Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 350
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Paranoid please help!  (Read 13432 times)

Offline ArtisticSoul

Paranoid please help!
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:27:16 am »
Hi

First I want to thank you guys for taking time out to answer questions that others may not know...your patience is appreciated. Ok here is my story:

I had a bf a few months ago and we engaged in sexual activity in May. He performed Oral sex on me and I had no idea he was gonna stick his penis inside me but he did. He penetrated once really quickly and I told him to get a condom. Ever since then until our last sexual encounter (which was July 15, 2006) we used protection. Ok now reflecting back on that 1st penetration incident (which happened in the beginning of May) towards the end of May I experience what I guess is diarrhea. Sorry for being explicit but I farted and poop came out on my panties which had NEVER happened before. This diarrhea went on for a few hrs but then I was OK. I didnt have any fever, sore throat or anything else that i can remember. Now I dont know what his HIV status is which is wrong on my part but I do know that he is promiscous and I am not (he cheated on me and slept with other people while we were together). Ok so i got a HIV test at the end of the Aug and it was negative. I havent had sex since 7/15/06. But recently Ive been experiencing I guess possible "symptoms" like sore armpits (that dont look swollen per say just sore), sore throat, I got a small rash that looked like a line on my left cheek a week ago and it lasted for about 5 days and now it's gone. I believe I have thrush b/c my tongue is white, dry cough or what i believe is dry cough. I havent had any fevers, I do have night sweats. Im going to the doctor tomorrow for a pre-op physical and I was gonna have her check out my tongue. My question is do I need to get tested again for HIV. I'm VERY paranoid about this and it is on my mind EVERYDAY. I just need some answers PLEASE. Thanks in advance.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: Paranoid please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:09:15 am »
It is very unlikely you got HIV from that exposure. As this guy tested negative too, there is really nothing to worry about. However, as you think about it every day I am going to assume you don't believe him. Well, you can get rid of all this worry and test for HIV. The test result will almost certainly come back negative. You don't get HIV from oral sex and the penetration was very brief. You can test if you like as you are well out of the window period.

A word to the wise, don't try and self-diagnose yourself or look for swollen lymph nodes. You are almost always going to be wrong (unless you are a qualified doctor) and you will only fuel your concerns. I know that it is hard to ignore symptoms but you are going to have to. Most of them don't follow the course for HIV infection (esp this short spell of the runs in your pants) and are not indicative of HIV infection.

Good luck with you op!

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:08:40 am »
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I was a bit confusing but I do not know my ex's HIV status. I do know that he engages in risky behavior (well i know now after the fact). So that is why i was concerned. I mean he may be negative who knows. But since i was experiencing what felt like symptoms I was and still is nervous. I had a negative result in Aug so hopefully the results are the same. Thanks again!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:22:33 am »
If I am reading you correctly, the single, brief episode of unprotected intercourse was in May and you tested negative in August. If I am counting correctly, that means you tested at something more than 10 weeks past the incident and possibly close to the 13 weeks which the CDC recommends.

I certainly expect you will continue to test negative since your subsequent episodes with your ex all involved using condoms during intercourse. Condoms provide very effective protection.

None of your symptoms are in any way HIV specific, but then you also need to know for future reference that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is the way to know about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you that answer.

Just keep using those condoms everytime no matter whom you are with in the future. No exceptions.

If any symptoms persist discuss them with your doctor.

