Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:47:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 558
Total: 560

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am not undectable  (Read 4447 times)

Dan J.

I am not undectable
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:39:41 pm »
I had my hiv doc do the more sensitive viral load blood test on 1-11-07. My viral load is 786. Not too bad, but I was expecting something better than those numbers. The good news is my cholesteral is down. Next appointment he will do another viral load.

There was a time when news like this would make me "flip out" but now I know it isn't the end of the world & that as long as keep poppin' those pills the numbers will improve. Having Hermie in my life has balanced things out for me. He helps me see things in a different way than I did before & helps me look for solutions instead of focusing on the negative shit that gets thrown my way. When I joined this forum way back in 03 in never expected to find the man of my dreams on these pages. Aidsmeds has given me so much & for that I am truly thankful.

Dan
(who will be undetectable very soon)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:18:23 am by Dan J. »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
Re: I am not undectable
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:47:47 pm »
Dan, while I am sorry that you haven't gotten to undetectable, I am so glad that you posted what was going on with you and how you have been able to go from 'flipping out' to taking in stride.  A good point for anyone pacing his or her apartment or home, waiting for the call with his or her results.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:30:39 pm »
Dan your a very blessed man to have Hemie in your life...  I think we all learn a few things vicariously through your posts and that flipping out thing??  I aint there yet, but I am runnin to catch ya man...  And when i catch you....  (Fill in the blank)...

Love, and yeah, you will get there..

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:02 pm »
Dan,

Let me say that you bless me by being in my life.
There is a solution to every problem, BUT sometimes we tend to cover that solution with fear and anger, persisting that we can't find it.

I have seen the change in you. I can see the real Dan better now, with less anger and more acceptance.

You will get undetectable again Dan. Just be patient.
I need you here, and you deserve to find happiness. So, that is a deal right?

Hermie ;)
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:03:02 pm »
Indeed this site has its hidden values. Best wishes on your journey towards undetectable. The more positive, the less the negative.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:43 pm »
Dan,
It took me about 3 months to get undetectable.  But my CD4 % really jumped from just starting meds and my CD4s had an initial boost too.  The pill popping sure does the job as long as you are popping the right pills.  <smile>.  I know you will see a continued downward trend in the VL and an Up tick in the CD4...
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:30:30 pm »
Aww... you guys are sweet.  I am happy for you.

Dan, sorry u r not undectable, keep us posted.

Wishin' u the best,
Drew

Dan J.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:44:09 am »
I called one of the nurses at the clinic today to see if they could do a genotype on me since I'm detectable. She told me I had to be at 1,000 before that test could be done.  I am thinking about letting my VL rise a little more to have that test. Right now I take 4 500 mg Invirase &
4 200 mg/ 50mg Kaletra daily.  I was undetectable before this combo. Maybe I need a third drug. The genotype test will tell me what  I am resistant to. Do I have that info right?

Dan

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:59:13 am »
As usual, Dan, I don't keep good track of everyone's details, but as to the genotype question, yes, it will show you and your doctor which drugs you already show resistance to.  I think you are on two drugs instead of the usual three and I didn't see Norvir mentioned which is sometimes used to bump up effectiveness.  We will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to comment on your current meds.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:54:23 pm »
I think congratulations are in order.  You might have a small detectable viral load, but you are alive, living and loved.   

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Re: I am not undetectable
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 08:03:16 pm »
Dan:

Generally, the resistance test need about 1000 VL to be run accurately, however, it can be tried with a VL of at least 500, particularly the phenotype test.  If you remain detectable, the resistance test would be useful to figure out what's going on and if med changes are needed.  If you had previous resistance tests, it would help as well.  While adding another drug might be necessary to intensify, if I remember correctly, you were intolerant to several of the meds.  Perhaps you could give a brief history of the meds you've used and what happened?

Win:

Norvir is already incorporated in Kaletra so it does not need to be added extra when Kaletra is combined with Invirase.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 08:47:55 pm »

Dan,

Sorry to hear about you not being undetectable...  I think you have one of the best medications running through your veins right now and that's love..

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Dan J.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »
Thank You Thomas.

Dan

:-*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.