HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Unprotected vaginal penetration

(1/1)

mello:
Hello there, last Saturday morning I had unprotected sex with a woman whose HIV status I do not know; she said to me that she is healthy. There were two penetrations, the first of approximately one minute and the second of approximately thirty seconds. On both occasions I ejaculated inside her. I know that this implies a risk of contracting the virus. I would like to know what is the best course of action from now on and also to hear some data that can give me some hope, Is there any way to trust what she told me? I feel very worried and guilty. Thank you in advance.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---she said to me that she is healthy
--- End quote ---

Yeah, so am I. It's 2022, so I'm living with HIV but probably healthier than most of my HIV-negative peers.

--- Quote ---Is there any way to trust what she told me?
--- End quote ---

No. Even if they had tested an hour before the encounter, it would mean nothing due to the window period.

You had condomless intercourse, and it's a risk. As the insertive partner, there is less risk than compared to the receptive partner, but it's still a real-world HIV risk and warrants testing to confirm your HIV status.

Test at six weeks post your last potential exposure with a blood-draw (lab) HIV antibody test. The result at this time will rarely change, and retesting at three months generally isn't needed.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version