Good luck with your test. I expect you to continue to test negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:50:59 pm »
Ok so i went to the doctor and I showed her my white tongue. She said it doesnt appear to by thrush but once i recover from surgery she will run some tests. I have two questions: Is oral thrush an early or late symptom or HIV? Also if my lymph nodes were swollen (particularly armpits and neck) what exactly would they look like? Would it be a hug bump? Like i stated before my armpits have been soar off and on but i have yet to see a "bump" there and on my neck (front and back). Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 01:04:40 am »
Don't go down the line of trying to feel lymph nodes. The most common mistake to make. They can also swell for many reasons, the least likely being HIV. You probably will mistake them anyhow. You normally don't have to poke around to find a swollen one if they are swollen. I'll leave it at that.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 02:20:59 pm »
ok so im paranoid again. My left armpit is sssssssooooooore. I mean it hurts. I was tryin to feel for a bump and i think i felt one. I tried to compare it to the right one and it feels different. At first i thought it was my mind playing tricks on me but no it is SORE. So should i be concerned? Also is white tongue or oral thrush a late or early symptom of hiv infection? My doc examined my tongue and she said it doesnt seem like thrush but we can test for it. But im serious my tongue is white. I dont know what to do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »
Even if you have thrush, that is not an HIV specific occurrence. It happens commonly to those who are not HIV positive as well.

Stop poking around your various places. Lymph nodes are sensitive and you can create a problem where there isn't any. And again, a swollen lymph node is not HIV specific.

I expect you to come out of this ok if you don't torture yourself to death first.

No kidding.

Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 01:47:20 pm »
Hello

I'm back with another "incident". So the last time I has intercouse was on April 26th 2007. The guy used a condom. After we were finished he kept his penis inside of me for about 20 mins (as we talked etc). Now I'm not sure if the condom broke b/c he did not say anything to the fact So I didnt really think anything of it. So when I got home I started to develop allergies (which I normally do every yr for the entire month of may). Ok sooo after approx 4-4 1/2 wks after the incident I started to develop a cold. Sore, throat, very bad cough, and night/day sweats. The sweating lasted for like 2 days. I didn't develop a fever, I had no diarrhea but I had a lingering cough for about a week and a half. Now after a couple of months Im starting to feel soreness under my armpits again, fatigue, soreness under my left foot and my vaginal area is itchy. I discovered what appears to be a redish bump/scar (not multiple just one) in the vaginal area, and the back of my knee is sore (with no physical activity what so ever). I'm very paranoid and freaking out again. Is it possible that I could be infected? It's been 9 weeks and I don't know if i should just go ahead and get tested asap or force myself to wait or should I just stop worrying and go on with my life. Please help. Thanks

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 01:55:21 pm »
Also please note the status of the guy is unknown and I developed a red "ring" on my side not too far from my right underarm.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 02:09:33 pm »
You've been around the block enough about HIV to know the basics by now.

If you re-read some of what you were told previously it all still applies. Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything reliably about your HIV status. When there has been a genuinely risky incident such as unprotected intercourse, (vaginal or anal), getting tested at 13 weeks is how you know your HIV status.

You actually have no evidence the condom broke. This is all stuff in your head. Condoms provide very effective protection. So I don't even see this as having been a risky incident.

As for your symptoms, you should be discussing them with your doctor. And of course there is absolutely nothing HIV specific about them.

I'm wondering if you might not be anxious around the whole subject of sexual activity because I don't see anything in this to justify your being worried about HIV exposure. Nor do I see any need for testing.

Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 02:17:32 pm »
Well I am nervous of possible exposure especially since I discovered the "bump" in my vaginal area and now the muscle aches in my left leg as well as a lil tingle in my foot. I know it could possibly be something else but from what I read online that sores in the vagina could possibly be a result of HIV infection. I tried to see my doc today but she was booked. I apologize for bothering you and I appreciate your help. I just want to know if it make sense to get tested now (after 9 wks) or just force myself to wait 13 weeks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 02:19:24 pm »
Just make an appointment to have your doctor examine you.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 02:22:31 pm »
Well since Andy said it doesn't seem HIV specific perhaps I shouldn't stress myself out as much.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 02:47:23 pm »
I wasn't talking about seeing the doctor about HIV. I was talking about the bump you claim to have on your vagina. You going to self diagnose yourself on that too?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 03:13:20 pm »
Yes, Rod is right on. You're in an HIV mindset without any justification for same I might add.

But if you have a vaginal bump, discuss it with your doctor.

And if you keep surfing the net for symptoms to stress over you will certainly find that kind of stuff. None of it helps of course which is why we tell people not to do it.

