Monkeypox

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jim Allen:
UK plans to offer vaccine to gay and bisexual men at risk of monkeypox

https://i-base.info/htb/43164

Jim Allen:
Study Reveals Novel Monkeypox Symptoms and Transmission Routes
Study looking into 528 confirmed cases of monkeypox

https://www.poz.com/article/study-reveals-novel-monkeypox-symptoms-transmission-routes

--- Quote ---528 confirmed monkeypox cases in 16 countries between April 27 and June 24.
All but one were men, and the remaining individual identified as transgender.

Three quarters of the identified cases were white, 12% were Latino, 5% were Black and 4% were mixed race. The median age was 39 years. Of note, 56 people were older than 50, and 9% had previously received a smallpox vaccine, showing that prior vaccination is not fully protective.

Just over 40% were living with HIV, and among those who were HIV-negative or had an unknown status, 57% were using pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).

The good news is that HIV-positive people with monkeypox did not have worse outcomes. "Whilst people with HIV account for more than 40% of cases so far, it is reassuring that HIV status was not linked with monkeypox severity, said Laura Waters, MD, chair of the British HIV Association.
--- End quote ---

leatherman:

--- Quote ---But experts fear that if the outbreak is not promptly managed, the virus could spread beyond this group and may become endemic in more countries.

--- End quote ---
didn't we just touch on this same issue and what did and didn't happen at the beginning of the HIV epidemic in the USA?

--- Quote ---don't think less of me ;) but there were years I wished that's how it would have gone. Maybe people would have cared more and maybe fewer of my friends and partners wouldn't have died before they even turned 30. :(

--- End quote ---
sure the death rate is different - 10% vs 100% - but, depending on how much monkeypox spreads, saving the lives of 10% of my friends would certainly be appreciated sooner rather than later. ;)

Jim Allen:
https://www.poz.com/article/monkeypox-global-public-health-emergency-says

--- Quote ---As of July 25, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has identified 3,487 monkeypox cases, and the United States will soon exceed all other countires. Worldwide, there are now more than 18,000 cases.

The monkeypox virus is transmitted through close physical contact, including skin-to-skin contact, kissing and respiratory droplets at close range, but it does not spread through the air over longer distances. Monkeypox can potentially spread via clothes, bedding or surfaces, but this appears to be much less common. It is not yet known whether monkeypox is directly sexually transmitted through semen or vaginal fluid, but it does spread via contact with sores during sex.
--- End quote ---

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: leatherman on July 25, 2022, 06:46:42 pm ---sure the death rate is different - 10% vs 100% - but, depending on how much monkeypox spreads, saving the lives of 10% of my friends would certainly be appreciated sooner rather than later. ;)

--- End quote ---

Yeah. Somehow I expected a quicker response to this outbreak, I know that's silly, but still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version