Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 06:49:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 162
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla ?  (Read 14835 times)

Offline bosco

Atripla ?
« on: February 19, 2008, 01:23:01 pm »
Let me first say, that I've read the info on Atripla, and I also understand side effects vary from person to person.
I'd like to hear from forum members who are using Atripla? I'd be interested in any wisdom , advice or tips they can give.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline jabez

Re: Atripla ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:49:14 am »
I would just say, "Follow the directions on the bottle."  During the first few weeks of therapy, I think it's pretty important to take Atripla on an empty stomach.  During those first few weeks, if I took the pill too SOON after eating, I felt pretty hungover the next morning.  If I waited way too LATE after eating before taking the pill, I found that I often had diarrhea the next morning.  I believe the bottle says, "Take 2-3 hours after eating", and that's probably good advice.  After a few weeks, you will probably be able to get more flexible with the 2-3 hour rule, without any negative consequences.

I started on September 20th, 2007.  I took off work the next day (a Friday), in case I got sick.  I didn't really get sick, though -- just very tired and weird-feeling, like I had been out drinking all night.  I believe that sensation lasted four or five days and then faded away.   I was able to function fine at work the next week, but I was glad that I started the treatment on a long weekend.  I've never missed a single day of work since I started the Atripla. 

I also remember breaking-out pretty badly on the 11th day of treatment.  I panicked over that little setback, but the rash went away after five or six days.   I treated the rash with Benadryl, and it all worked out fine. 

As you noted, everybody's different.  You could have no side effects at all.  Or you could be one of those folks who has to drop Atripla because it makes you feel too spaced-out.  You won't know till you try!

I wish you the best of luck. 

Jabez   
Sept 2007 -- CD4 = 68; VL = 469,000
Started Atripla Sept 21, 2007
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20
Feb 2014-CD4=450; VL=<20
Aug 2014-CD4=535; VL=<20
Feb 2015-CD4=535; VL=<20
Aug 2015-CD4=707; VL=<20

Offline keepingfaith

• Go Me!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:31:58 am »
I started Atripla last night. So far so good. I waited 2 1/2 hours after I at. The only thing was that in about an hour it felt like I was high as a kite. How long does that last?? I was just a little woozy this morning when I got up but I am at work functioning normally.

Offline bosco

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
I would just say, "Follow the directions on the bottle."  During the first few weeks of therapy, I think it's pretty important to take Atripla on an empty stomach.  During those first few weeks, if I took the pill too SOON after eating, I felt pretty hungover the next morning.  If I waited way too LATE after eating before taking the pill, I found that I often had diarrhea the next morning.  I believe the bottle says, "Take 2-3 hours after eating", and that's probably good advice.  After a few weeks, you will probably be able to get more flexible with the 2-3 hour rule, without any negative consequences.

I started on September 20th, 2007.  I took off work the next day (a Friday), in case I got sick.  I didn't really get sick, though -- just very tired and weird-feeling, like I had been out drinking all night.  I believe that sensation lasted four or five days and then faded away.   I was able to function fine at work the next week, but I was glad that I started the treatment on a long weekend.  I've never missed a single day of work since I started the Atripla. 

I also remember breaking-out pretty badly on the 11th day of treatment.  I panicked over that little setback, but the rash went away after five or six days.   I treated the rash with Benadryl, and it all worked out fine. 

As you noted, everybody's different.  You could have no side effects at all.  Or you could be one of those folks who has to drop Atripla because it makes you feel too spaced-out.  You won't know till you try!

I wish you the best of luck. 

Jabez   

Thanks for your thoughts about Atripla. I'll be starting Atripla at my next ID appointment in early March.  -C-
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline bosco

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »
I started Atripla last night. So far so good. I waited 2 1/2 hours after I at. The only thing was that in about an hour it felt like I was high as a kite. How long does that last?? I was just a little woozy this morning when I got up but I am at work functioning normally.

Keepfaith-
Best of luck with the Atripla...sounds like your off to a good start.
-C-
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:16:51 pm »
I started out on Atripla on the recommended nighttime dose.....1 hour before I went to bed...so maybe that helped me not notice any side effects...or should I say few side effects...The only problem with taking it at that time is it was affecting my sleep way too much....my doc told me there was no reason I couldnt take it in the day time if I wanted to....so I moved to taking it at 11am...I dont eat 2 hours prior or 2 hours after and I have been fine and I sleep much better without having to take sleeping pills...now I cant really feel any side effects at all...you are gonna hear a bunch of different stories though because each person is different...I hope things work out as well for you as they have for me...I do have to say I like taking it in the daytime a lot better though.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:34:09 pm »
I'm starting tonight, I'll let you know :)
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:47 pm »

Best of luck to you...keep us up to date...I am sure things will be fine.
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline bosco

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:52:47 am »

I'll be thinking about you Snow!
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline bosco

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:54:53 am »
I started out on Atripla on the recommended nighttime dose.....1 hour before I went to bed...so maybe that helped me not notice any side effects...or should I say few side effects...The only problem with taking it at that time is it was affecting my sleep way too much....my doc told me there was no reason I couldnt take it in the day time if I wanted to....so I moved to taking it at 11am...I dont eat 2 hours prior or 2 hours after and I have been fine and I sleep much better without having to take sleeping pills...now I cant really feel any side effects at all...you are gonna hear a bunch of different stories though because each person is different...I hope things work out as well for you as they have for me...I do have to say I like taking it in the daytime a lot better though.