Again, I don't see this as an HIV situation. 
Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »
Ok so I have an app't for the obgyn tomorrow for the "bump" that hasn't gone away. So of course i'm freaking out again.

On a side note: The back of my knee is swollen and I read online that it could possibly be Lymphadenopathy? Isn't that an HIV symptom? Also I don't understand why all of my sudden I feel tingle in my foot, and hands, itchy-throbbing feeling in my vagina and my armpits become sore off and on.

Also I was reading another person's post and she talked about having a red ring on her back and I also had a mystery ring on my back that took days to disappear.

I'm sorry for being a pain but if someone can just ease my fears somehow...

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 02:06:38 pm »
At this point, the obgyn appointment is probably the only thing that will quell your fears.  Others here have said just about all they could possibly say and you're still freaked, so...

You'll need that doc's appointment to look at that mystery bump, but it just doesn't sound like any kind of HIV concern. 

And hon, you can find as a "possible HIV symptom" just about anything under the sun while you fish online.  Do yourself a big, fat favor and log off.  See your doctor and be done with it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 12:23:32 pm »
I'm back and I apologize but I suffer from anxiety attacks and Ijust need to know if my HIV test is unlikely to test positive.
So as stated yesterday I saw my obgyn. She found an additional bump inside my vagina. There seems to be a high level of bacteria down there but they took my blood to be tested for herpes, and I requested an HIV test. So the nurse said my results will be ready tomorrow.

Question: I thought it took a week for the results to come back when they take your blood and send it off to the lab. Is it really possible for the results to be ready by tomorrow?

Also my foot is still tingling, I feel a throbbing sensation down there, and now I'm starting to feel some soreness in my throat as well as some discomfort in my abdomen as well as underneath my tongue (I also have a white tongue). With the information that I provided how likely will it be that my test comes back negative? I'm sorry but i'm very paranoid and yes im a hyperchondriac but the thought of my test coming back positive is almost sending me over the edge :-(

Thanks in advance for your comments and patience in my HIV risk assessment.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 12:32:44 pm »
Doesn't matter when it comes back after going to the lab. You had protected sex. We can't be of any help for your anxiety attacks.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 12:38:29 pm »
Hi Rapid

I appreciate your replies. Yes he did have a condom on but stupid me didn't check to see if it broke or fell off so yes I'm goin off of assumptions. I just don't understand how I developed bumps in my vagina, I don't understand where the red ring on my back (that is now gone) came from. So today makes 11 wks after exposure so whatever the result is is definitive? Also what if it comes back positive do they peform futher testing or will that already be taken care of when the results come back? Also I'm developing a cold, will that affect the results?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 12:55:13 pm »
A cold will not affect a test result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 01:30:45 pm »
Art,

If you'd had a real hiv risk, you would have officially needed to wait at least another week to test. As you didn't have a risk, your result will be conclusive. If you've always made sure condoms were being used for intercourse, then your test will come back negative.

None of your symptoms mean anything when it comes to hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is going on.

Expect a negative result. I am.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 03:43:43 pm »
Hello!!

Sooo they haven't been able to figure out what is the cause for that bump but I tested neg for all STDs (HIV included). Now my question is I tested 11 wks after the incident and test neg for HIV. Should I consider this result conclusive or do I really need to test again in about a week. Thanks for your help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 04:02:52 pm »
Yes, you are conclusive. Reason being, you didn't have a risk.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 12:16:46 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am back with another "risk" question. A couple of days ago I engaged in intercourse with a man (I am a female). This was our second time and I don't know his status. Condom was used the first time. Well he penetrated without a condom ( I would say 2-3 times) when I realized and told him to go put one on and he agreed. So for the rest of the time a condom was used. After that there was some oral performed w/out a condom (which I am not overly concerned about), but towards the end he rubbed his penis back in forth in my vagina (w/out condom and no penetration) for like 30 secs and I told him to put a new one back on. My question is what is the risk level? Should I contact my local hospital about Pep?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:39 pm »
Neither rubbing nor oral are risks for HIV transmission.

