid off within the next few years so that I can cut back if needed and have some more rest time.

Take care

David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.