Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:02:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 487
Total: 489

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone using Escitalopram for their anxiety?  (Read 7043 times)

Offline bluebomber

Anyone using Escitalopram for their anxiety?
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:37:13 am »
I am using Escitalopram for 2 months now and I just want to gauge how people are doing with it on the long term and has it affected your treatment with HIV

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Anyone using Escitalopram for their anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:31 am »
I took it for depression for a year or two, about 6 months after I caught HIV.  The drug worked well for me and I dont think it had any impact on the antiviral treatment. 

Hope you find some relief!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bluebomber

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:58:36 pm »
It seems to be working. I think I lack social interaction and honestly I dont go out anymore. I think that would be the biggest contributor to my depression. I dont really like taking to many medications both for financial reasons and health. Its reassuring that its a treatment that works.

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »
Its a popular treatment and thats because it works.  But you should figure out a way to socialize more. HIV can be isolating as can depression. The two together - well we have to do something active and concrete to feel good.  If you can't or don't feel like really socializing you could still just go someplace regular like yoga or fitness or some activity which will help change the air and your mindset.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bluebomber

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:59:38 am »
I should really try meditation again. I guess I stopped because my android app subscription free trial expired. Im not sure I cpuld go out yet. Crowds and the outdoors trigger my anxiety. I am afraid of getting tetanus and rabies. I know its silly but I get stressed out.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »
The plot has thickened with that post.  You seem to be in real situation with the isolation. Do you have mental health attention to this? Any progress in the long term? I'm sorry to hear it.

Offline bluebomber

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:36 pm »
I was advised to go out more often but going out seems to trigger my worries and it gives me something to think about each night. Like whether I stepped on something sharp, someone sneezed at me, did I bump into a flying bat. Silly stuff that hurts me because I know its silly but i cant shake it off. For the 2 months im taking Escitalopram, I was waiting for the thoughts to disappear but I guess it does not work that way. I need to go out, make friends, real friends and do something other than work at home.

My mistake is thinking escitalopram is something that while control my thoughts. As i learn it lessens the feelingbof of worry but it cannot edit my thinking. Thats why I am eager to find hope whenever I can like people who successfully used it and how did they cope.

It does not help at all that I am a former worker in the medical field, now everything i know about disease, injuries haunts me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:35:21 pm »
Hi

Look sorry to hear the challenges you are facing.

If you worked in the medical field you also know to get a tetanus shot if that helps calm the nerves regarding that specific concern, and about the rabies it is really rare but look just don't put your hands in stray animals mouths and you should be fine.  ;)

I think avoiding crowds is one thing, you can't just jump into this as it would be overwhelming but you probably do need to build up-to learning to cope with it and having social contact with people, real people in the real world. This would i suspect be one of the first steps to take to build that confidence level again.

Medication alone is not the answer BTW. Are you also seeing a therapist regarding your fears?

Anyhow wishing you well.

Jim   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:37:25 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline bluebomber

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »
I wanted to seek a therapist but right now all I can afford is a psychiatrist and medication. Therapy in our country is expensive and not covered by insurance. I am often left alone with my thoughts. But I do began starting to read self help books and it calms me a bit. And now I have this forum which is helping a lot.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:17 pm »
If you have trusted friends to whom you have disclosed, rely on them for discussions and chats that substitute well for therapy.  Really, that can  take the place of "formal" therapy and provide you the support you may need.

Of course, please continue to use these forums for continuing support.  Many talented and gifted people are here for you.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bluebomber

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:10:45 pm »
I dont really have friends just acquaintances but I'll try to make one

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:13 am »
Just something I noticed in your words here - are you aware of this. It does not seem primarily people and contacts that give you the anxiety but irrational fears of safety and life fears.  That is what you mention more often.  So keep that in mind when you are ready to go out - even the little social contact of a commercial exchange or pleasantries at a fitness centre or stretching class might be reassuring in an environment that to you seems filled with dangers.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.