Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:45:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 213
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: When to get tested after nPep  (Read 7883 times)

Offline mg1000

When to get tested after nPep
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »
im 39 Ive always been good and never indulged in drugs or risky sex. But Saturday night I met an hiv positive man and smoked crystal and we had sex for 7 hours. I only gave him oral and kissed him (there was no anal), but he ejaculated in my mouth many times. I had sores in my mouth and very dry mouth from the drugs.

So I went to the doctor and he told me I was very low risk, but I insisted and he put me on Truvada for 28 days as a PEP program and I took my first pill today.

So my question is, if I were to return to this hiv positive man and had another marathon session of crystal and performing oral on him, since im taking PEP would that kill the virus if I got it?
I just want to do it 1 more time.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Can you catch HIV while on PEP treatment?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »
You didn't have a risk in the first place and you certainly didn't need nPEP.

Offline mg1000

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »
You didn't have a risk in the first place and you certainly didn't need nPEP.

Hi Just so I understand it better, 7 hours of drug use and swallowing hiv positive semen isnt risky?
Im not debating as you are the experts, im just learning whats ok and what isn't.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:55 pm »
Hi Just so I understand it better, 7 hours of drug use and swallowing hiv positive semen isnt risky?
Im not debating as you are the experts, im just learning whats ok and what isn't.
Oral sex is not a risk of transmitting HIV. Saliva has over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV transmission.

Offline mg1000

Eroded esophagus, low stomach acid and swallowing
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:49 am »
Hi I have a question.
I've had acid reflux for the past 20 years and because of this I have somewhat of an eroded esophagus.
For the past 10 years I take a prilosec everyday and I dont have the acid anymore.

People always say its ok to swallow semen because "Your stomach acids will kill it" but if I take a prilosec everyday then do I still have stomach acid to kill hiv?

also if my esophagus is eroded from decades of acid reflux is that an opening for hiv to get into my blood stream?
I just wanted to know before I go swallowing thinking I'm safe.

thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Eroded esophagus, low stomach acid and swallowing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:10 pm »
Your saliva has over a dozen enzymes and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV. Taking prilosec is not going to diminish your resistance to HIV being passed orally.

Despite occasional reports from those who insist they became infected through giving oral, those claims never seem to hold up under careful scrutiny. By contast longterm studies of both gay and straight sero-discordant couples who had lots of mutual oral and only protected intercourse have resulted in not one negative partner having become infected.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Eroded esophagus, low stomach acid and swallowing
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:27:10 am »
mg,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mg1000

When to get tested after nPep
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:06:33 am »
I had a possible exposure on Sunday Morning 3AM Sept 25th with a sexual partner who is hiv positive.
I started nPep Monday Sept 26th evening at 10PM. (I started late because its Complera and I had to wait for my Prilosec to wear off.)
My nPep is scheduled to finish on Sunday Oct 23rd.

I plan on going right to a Western Blot test, (I'll spend the money and just know faster instead of waiting 6 months for the Elisa.)

I was wondering if I test so soon after finishing nPep will the virus even show up?
How long would it take after nPep that I should get tested?

Thanks

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: When to get tested after nPep
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:49:07 am »
*edited to say - PLEASE return to your original thread. I have reported this to the moderators so that they might move these posts.

For starters, what was your exposure?

If it was indeed unprotected anal/vaginal sex, then a Western Blot alone is not likely to give you any  better idea of your status than an Elisa right after stopping PEP. The meds you are taking are identical to the meds used to treat HIV, therefore you will likely have an undetectable viral load even if you are indeed HIV positive. The very purpose of PEP/HIV meds is to suppress viral load and cell integration.

The soonest you can test after PEP and get an inkling of your status is 22 days give or take AFTER finishing PEP. Of course, only a three month test (not six months) is considered definitive.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:30:46 am »
Mg,

ONCE AGAIN, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You are obviously quite ignorant when it comes to hiv testing, and that saddens me considering you've been using this website for well over a year. You've had access to the correct information, yet decided to ignore it.

For a start, unless you were the bottom and unprotected anal intercourse occurred, then you do not need to be on PEP.

Secondly, going "right to the Western Blot" is just stupid. You don't have to wait six months for a standard antibody test and a WB test will not speed anything up. Where are you getting these bullshit ideas from? Certainly not here.

The earliest you should test following PEP - provided you actually had a risk and are not just freaking out unnecessarily - is at six weeks and all you need to test with is a standard antibody test - NOT A WB!!!!

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS (on a standard ANTIBODY test, not a WB), with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point - where there has actually been a risk - but is highly unlikely to change.

WB tests are used ONLY for the purpose of confirming or ruling out a positive result on a standard antibody test. Anyone who lets you order a WB without a positive antibody result is a fool and should not be allowed to practice medicine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mg1000

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04:48 pm »
I've been tested at least 2 dozen times in my life and *every* hiv counselor has told me that it can take up to 3 months for your body to produce antibodies.
Fenway community health, Howard Brown, GLCC, Out of the Closet have all told me it takes 3 months to show up.

ok i wont be posting here anymore. I ask 1 question every 2 years and always get scolded for asking a question, as if Im some annoying person asking every week. Jesus.

If you dont want people asking questions then why do you even have a forum? Why dont you close it and provide a link to the search feature saying "your question has been asked already, please search for it"

I was going to post my experience using Complera, the complications I experienced, the costs, what I did to save money, but God forbid I make a post on a "Forum". Just forget it. adios.

Offline mg1000

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
i apologize, please delete all my posts, i should not have written that and the board wont allow me to delete it. i wont ask anymore. thank you
again i apologize and regret what i wrote. please delete it

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »
Our policy is to not delete accounts. By and by it will simply go further down the list when nothing new is added to it.

Good luck in finding a site that better suits your needs.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 04:49:30 am »
Mg,

Sure, in some cases it can take up to three months - that's why we say you must confirm a six week negative at three months. However, the fact remains that the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. The average time to seroconversion is only 22 days.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.