Thanks for your input! I'll probably start off at night before bed and see what happens, and if I need to tweek the time I will. I also plan on taking the first days off work once I start Atripla.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:50:39 am »
Thanks, guys!

I think it went well. I feel good today.  My first thought when I woke up was that I didn't feel like I slept.  I think they named it Atripla because you feel like you take a -trip- TO-la- la land.  I had some very strange dreams.  My SO likes to sleep with the TV on and I had to have him turn it off because I tend to incorporate whatever is on into my dreams.  They calmed down a bit after that but not much.  I did a lot of flying last night, laughing, and thinking of people I haven't thought of in years.  This morning my energy is good so I can't complain.  My son didn't enjoy my rendition of Scooby- Doo, I love you at the top of my lungs but who would at 7:30 in the morning.
 I'm still my goofy self :) so far so good!
Hope everyone is well.

Snow

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »
lol...the dreams is one of the effects that I still have...and enjoy...thank god they are usually good or "trippy"....and its good to hear that you have made it through your first night....I waited a couple weeks until I moved to a daytime dose...It was just too hard for me to fall asleep.
Dec 2007 start Atripla

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:47 pm »
Let me first say, that I've read the info on Atripla, and I also understand side effects vary from person to person.
I'd like to hear from forum members who are using Atripla? I'd be interested in any wisdom , advice or tips they can give.

I am nearing my year mark on ATRIPLA, which was also my first HIV medication. That rash came and went, but what bothered me most was loss of sleep. I wouldn't have minded the dreams, but being unable to sleep drove me to take the pill around 2-3pm, which meant that around 4-5pm I was drunnk/high/pretty useless to the world! I did this for about 6 weeks adn was able to take it at bedtime and sleep fine. However in the last few weeks, as I've posted here, the sleep issue has resurfaced ... for some reason, something I read is making me think THYROID ... could ATRIPLA effect this?

Medically speaking, the drug worked great. I went from 50k+ VL to undetectable in less that two months, and while my cd4 was hovering stubbornly around 70, it began to increase after 4 months. I am now over 200.

So I am motivated to MAKE IT WORK. I have been taking a valerian root/melatonin combination, sleeping much better, but don't care for the odor.

Good luck!
Lowell
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »
Blk, I don't know about Atripla effecting the thyroid, but if you're thinking hypo-thyroid, believe me, you'd sleep.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »
I have had no real side affects yet (except for the sleep loss)  I have been staying up until 2 or 3 and getting up at 7 so if this continues I am definately going to have to figure out a new time to take it.  The one thing I hate is I make sure I don't eat anything after 8 now.... no late night munchies for me anymore  :'(  Not like I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds.

Maybe the sleep loss is why I was so sensitive today?

How's everyone else doing that just started recently?

Bosco- Is your start date still scheduled for March?

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:51:07 am »
Hello BOSCO,

You might want to read the other thread also under this Topic called 'Just starting Truvada + Sustiva (Stocrin)'

In essence it is exactly the same as Atripla, but as in Europe we still do not have Atripla, we must take two pills containing the same ingredients that are in Atripla.

Under this other Thread I detailed my daily use and side effects during my first two weeks.

Personally, I never had any of the sleepness problems that many people seem to experience.

I was also able to take the meds with or without food without causing me any problems.

A month after being on this med therapy, my VL went from 198,000 copies/ml (before meds) to 1970 copies/ml (after meds).

Like many here who are first timers at taking HIV meds, I was concerned of how I would react to all the horrible side effects Sustiva seems to possibly create. Luckily, I did not experience any of them.

Of course, at the end of the day, only you will be able to see how your body reacts to the meds and be able to determine if this is the right combo for you. For me, I am glad it is working thus far. It is a lot better than having to take around 24 a day like an ex-partner used to do back in the early 90s.

I hope the Atripla works good for you too.
Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 05:48:25 pm »
Last night I fell out of bed in my "tripla haze".  Woke myself up out of a pretty sound sleep after it took me forever to fall asleep  :-\  Geez...talk about dazed and confused.  ;D
Snow

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 02:45:34 am »
Okay... and here are the new numbers from my last blood tests:

The Stocrin (Sustiva) is staying within normal levels in my body, so not affecting in a negative form my body functions (which is a good thing)

CD4 count went from 186 (0.29 ratio) to 507 (0.39 ratio) - so count has definitely skyrocketed and ratio has improved (ratio should be between 1.00 - 2.80)

VL went from 198,000 down to 296

Enzyme values are within normal parameters which means my liver function is back to normal (between 10-50), as the value was a bit over 50 before.

