Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:34:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 498
Total: 500

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should we Adopt? Is it fair?  (Read 9690 times)

Offline Iwillliveon

Should we Adopt? Is it fair?
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:21:09 am »
Hello this is will,

My husband and I were in the process of adopting my niece's baby.  Too make a long story short I talked her out of aborting the child and told her we will raise the child as our own.  She is currently four month pregnant.  We are looking forward to being great parents.  With the news we received this week I'm not sure if it fair to raise a child in this situation.  We have planned this for years and feel we are ready to raise a healthy child.  I'm 46 and he's 53, we have loving home.   I have not told my family and I probably will at this time.  I don't want to hear any negative comments of what they think.  I know life will continue, the difference is, I'm HIV+.  As I continue to read post that our so inspirational  I know it is a chronic disease that needs attention.  We were married in Calif.  on November 03, 2008, the last day before prop 8 passed.  It was great day I only had my mom and my sister there for the celebration.  I'm in process changing medical plans.  I know I can't mention my status to the new plan or I may not be covered.  I know I'm rambling all over, not sure what to focus on.  Today is Sunday, my husband mentioned that on Saturday I was yelling in my sleep I have no idea what I was dreaming about.  I know it has to do with what I'm thinking.  I guess the botton line is should we continue our future with a child? 

Thanks Will

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Should we Adopt? Is it fair?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:41:01 am »
If any official medical document with your name on it and your HIV+ status, and a date, might find a way into an insurance company that you go with now - depending on the state - they can cancel your benefits and/or take away the policy.  If it was completely anonymous you might be able to pull it off with a subsequent official test but it better not be clear that you have been infected for years if that is the case.

Why don't you put your energy into founding your family and not worry so much for the moment about the HIV. Put the medical and treatment aspect of that in doctors hands and just live you life as planned.

However, if you have no health insurance, than I do think HIV could be especially worrisome and you might have to concentrate a lot of securing your future health.

That said, if your niece is counting on you, then just go through with the plan in any circumstances.  
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:24:55 pm »
Regarding the medical plans, is it through a group? Have you had uninterrupted coverage for a period of time? You cannot be denied coverage if you have had uninterrupted medical coverage for a period of time (I forget the period, I think it's 18 months).

What are the specifics of your insurance situation? If you can be more specific, you can be given the right advice. Merely changing plans is not necessarily a problem and you must not lie about anything because that can be a problem if they find out.

As far as adopting, there are many people who have HIV who are raising children. Just having HIV in an of itself should not be the deciding factor.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »
Hi Will

In the end, only you and your husband can answer that question. 

But...

Getting an HIV diagnosis is a major event, and it takes people a while to adjust.  And, of course, with all the mental baggage that surrounds the history of HIV and AIDS we all feel that time is short and we have to make major changes RIGHT NOW!

Things are different now. 

You've not even been diagnosed a week.  It's hard, but I'd encourage you not to make major changes in your life plans for the next few weeks.  Spend some time learning more about the disease and a lot more about your own current health and treatment options.   Find a knowledgeable doctor and talk to him/her.  Don't make irrevocable decisions while everything is still in a whirl...

Sincerely
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »
Iwill, if you'd had any other medical diagnosis other than HIV would you be reconsidering adoption?  Adults with health issues adopt all of the time, as well as raise children of their own.

Otherwise, only you know yourself well enough to make the assessment of whether you are mentally capable of going ahead with this, but physically I see no reason not to.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Iwillliveon

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »
I appreciate the advice guys.  I'm sure we will make the best decision.  I will not be able to see a doctor until March 11, 2010.  This is the time when the medical plans will be finalized.  I have a group plan through the county I work for.  I find this plan is better than Blue Shield HMO.  Today we are reviewing adoption paperwork and continuing to make the decision to bring a child in our life. 

Thanks Again,
Will

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »
With all due respect, I personally think your HIV status to be less of something to worry about than the fact that you are adopting a baby when you are 46 and your husband is 53.  I agree with Miss P and others that being HIV+ doesn't mean you're physically unable to raise this child.  But keep in mind that you'll be 60 when your child is a feisty 14 year old.  But it definitely sounds like you and your husband have a loving home for this baby and could make great parents.  I wish you all the best  :)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »
I totally agree with GNYC09 and with all due respect, too.  Get educated, on all fronts you're unclear on and understand that a kid will totally run your ass off, run your life, but will also give you the most enlightenment you've ever had.  Know what your state's requirements will be for the adoption process. The cool part is the kid's not poz (I'm assuming), so it's not like you have to worry about that component, too,  on top of your health and adjusting to parenthood. Don't throw a baby out before you've had a chance to run the bathwater. Just get all the facts lined up. I wish you the very best and hope you can do it!!!!

