Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:59:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773469
  • Total Topics: 66369
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 255
Total: 255

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mama's and Papa's singer Denny Doherty dies  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Jody

Mama's and Papa's singer Denny Doherty dies
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:56:04 pm »
Several years back I got to see Denny Doherty perform at the Village theater in a show that paid tribute to a group I loved and grew up with...The group, with others playing the roles of the rest of the band, sang and basically rejoiced in the history of the Mamas and the Papas...It was such a wonderful show I went back with other friends to see it again...After both shows Denny signed our playbills, CD's we bought and spoke with us like an old friend.  He will be missed...Below is an internet write-up on his life.....................   

Mamas and Papas Singer Denny Doherty Dies
AP
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. (Jan. 19) - Denny Doherty, one-quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group The Mamas and the Papas , known for their soaring harmony on hits like "California Dreamin"' and "Monday, Monday," died Friday at 66.

His sister Frances Arnold said the singer-songwriter died at his home in Mississauga, a city just west of Toronto, after a short illness. He had suffered kidney problems following surgery last month and had been put on dialysis, Arnold said.

The group burst on the national scene in 1966 with the top 10 smash "California Dreamin'." The Mamas and the Papas  broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. John Phillips, the group's chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot, teamed with Doherty.

"Monday, Monday" hit No. 1 on the charts and won the band a Grammy for best contemporary group performance. Among the group's other songs were "I Saw Her Again Last Night," "Go Where You Wanna Go," "Dancing Bear," and versions of "I Call Your Name" and "Dedicated to the One I Love."

"What made the group special was their haunting and sumptuous harmony singing," according to "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll."

"Everybody used to think that John Phillips, who wrote the songs, was also the main voice of the group, but it wasn't - it was the angelic voice of Denny Doherty," said Larry Leblanc, Canadian editor of Billboard Magazine. "He was often overlooked but it was really his voice that carried the group."

In 1998, the Mamas and the Papas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The group's catchy sound was a blend of '60s upbeat pop and the folk music that had surged in popularity early in the decade. The song "Creeque Alley" told the story of their formation amid the musical ferment of the folk scene; among the other stars-to-be mentioned in its lyrics were members of the Lovin' Spoonful and the Byrds.

Folk superstars Peter, Paul and Mary paid their own tribute to the Mamas and the Papas with their humorous 1967 hit "I Dig Rock and Roll Music."

But the group's heyday was brief and it disbanded in 1968 following John and Michelle Phillips' divorce. The members re-formed in 1971 for the album "People Like Us," but all hope for a reunion ended in 1974 when the 32-year-old Elliot suffered a fatal heart attack in London.

Phillips briefly re-formed the group in 1982 with Doherty, Phillips' actress daughter, Mackenzie, and Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane. The foursome toured playing oldies and new Phillips originals.

In 2003, Doherty was co-author and performer in an off-Broadway show called "Dream a Little Dream: The Mamas and the Papas  Musical." It traced the band's early years, its dizzying fame and breakup amid drugs and alcohol and an affair between Doherty and Michelle Phillips.

"There's a part of this thing that if I'm not careful, I'd be just a blob on the stage crying my guts out," Doherty told The Associated Press at the time. "Everybody knows about death and dying and sadness, so it's an exercise in staying in the moment and not getting maudlin about your friends dying."

John Phillips died in 2001 at 65.

The Halifax-born Doherty started his music career in Montreal in 1960 as the co-founder of the Colonials, which later became the Halifax Three.

Doherty made a solo album in 1974 and achieved a bit of immortality by both playing the Harbormaster and voicing all the characters for the children's TV series "Theodore Tugboat."

Doherty, who was married twice, is survived by three children, John, Emberly and Jessica; three sisters; and a brother. Both of his wives predeceased him.

:'(

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Mama's and Papa's singer Denny Doherty dies
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:05:58 pm »

Jody,

Thanks for the info.   I have a sister that is 14 years older than me and this is the stuff I remember playing throughout the house when mom was at work.  Mamas and the Papas, Jim Croce, Hendrix, Joplin....  definitely left a very lasting impression of the times in my mind.  Also part of the reason for my very eclectic taste in music...

RIP Denny Doherty.. :(
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline ademas

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:40:25 pm »
Very sad to hear this...I've been a fan since elementary school.
I have them on my MP3, and listen to them often (almost daily, while on the treadmill).
RIP Denny.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:26:22 pm »
The song "Creeque Alley" told the story of their formation amid the musical ferment of the folk scene; among the other stars-to-be mentioned in its lyrics were members of the Lovin' Spoonful and the Byrds.

Great song - Very catchy - It can linger in your head for days  :D

But 66 and 65  :-\   :-\  - That's kind of young I think.... So there's only one left, Michelle  :-\

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:39:31 pm »
That's really sad.  I love the Mamas and the Papas.

My friend and I used to sing "Dream a Little Dream Of Me" in the back of the bus in high school on the way to drama competitions.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 06:41:49 pm »
I've always been a big Mammas and Pappas fan. They were together a short time but put out some terrific music.

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 06:47:10 pm »
Why isnt anyone mentioning Mama Cass Eliot!!!  She was the best.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.