All other numbers are within the appropriate ranges.

All good news.

And still no side effects, even no sleeping problems.

Seems the Truvada + Sustiva combo is working for me (Atripla in the States) .... hope it works for others just as well or better.

Cheers to all...
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline NECMHGUY

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:27 pm »
Personally, I love Atripla.  Crazy dreams and sometimes mild nausea are the only side effects I have experienced.  I take an anti-anxiety med at night too, so I can usually get to sleep quickly.  I feel good, look good, blood work is good, no complaints really. 

Offline PPK

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 02:34:50 pm »
I've been taking Atripla since Feb 1st 2008.  It took a good 6 weeks to get used to the medicine and most of all I needed to take it on an empty stomach because food mixed with it really gave me a feeling of being very high. Not a pleasant high either.   For me I try and make sure that I don't eat for at least 3 hours prior to taking the med. Also, It makes one have very intense dreams but if you can take those with a grain of salt it should be Ok.

Otherwise I'm very happy with this medicine. I only take it once a day.

Offline PPK

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:28 pm »
One More Tip....My Doctor said it's OK to take Melatonin as a sleep aid. It really helps me feel drowsy and I've been sleeping well.

Offline wiser

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:42:23 pm »
I've been using Sustiva +Turvada and then Atripla for 2 years. I had a few vivid dreams in the beginning .... more psychodylic than scary ... . I do have slight morning groginess if I stay up too late and eat after 8pm or so. Coffee usually helps. I've also started short powerr naps http://www.napsounds.com/ if I have sleepless nights. About 6 months ago I became depressed and anxious and even had suicidal ideation. I thought it might be the Sustiva, but some counseling identified the underlying issues and I have been handling things well with cognitive behavioral therapy. I was glad I didn't give up the Sustiva as it really was not the culprit. I like the once a day dosing of the Atripla. It has kept the VL <50 and CD4 moving up from 89 to the 230's. My CD4% continues to rise from a low of 11% to current 39%. So one more story to throw in the mix.

Offline keepingfaith

• Go Me!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:11 am »
I am happy to say that since I have started Atripla I havent had many side effects. In the being I got the rash which lasted maybe 4 days then I got the drunk feeling for the first week. Now I  have no side effects at all. My VL went from 62,200 to 1000 and CD4 from 278 to 366. Hopefully then next time I will be undectable.

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »
Atripla (Sustiva / Stocrin + Truvada) is being recommended as the best choice for those of us who are just starting an HIV therapy and have not developed resistance to a number of existing HIV mutations.

It is working well for me, but for those looking for more information on who may or may not be able to benefit from this one-a-day- pill, here is a link to more info on Atripla:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005158.html

For people living in Europe, the EU approved the use of Atripla towards the end of 2007 and it has finally become available in pharmacies across Europe this year (April 2008) - so if you are currently using Stocrin + Truvada, you might want to speak with your doctor about changing over to Atripla which is Stocrin + Truvada combined in one pill.
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Offline refnole

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:57 pm »
I found out I was pos last September and was on Kaletra and Treverda. Everything was great, 48% and 400 range. I was switched to Atripla last Friday and it has been weird. It is great to dream again! I do however feel sluggish, tired, like I have been taking cold meds and my head is detached so its that feeling. I have some anxiety and can take Oxazepam which I dont know if it is helping the sluggish feeling. Tonight I am not taking that and will see.

I was wondering does this ever go away? I am taking it at bed time usually between 10-12pm. What do people do that go out at night? How does drinking affect this?

Also eating, why do you have to wait two hours?

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 12:05:35 am »
Oxazepam side effects do include any or all of the following: drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, weakness, dry mouth, diarrhea, upset stomach, changes in appetite, heart palpitations, anxiety, trouble breathing, shortness of breath, angry outbursts, trouble sleeping, tremors.

Atripla is a combination of Sustiva plus Truvada (one non-nuke plus two nukes: Truvada is two meds combined) while Kaletra is a PI. The side effects you are experiencing could be the result of your body reacting to a new med, mainly, the exchange of Kaletra for the Sustiva part in Atripla. Side effects for Atripla are normally gone within 14 days.

You have to remember that how you personally react to your meds will depend on many factors, some of which can be related to any other types of medications you might be taking, and your overall health, both mental and physical.

So, although many of us here at the Forum might be on Atripla (Sustiva / Stocrin + Truvada) we might not all react the same to the use of this combo.

For me, it works fine and aside from always remembering me dreams, there are no other side effects. I take my meds around 8pm with or without meals. I am not affected either way.

If I need to go out at night, I take my meds between 3 and 4pm.

As far as alcohol drinking, I normally don't drink. But when I do so at social functions, I have not been affected by the combination of alcohol with my meds. Just remember, constant alcohol use damages your body. That will happen whether one is negative or positive.

Good luck on your new regime.
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.