HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Blood on tourniquet

(1/2) > >>

Schrot58:
Hello!

I have a question since Im freaking out a little bid. Im currently pregnant and dont want to endanger my child.
The assistant drew blood at the office today and they always reuse the tourniquet (normal in the country Im from). So she touched and closed the tourniquet and then touched my vein with her fingers again. And  immediately right after inserted the needle. It wasnt until after I noticed that there were blood stains on the tourniquet lock that must have been from the previous patient.
Im really worried she transferred the blood from my skin into my vein by touching the vein again with unclean gloves. :(

How likely is it that I contracted hiv from this situation?
Im also worried about Hepatitis C.
Thanks!

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---they always reuse the tourniquet (normal in the country Im from). So she touched and closed the tourniquet and then touched my vein with her fingers again. And  immediately right after inserted the needle. It wasnt until after I noticed that there were blood stains on the tourniquet lock that must have been from the previous patient. Im really worried she transferred the blood from my skin into my vein by touching the vein again with unclean gloves.
--- End quote ---

Absolutely zero HIV risk.

I wish you all the best with your pregnancy. Not sure how far along you are, but if your pregnancy is already 10+ weeks, remember to get a standard HIV screening.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed

Schrot58:
Thank you!
But I do have to assume she had that blood on her fingers because she had to close the obvious contaminated tourniquet and touched my vein again..
i got tested at the beginning and I was negative.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---But I do have to assume she had that blood on her fingers because she had to close the obvious contaminated tourniquet and touched my vein again..
--- End quote ---

Not an HIV risk, zero!

--- Quote ---i got tested at the beginning and I was negative
--- End quote ---

Good and retest after 10+ weeks. Use condoms if sexually active during the pregnancy.

Schrot58:
Because of the incident?
Ive been married for 3 years so I wasnt planning on getting tested again. Do I have to?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version