Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: oxandrolone and Lipo?  (Read 16849 times)

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
oxandrolone and Lipo?
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:03:53 pm »
Do You all think a small dose of oxandrolone would keep the muscle mass up so we were less likely to get wasting or lipo?
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: oxandrolone and Lipo?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:05 pm »
Lipo and wasting are two entirely separate medical issues.  Oxandrolone will help in the event of wasting, but not with lipo.  That said, in my experience, in cases of a sharp reduction in weight (wasting), injectable nandrolone (deca-durabolin) will provide the quickest correction over something taken orally like Oxandrolone.  At any rate I'm not sure I can see any doctor prescribing something like Oxandrolone as a "preventive" measure for something you've not even been diagnosed with already.

One can have lipoatrophy with no change in weight -- your body is processing fat distribution in an abnormal manner, so where it may disappear from your face that fat may become buried in your gut.  I have grade 2-3 lipo yet I am still at my optimal weight before I even encountered any of these ghastly medical issues.

I've also experienced wasting and lipo concurrently at times, but what I lost from wasting I gained back, but it won't return to my face and buttcheeks where lipo has hit me from HIV meds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:20:32 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RWR

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:48:04 pm »
Thank You
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »
Hey:
I have been taking Oxandralone but it was prescribed for a weight loss that occured after an intestinal infection acquired during a hospital stay for minor surgery.  Within 2 months I gained 25 pounds, it gave me energy and made me ravenous.  I take 10mg/day.  I also had my doc prescribe Testosterone to prevent further wasting and help me regain muscle mass.  My Testosterone level was low normal but she had no problem prescribing it considering the weight loss and a decrease in libido.  Finding a health care provider that is certified in Infectious Disease treatment and has an open mind and is willing to listen to you and try non traditional but safe treatment is sometimes difficult.  I worked as a registered nurse for 20 years and always research treatments and what I am going to request from her before the visit which is easy now with the internet and sites like poz.com, the body positive and other sites that have a good history and have been around since the beginning of the virus. 
If you don't have wasting though there is no need to take something that adds stress to the liver just anticipating that you might get wasting syndrome.  Just eat well, exercise and take a multivitamin, and of course keep that viral load down.
Good luck
Ron
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:43:47 pm »
Hi:
If I had neither lipoatrophy or wasting I wouldn't risk taking an anabolic steroid.  They are metabolized by and stress the liver.  I have been diagnosed with both, Oxandralone is great for body weight gain but my facial thinning required Sculptra filler treatment which worked well.  I am not a doctor but a nurse practitioner and work in an HIV clinic.  It might be hard to find a doc to prescribe an anabolic without any weight loss.  Also I was losing weight prior to my episode of GI infection and rapid weight loss.  I don't claim to know everything by far but if you're doing well and maintaining weight save your liver as the HIV meds are harsh enough on it. 
Good Luck and keep eating!  In the photo you look good, I hope you don't get either as many do not.
Ron
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline panda

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:25:25 am »
Hi , I am female and I am intresting about it ...can u please tell me more? I suffer from loss muscle mass loss of and weight as well , i filled a bit my butt etc but its cosmeticly issue and I must rebuild or at least get back some of what I lost... for how long u took it untill u startred to see some reasults ? on what condition were you before taking it? did you suffer of any side effects? what is the cost of it ?

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:14 am »
Hi:
I had been healthy and weight stable and then I got an intestinal infection in the hospital and the weight would never come back on....I lost 40 pounds and tried Testosterone and protein supplements, high calorie diet for a year and no weight.  Then I asked my doctor for Oxandralone after researching the different poz reference manuals online and talking to a few Infectious Disease and GI docs.  They said either try Human Growth Hormone (very expensive) or Oxandaralone.  My insurance company said to try Oxandralone pills first and if they did not work they would approve the HGH.  I take 5mg twice a day, not a big dose but an average dose.  I have Hep.C virus also so didn't want to over stress my liver.  Staying on the Testosterone and Protein supplement and high calorie diet I gained the 40 pounds back in 2 months.  Lean body tissue is what I gained, minimal fat.  I heard Megace is being used and works well in females because you gain  fat with Megace and lean muscle and with a female you have more body fat, typically, than a male.  I would talk about Oxandralone or Megace with your doc.  Oxandralone is inexpensive as it has been on the market for many years.  I don't know exact cost as insurance covers it but it is one of my least expensive meds.
Best of look!
Ron ;)

Offline panda

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »
Hi , Thaks , its the first time I hear about this product Megace , I dont know why my dr. didn't tell me about it... the question is, does it help also with mucsle loss ??Like oxandrolone suppose to ??

Offline RWR

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:31:02 pm »
Hi been a while since being here.  The Doctor told me not to take the oxandralone because they could not get my blood pressure down.  I am on bp meds and take testosterone patches now.  Weight is 176.  I had to give up sweets two years ago because everytime i ate them had to spend the day on the pot.
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline smichaelclark

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:53:23 pm »
Do You all think a small dose of oxandrolone would keep the muscle mass up so we were less likely to get wasting or lipo?

Oxandrolone for sure will help with weight loss.  I've been on it for years.  Also serostim injections work for alot of people for wasting if you can stand the side affects

Offline panda

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »
Does wasting is also lossing mussles ??? Will it help getting some volume to my leggs ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.