Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:07:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 552
Total: 552

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: need information and I'm in Italy  (Read 5067 times)

Offline sadinitaly

need information and I'm in Italy
« on: March 20, 2008, 09:42:44 pm »
I feel horrible.  It's 2 weeks since my possible exposure.  I had sex with out a condom and I am stupid.  Now I fell extremely achy and tired and like I have the flu.   The worst part is I am an Au Pair in Italy and don't speak great Italian so going to the hospital is a little difficult (that's where they sen you over here if you have any kind of health problem)  But I will.  I contacted the american cdc twice and folloowed their propmts to try to speak to someone but the recording said they "could not help me with my inquiry"? What the heck?   I wonderr if anyone knows of a number I could call (english speaking) where they could direct me to the correct place in Italy.  I've searched for testing centers and nothing comes up on my computer.  Plus should I wait the 3 months or whatever to get tested?  I don't think I can.  But I doubt if they have that test here which detects the virus itself and not just the antibodies.   Should I just go back home?  Any help welcomed Thank you.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: need information and I'm in Italy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:04:07 pm »
Sadin,

I would wait til at least the 6 week mark before testing, and followup with a conclusive 13 week test.

Certain activities are more risky than others.  And whether you were the insertive or receptive partner is significant in assessing your risk.

But, either way, you would need to test.  Unprotected sex is unprotected sex.

I wouldn't focus on your symptoms though.  Too many other explanations for them.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:19 pm »
I was the reciever.  I know it's bad.  Also is there any hope for early detection?  Thank you for your reply.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:55:10 am »
Sad,

Wish I could provide info on services in Italy, but am not familar with what they offer. 

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself though.  It would be a lot of wasted time and expense to go back to the states over what may just be a case of the flu.

Wait for a least six weeks and test. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows Italy better.

Hang in there...

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:18:12 am »
Sad,

Go to http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1038779.asp and select Italy from the drop-down list and hit search. You don't need to do anything with the other three boxes. You'lll get a list of hiv organisations in Italy.

As you've been told, the earliest you should test is six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test postiive by then. Although a six week negative is unlikely to change, it MUST be confirmed with a test at the three month point.

Forget about symptom hunting. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms will tell you NOTHING about your hiv status. Only testing will reveal your status.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 04:03:27 am »
Thank You for the information ann.  For any one who wants to know I found out that they call STD's or STI's   MTS's over here.  Just in case that is helpful to anyone.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:34:28 am »
Sad, Ann's covered the basics for you. Although you are understandably worried, symptoms really mean nothing in terms of reliably knowing HIV status. Most of the time when people come here with all sorts of symptoms and are certain they will test positive, then end up testing negative. Hopefully you will scoot by safely this time. But you do need to learn from this experience about always, ALWAYS using a condom in the future.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident. So testing at 6 weeks and getting a negative will be a strong indication that you will continue to test negative. You should re-test at 13 weeks to confirm the earlier result.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. During this waiting time it will pass more quickly if you are productively busy and focusing on other things.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
I agree with Andy, always practice safer sex>  For me the idea of "Well we're in a monogomous relationship", or "Well I've always only slept with people with class"....I've heard all.  People that talk like this are playing with fire.  People are human and humans make mistakes all the time.  To assume or gamble that you or your partner could never stray or be exposed is ridiculous.  Ask anyone on this board.

If you are not in the process of trying to get pregnant there reaally is no reason to be praticing unsafe sex.  It's just not worth the risks.

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:52:01 pm »
Thank You Andy I have been trying to keep myself engaged in the world since you posted that.  Thank you for your kind words.  I will write back.  I strongly feel I have contracted the virus.  I have been figure out my options.  I went to the hospital who told me on the phone to come in that day.  I took a bus, and walked in rain, and when I got there they told me, go to a different place on Tuesday.  That's good and fine but today I'm in pain so I will go to the other hospital tomorow and see if someone can help me there.  If I sound unnaturally calm to you, I'll let you know I've been crying.

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:04:05 pm »
Pacer my thought process was nil.  I didn't even wan't to do it really but then I just did.  I was thinking and saying no no no at the time but then I just gave in.  I felt immediatley angry and sensed something was different.  "only doing it with people of a certain class" or whatever didn't fucking enter my mind.

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 05:12:59 pm »
pacer and anyone who might be offended I am sorry for swearing in my last post.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »
Fortunately feelings aren't facts. So even though you may "strongly feel" that you've been infected that remains to seen. And the HIV test taken at the proper time will give you that answer. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit so there's that in your favor.

Now, instead of moping around and feeling sorry for yourself, which only makes matters worse, get productively busy in your life and the waiting time will pass more quickly than you may imagine possible. And you will have your symptoms checked out, which by the way are not in any way HIV specific.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:26:52 pm »
HI I know I've been told to wait until the 6 weeks are over to get tested, but I wondered if I get tested now and test positive will there be anything they can do for me to stop damage to my immune system now?  I'm coming up on my fourth week of exposure.   I'm leaving in about a week to go home and just figured I would do it then, but while my symptoms have tapered they haven't stopped.   I've been having other problems too, (vaginal) which I went to the doctor for and she prescribed me an antibiotic, of which I'm guessing is safe since I told her my suspicions about me going through seroconversion.  The doctors here told me to get tested at the testing sight as the results will come back in two days and they are SURE I have nothing to worry about.  What.. I just put myself at major risk here.   They all seem to think Italian men don't have hiv.  Anyway I just wondered if waiting another week is going to be severely detrimental for hiv as well as treating other std's too?  I want to do something to help my body now if poosible.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
Sad,

You are not likely to be treated for hiv in primary infection - not in Europe anyway.  You could have - and should have - checked for other STIs two weeks after unprotected intercourse.

Whenever you test, remember that only a three month test is conclusive where negative results are concerned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sadinitaly

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:01:53 pm »
I tested at the 6 week mark and it was neg.  But I realize this is in NO WAY conclusive.  I am still having symptoms.  I went for STD testing which results aren't back from, and am on antibiotics.  Reading these forums has been one of the only things to calm me down in this difficult time, and I'd like to thank everyone.  I think these things should be on prime time TV.  Really to get the information out there.  I heard so much about STD's and HIV prevention when I was younger but then just didn't hear about it anymore.  It's imortant for these things to be drilled into peoples heads as we forget and especially when the rush of blood away from your brain during sex is involved.  Also don't trust men not to cum inside of you when they're not supposed to and yes this is not a good prevention method.  When I went to the hospital the day after this night for medical care, they didn't even tell me about PEP.  I found out two wekks later from this sight.  God bless.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:27:50 pm »
Even though your head seems to still be stuck on expecting the worst, a negative at 6 weeks is mighty good news. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so by 6 weeks. As for your symptoms, they are in no way HIV specific. Further, HIV ARS do not last for weeks and weeks. A week or two and they are generally GONE. I daresay nerves maybe playing some part in your general upset. In any case, discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

Stay productively busy in the coming weeks. It will help to pass them more quickly than you may imagine possible. There is a light ahead and I am expecting you to continue to test negative.

No less important is that in the future it doesn't whom you are with. Any partner must always without exception wear a latex condom. If he won't do that then he's not worth bothering with.

Now, get busy....

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.