Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:08:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 693
Total: 695

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Man Died After Allegedly Being Denied HIV Meds in California Jail  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads

January 25, 2024 • By Laura Schmidt
https://www.poz.com/article/man-allegedly-died-denied-hiv-meds-california-jail

In February 2022, Nicholas Overfield, 38, was arrested for failing to appear in court. During his arrest, he informed officers of his HIV-positive status and need for antiretroviral medication to maintain his health.

Just two months later, Lesley visited her son in jail to find his health had rapidly declined to the extent that he was too weak to walk and had to use a wheelchair. The next day, Overfield was rushed to the hospital and transferred to hospice care soon thereafter.

“Medical records show that he was denied his prescribed HIV medication for the entire two months he was detained,” the lawsuit alleges.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: Man Died After Allegedly Being Denied HIV Meds in California Jail
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 03:22:17 pm »
That’s just awful. I hope all of those involved face criminal charges. Unfortunately when we privatized our prison systems, and allowed private equity funds to base their bottom lines on the costs savings, this was the inevitable result. That poor man - what a terrible way to die.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 08:28:08 pm »
what a terrible situation.

I do have a couple other thoughts though that I'm afraid I won't find enough answers to complete the picture.

1. How was he getting meds prior to his incarceration? I ask because of his previous criminal and substance abuse issues, I wonder if his meds came through any ADAP program? ADAP should have noticed that he dropped out of care, or as is done here in SC, ADAP should already have access into the prison system to ensure patients have their medications.

2. What was his health status prior to this incarceration? If he was undetectable and >200 cd4s in Feb, his death in June wasn't due to not having medications. That's just too short of a time for that kind of change in health. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:05:32 am by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 07:40:26 am »
what a terrible situation.

2. What was his health status prior to this incarceration? If he undetectable and >200 cd4s in Feb, his death in June wasn't due to not having medications. That's just too short of a time for that kind of change in health.

Yeah, it's disgraceful.

I agree two months is very fast. That said, perhaps they had only just started treatment before being locked up or something. We don't know; I will keep an eye out for updates to this story, although most suits are settled, if possible though.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.