Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:20:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should we cancel London AMG?  (Read 11577 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Should we cancel London AMG?
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:19 am »
It appears that there is no commitment (Hermie apart) from anyone to attend this year’s official AMG in London. It has been nearly 3 weeks since information about hotels was posted and there have so far been no confirmed room bookings.

Given that the proposed dates are now less than 3 months away the organising committee met today and feels that realistically the prospect of co-ordinating events and making this work are lessening by the day. As we are all working full-time we feel that leaving everything to the last minute is just not an option.

We believe we have given ample opportunity for members to have confirmed their attendance and yet we still have only one definite attendee.

Therefore we are proposing that the official AMG 2010 should be cancelled.

We appreciate the initial support for another European AMG and we hope that one may occur again in the future.

London Organising Committee

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Should we cancel London AMG?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:36 am »
Ooops, I thought I confirmed?

I haven't a clue where to stay. I don't know London at all, really. I haven't booked flights or anything yet - I won't have the money for a few more weeks.

I'll be really disappointed if this gets cancelled. I can't afford Vegas.

I asked some questions via PM a while back about what's going on regarding the Grants Committee, but never got a reply. I think I sent the PM to Cliff. Any info on this?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dennis

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:17 am »
Although I won't be attending, I would hate to see AMG canceled this year due to lack of attendance. Nothing is stated that an AMG has to be comprised of a certain amount of people or planned events. If AMG consists of only Ann and Hermie, that's reason enough to follow through with AMG.

With that said, I do have a few suggestions. First, unsticky all the threads and have ONE thread with all the needed information (i.e. dates, hotel information, ect.). 3 out 4 threads haven't been posted in since November/December and information tends to get lost. I suggested this to the moderators sometime ago, but my request went unanswered. Perhaps I was unclear in my reasoning for this request.

Second, post something in the off topic forum. Not everyone visits the this section of the forums and may not be aware of such gathering or may have slipped their mind.

Third, choose one hotel. Even if there is no group rate, most people would want to be in a central location.

Finally, send a pm to those who voted for London as a reminder.

As always, let me know if I can be of any help.

Dennis

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
Ann- Yes, you sent me a note about the Grants Committee.  However, we needed to gauge attendance before starting to raise funds for the event.  Despite repeated attempts to get people to reconfirm their attendance, hardly anyone committed publicly (Herman being the only one, as far as I can tell).  I believe one of the organisers also sent private messages to people who voted for London with limited response.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:28:33 am by Cliff »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

First, unsticky all the threads and have ONE thread with all the needed information (i.e. dates, hotel information, ect.). 3 out 4 threads haven't been posted in since November/December and information tends to get lost. I suggested this to the moderators sometime ago, but my request went unanswered. Perhaps I was unclear in my reasoning for this request.

I thought you just wanted most of the London treads unstickied.

As soon as the AMG Coodinators post one thread with all the info in it, I'll unsticky the others and sticky the new thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:31:41 am »
Ooops, I thought I confirmed?

Me too. I'm just waiting for a hotel to be selected as the main venue, then I'll book. Would be sad if there were only a few of us, and even those few were spread out across Greater London.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »
I am working that Friday, a new class assigned to me last week. Yes friday evening, working - its a night class for working people!! 
I'll check this coming Friday to see if I can move the class earlier, and then get back to this thread with commitment.
Also - is it recommended or necessary to stay in the hotel together?  Cause I have friends in London to stay with?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leese43

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
I would like to join you at least some of the time. I was just waiting to see the arrangements on here as I live in London so wont need accomodation. :)
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »
Hi everyone

I'm with Dennis on this one and would hate to see the AMG cancelled.

I saw the thread where Cliff suggested a few hotels, I suggested the Alhambra because I had stayed there a couple of times over the years, it's a nice hotel and very central.

Maybe someone just needs to say "this is the Hotel, this is when we are going start booking your reservation's"  and just go for it...I'm sure we have quite a few members living in or around the London area who can meet up and have agreat time..for some it would only be a train ride away..except for Ann of course who needs to get her wings on.. ;)

I hope you will all rally together now and get this years AMG going.

It's the wrong time of the year for me because of exams, otherwise I would have organised my UK trip around the AMG...I will be in Scotland in August to see my family.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
I voted for July or August.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »
I have my ticket booked... so, just waiting roa any hotel to be selected.
Would be nice if we could stay together.
If not I will book this B&B.

xx hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »
Hermie, I'm also waiting for the hotel to be chosen. Let me know if you book in the B&B.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:06:40 pm »
Will be staying at the Mayfair, Stratton Street.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:12:41 am »
What is the price  for a single per night?

xx hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Jody

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »
Hermie...I will PM you to discuss a share of a room, I should be able to book shortly.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline komnaes

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 12:45:22 pm »
A somewhat unhelpful post .. I still plan to go but cannot confirm yet as I don't know my schedule yet. As replied earlier to the coordinator I will book my own accommodation if I manage.

Fingers crossed... really really wish I could make it!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:16 pm »
Will be staying at the Mayfair, Stratton Street.

omg... did I write this?  it was a joke.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline netta

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »
I wish I could afford to go, but hate to see you all cancel.
"to thine own self be true"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.