But penetration without a condom is a risk. Even when it's very brief. If a guy is going to put his penis into you he has to be wearing a condom. Everytime. No exceptions.

No, PEP is not warranted in circumstances which you have described. The insertions were brief and apparently without ejaculation. PEP is no walk in the park and is not something to just do casually. I would say it's not needed although you do need to test at 13 weeks to confirm that you are still negative. Doing PEP from my point of view would be strictly for your peace of mind since the risk was very low. But ultimately you have to decide.

What I don't get is  how with your knowing about safer sex you will allow a guy to penetrate without a condom. When you do that you are putting your health and your life at risk. It's that serious and that simple. That's why condoms are a must. I expect you to scoot by safely this time when you test but learn from the experience and make sure condoms are used everytime in the future.
Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »
Thanks for your reply Andy. Seriously, I don't have an answer but I can guarantee you that it won't happen again. So you're saying the risk is low for me and I shouldn't worry to much? I prefer not to go through with PEP if it's not necessary but I could always inquire since I'm 48 hours in. So rubbing is OK even when done 'inside' the vagina (w/out a condom)? I just want to make sure I'm clear on that. As far as ejaculation he didn't do it at that moment it was hours later and NOT inside of me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:59 pm »
Reread the replies Andy just gave you. Apparently you aren't reading and paying attention.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 01:14:07 pm »
Hi Rapid,

Thanks for your reply but I did read and I am just asking for clarification.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:55 pm »
Neither rubbing nor oral are risks for HIV transmission.

But penetration without a condom is a risk. Even when it's very brief. If a guy is going to put his penis into you he has to be wearing a condom. Everytime. No exceptions.

No, PEP is not warranted in circumstances which you have described. The insertions were brief and apparently without ejaculation. PEP is no walk in the park and is not something to just do casually. I would say it's not needed although you do need to test at 13 weeks to confirm that you are still negative. Doing PEP from my point of view would be strictly for your peace of mind since the risk was very low. But ultimately you have to decide.

What I don't get is  how with your knowing about safer sex you will allow a guy to penetrate without a condom. When you do that you are putting your health and your life at risk. It's that serious and that simple. That's why condoms are a must. I expect you to scoot by safely this time when you test but learn from the experience and make sure condoms are used everytime in the future.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »
Ok what about the answer to my other question (Rubbing w/out a condom). Even with a brief encounter is my risk 'high' at possible exposure?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:44 pm »
I already told you that rubbing without a condom is not a risk. How much clearer can I be about that?
Andy Velez

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:35 pm »
Hi Andy,

Yea you were clear about 'rubbing' but for my peace of mind I wanted to make sure it was w/out a condom. Thank you.

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »
I got all the answers I need. Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »
AS,

The rubbing you describe is called frottage and frottage is not a risk for hiv infection. For a start, you do not have the type of cells hiv can latch onto and infect anywhere in your outer genitalia. Also, hiv is only successfully transmitted INSIDE the body where it never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Frottage occurs OUTSIDE the body.

Your only risk was the brief unprotected receptive intercourse where his penis was INSIDE your body. For your peace of mind you should test at the three month point. I fully expect you to test negative over this brief-without-ejaculation incident.

PEP is not warranted.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your response. He rubbed 'inside' not out which it what I was trying to get clarification on. If it was outside rubbing I wouldn't have been concerned. I plan on getting the test in 3 months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »
but towards the end he rubbed his penis back in forth in my vagina (w/out condom and no penetration) for like 30 secs and I told him to put a new one back on.

I'm going by what you said in your first recent post. You said NO PENETRATION during this rubbing incident. I took that to mean he was only between your vaginal lips - and this practice is called frottage. Frottage is not a risk.

Your only risk was the 2-3 unprotected thrusts where he actually penetrated the inside of your vagina. And as sexual hiv risks go, that's very much on the lower end of the scale.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ArtisticSoul

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
Got it. Thanks again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.