YOU are one of the reasons the baby is due in four months. So whether you pursue its parenting or line the baby up with someone else, you've got a vested interest in this child's future.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:14:29 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »
I wasn't aware that our opinions on the proper age (if there is one) for child rearing were requested.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
I think GNYC was simply noting the fact that 46 and a baby equals a 14 year old at age 60. It's easy to forget that in the early process and it is a very physically demanding job to be a parent, no matter the age of the child. The OP was pondering "is it fair" to adopt re: his new HIV dx and I think GNYC was suggesting he not let HIV be the only factor to consider. And that is fair, to one's self, one's partner and the child, to consider all aspects of parenting.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »
My best friend is 45 and had her first child two years ago.  She also owns two restaurants, one of which has only been open a year.  Admittedly she doesn't have HIV thrown in the mix, but even taking out one of her businesses to equalize for this she's doing just fine, and the child is well behaved.

I'm sure the OP and her husband fully considered their ages into the equation when initiating the discussion with her niece.  She also stated that her and her husband had planned this for years.  I'm confident that Iwill realizes that 46+14=60, just like if I decided to adopt a child I'd know that I'm doing it at the age of 45, much less that I don't possess a pair of breasts to produce milk.

The only thing that changed recently was an HIV diagnosis.  Unless they were diagnosed with AIDS as opposed to HIV I see no reason for them to change what they'd previously considered.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:37:12 pm »
"I'm sure the OP and her husband fully considered their ages into the equation when initiating the discussion with her niece. "

Not that it makes any difference at all, but I think the OP is a thoughtful guy named Will. Maybe not. And, I trust the OP will understand what everyone has written.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »
"I'm sure the OP and her husband fully considered their ages into the equation when initiating the discussion with her niece. "

Not that it makes any difference at all, but I think the OP is a thoughtful guy named Will. Maybe not. And, I trust the OP will understand what everyone has written.

My husband and I were in the process of adopting my niece's baby.  

I assumed the use of "Will" as a name came from the screen name "Iwillliveon" or "I Will Live On" -- but if it's two men you're correct that it's irrelevant.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:53:29 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »
Dunno. So, hopefully Will will have the will to post again.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »
  We were married in Calif.  on November 03, 2008, the last day before prop 8 passed.  It was great day I only had my mom and my sister there for the celebration. 

I think it's safe to assume that Will and his partner/husband are both men.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:51:55 am »

Yes, otherwise the fact that they were married in California the day before prop 8 passed would be irrelevant.

Will, I see no reason why you shouldn't carry on with the adoption. As long as you can provide a loving home, nothing else matters. So what if you'll be 60 when the child is a teenager - you won't be the first sixty-year-old to raise a teen and you certainly won't be the last. And so what if you're hiv positive. I was diagnosed when my daughter was 13 and it's not made a bit of difference. No, actually, it probably made us closer. You'll do just fine as long as love is the main ingredient.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:22 am »

I missed the Prop 8 part -- thanks.

But like I attempted to state, we were only asked our advice on the adoption of a child when one parent has an HIV diagnosis.  The age, gender and sexuality here is irrelevant.

I think it's great what Will is doing and wish him and his partner the very best future with their new child.

Offline Iwillliveon

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »
As I read your replies, a tear falls.  I appreciate the advice.  All I can say is, Thank You.  I don't believe age matters when raising a child.  What's important is Love, Time, Consistency, Support and sometimes Silence of watching your child grow.

Thanks Again,
Will

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 10:49:22 pm »

and sometimes Silence of watching your child grow.

Oh man, you ain't kidding! If you already know in advance that sometimes you just gotta keep your trap shut, then you don't need our advice. Please do keep us posted. It will be lovely to hear about when you take your new child home.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:32 am »
heh heh yep and sometimes just a slice of silence for yourself! you'll appreciate those moments when you watch a favorite tv show, or do something with a friend, in ways you never thought possible.

I think it's quite clear from everything most of us have written, you should go and do---and be prepared to have one of the finest adventures in life---putting someone else's needs far ahead of yours and receiving the joy and education that brings.

I think this level of love is good for the immune system, but heck, they haven't done a study on it, so I can't cite anything. But, it is.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:14:16 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 01:54:47 pm »
It sounds to me as if the baby you are planning to adopt will be coming into a wonderful and loving home.

If you have any concerns about health insurance coverage I suggest you get in touch with an AIDS service organization for information and/or to be directed to a proper source of information.

Parenting is the most challenging and the most rewarding job. That little booger is going to be a lot of work but it's worth it. You two will support each other when you need it -- and you will need it.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.