Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:20:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 664
Total: 664

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disclosure after sex  (Read 2281 times)

Offline joel89

Disclosure after sex
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:00:11 am »
Hi All,
Would first just like to say thanks for providing such an excellent support resource, it has been a godsend for people like me who felt pretty isolated at time of diagnosis. Three years on I have mostly moved past it and life is actually going pretty well, of course like everyone else we have our days but I am lucky enough to have great doctors and wonderful friends around me. Gonna go on a bit of a tangent here so feel free to stop reading because this is a bit of a silly dilemma.

I think like most of us the greatest issue to grapple with is the stigma rather than the medical implications. My situation was particularly toxic, as I caught it off my then girlfriend – the relationship unsurprisingly turned into quite the shitshow of codependency until I finally put my foot down and said I was leaving. This girl suffered from all sorts of anxieties and insecurities, despite the fact that I made sure she never felt guilty about transmission. She began to threaten me, many of which involved disclosing my status to my family, colleagues and friends – this was of course deeply damaging and depressing having gone through the diagnosis with that person. It all ended somewhat messily but am back on my feet now – I certainly am left with a somewhat irrational mistrust of people and am less open than before, things which I am trying to work through.

So my issue is this – a few weeks ago I met a girl and we fell for each other hard and fast, in a way that I haven’t really experienced before. I was so terrified of screwing things up, and things happened so quick that we progressed to the physical stage without me disclosing (I am UD and we use protection). I understand that is not really an excuse and I feel quite guilty about it, I also worry she will think I am dishonest and struggle to trust me in future. We have slept together quite a few times, and I am currently out the country for ten days so I finally have time to think. I know I should disclose to her, I am serious about her in the long tem, but I have so much anxiety about all that could go wrong – the facts are as follows

1) She is an extremely kind person who seems to be very accepting of others and their faults, she doesn’t seem to hold grudges even against people who wronged her pretty badly
2) I’m pretty sure she is somewhat informed about the condition due to her background
3) We have a lot of mutual friends, I would be less concerned if we didn’t.
My other option is to call things off, which is silly given our chemistry and her likely understanding. I guess what I’m looking for is a little reassurance, through shared experience etc of disclosure particularly after the ‘deed’ was done. Feel free to be brutally honest and tell me if you think I have screwed up her trust and its not worth going after.
Hugs,
Joel

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Disclosure after sex
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 01:12:24 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Right, so I will spare you the preach running through my head about not disclosing sooner.

I would sit her down and be honest with her, and face the consequences. 
If you want a long term relationship its not going to work if you don't disclose and best to do it now rather than later.

If she ends the relationship because of it, so be it.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »
I will preach, just a little... not because I agree with the law, but to make you aware.

You've just admitted to Nondisclosure, that is a crime in all 50 states to some degree. There are states that are extremely draconian in their prosecution. There are people recently sentenced to lengthy jail terms for exactly what you just did. Undetectable, protection used, no transmission, but no disclosure. And still found guilty, sentenced, jailed, and a lifetime on the sex offenders registry.

It is terrifying.

Offline joel89

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:06:06 pm »
Thanks all, I totally understand where you are all coming form and I am glad you can be frank with me. The US does indeed have strange laws, I actually live in Germany - where it is up to the individual to protect themselves.
Regardless of any legal implication as a moral issue it is important - I guess I was overwhelmed and simply need to man up.

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:55:16 am »
I actually live in Germany - where it is up to the individual to protect themselves.

a far more enlightened approach, if your culture reflects your laws i think you're on much better ground.

if you want the relationship to continue, i agree with you, there is a moral imperative argument to be made.

good luck, hope all is well

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »
Hey there.

Obviously disclosure now is key and perhaps how you approach that will be the important factor in how 'successful' or not it is. We can't provide a specific failsafe strategy on that bit, as much will depend on your partner - their views, prejudices and clearly how 'into' you they are.

The chips will fall as they may.

If it were me, I'd probably provide her an easy 'out' should she wish to take it but try and find a time where she is a captive audience for long enough for me to at least educate about the 'condition' you have, the outlook and the zero-transmission risk. I'd probably assume it's over, and let her surprise me with her actions beyond that rather than pitch it as something she should take in her stride. Thats just me though and as I say, everyone is different.

You may be surprised though. I was with my GF when I was diagnosed and she has been great. Even though we had very risky unprotected sex in the lead up to the test, when I was starting to become convinced I had this. She is an absolute rock in how I have been able to deal with everything. So it's possible - even common - to have partnerships between HIV+ and HIV- people.

Best of luck however it goes, and you know we are all here for you...
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »
Hi,
You may want to "ease" into it slowly, step by step. Perhaps, send her an interesting article you recently came across "by chance", or watch a news report (i recently watched a show in HBO by VICE which was a report on HIV - very optimistic and uplifting).
In any case, it is clear to me that you must disclose, and hope for the best. I wish you good luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.