Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:19:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Member, positive.  (Read 5573 times)

Offline paulsmithpoz10

New Member, positive.
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:16 pm »
Hi everyone! Just got my confirmation results last week and it's positive. Just got my CD4 count - 348. Two points lower than the cut-off for me not to take meds. My doc says I need to start on meds in two weeks. I actually looking forward to it because I know these meds will help me control this virus. I can't wait to make my immune system healthy again. I hope everything works out just fine. =) By the way, good news is I don't have any coeinfection. I really hope that meds will make feel better. =)
CD4: 348 VL:147,000 - March 13,2013
CD4: 413 VL:49 - August 9, 2013
CD4: 619 VL:31 - January 30, 2014

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: New Member, positive.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:46 am »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forums . You seem to have a great attitude and that is refreshing and a very good sign you will be back as good as new when you get on your meds and adjusted to them . I felt much better when I began meds and I'm confident you will too even if its the peace of mind that comes from knowing your meds are doing the job and the virus is undercontrol . Best of luck and again , welcome aboard . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:15:38 am »
Thanks Jeff!  :) This forum has helped me a lot. The first time my initial results came out, I thought my life is totally over. Then, I came across this site and it help me understand that everything is NOT over. I'll be living until I'm really, really old.  ;D

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:06:38 am »
Paul, welcome to the forums.  It is good to see the positive attitude you have.  Good to hear you don't have any other issue to deal with. 

All the best and keep in touch. 

Ted.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:05:18 am »

I'll be living until I'm really, really old.  ;D

Provided you always remember to look both ways before you cross the street! ;)

Hi Paul, welcome to the forums.

Have you found some of the other sections of this website yet?

One area you might be particularly interested in right now is the Treatments page, which will link you to information on all the individual meds.

Another area you may find useful are the Lessons.

The Lessons that you may be particularly interested in reading now are ones like The HIV Life Cycle, which will explain how the different classes of meds stop hiv at various parts of its life cycle.

Other Lessons you may find useful at this stage are; The Blood Tests You'll Need, which also explains what your lab results mean; Things You Should Know Before Starting Treatment; The Big Treatment Questions; and Living with HIV. You will find links to those Lessons on the main Lesson page I linked you to above.

One thing you should know - you do not have to rush into treatment at this stage. Your CD4 is still at a respectable number and you do have time to get used to the idea of taking meds every single day, while doing your best to not miss doses. It's an important commitment that you need to be mentally and emotionally ready to take on.

At your next appointment, rather than blindly accept whatever combo your doctor decides for you, discuss what other options s/he may recommend and - this is important - write down what s/he says. Go away and do some homework on her/his recommendations and decide which you think will be the best fit for you. Ask others here what their experiences have been.

A good doctor/patient relationship is one that entails two-way communication and joint decision making. Your doctor works for you - and should also work with you - to find the best fit treatment-wise for you.

As I briefly mentioned above, it's a good idea to write things down. Get yourself a small notebook and write down questions for your doctor as you think of them and remember to take the notebook with you to your appointments.

Make sure you write down the answers to your questions as well - often just a few words will be enough to jog your memory - because it's all too easy to forget most of what the doctor told you the minute you walk out the door.

Believe me, I know this (how easy it is to forget what was said) from experience and even after twelve years of regular hiv doctor appointments, I still have an hiv Q&A notebook for my appointments. It really helps.

Hang in there and good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:05:32 am »
Welcome aboard Paul.  It sounds as if you already have a positive attitude and that'll ultimately help a lot. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:12 am »
Thanks for the help Ann! I'll surely follow your advise. I plan this journey to be smooth as possible. Less humps for me the better. =)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 10:45:06 am »
Thanks for the help Ann! I'll surely follow your advise. I plan this journey to be smooth as possible. Less humps for me the better. =)

You're welcome, Paul.

A few humps now and then aren't such a bad thing, provided they're the right kind of humps. ~nudge-nudge, wink-wink~ ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.