Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:16:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 585
Total: 585

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm newly diagnosed, should I cahnge my work regime?  (Read 11637 times)

Offline Japito

I'm newly diagnosed, should I cahnge my work regime?
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:25:46 pm »
Hello All,

I’ve just been diagnosed 2 weeks ago; I was feeling flu-like symptoms and swollen glands, so did the Oraquick® Rapid HIV Antibody Test using oral fluid and it came back positive. Actually, still waiting for results on my second test to confirm my HIV+ status, but I believe I’ve started already with my seroconversion, I feel fatigue, loosing weight, and swollen glands still there.  Haven’t done any  blood test yet, so, so far, have no idea about my CD4% and VL.
I feel like my life has stopped, and it’s falling apart, I’m scared to death, sleeping only on pills and don’t  know how to go on.  It’s really hard. 
Also, I’m very concerned about my job since I work for a company that requires me to travel outside the US almost 3 weeks per month.  Not sure if my HIV+ status will allow me to continue with this work regime. Should I start looking for a new job? Anyone has any experience to share?  Also very concerned about side effects, again because of my job, it’s sales and people might not understand if I tell them I’m HIV+.
I’m really desperate, please help me to understand what’s coming.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:00:18 pm by Japito »

Offline aliveinla

Re: I'm newly diagnosed, should I cahnge my work regime?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:37:06 pm »
Don't have much advice since I am newly diagnosed also. Just want to welcome you here, I am sure the old timers will respond soon when they see you here.

I myself travel internationally also mostly going to China and Europe. Long flights, jet lag, can be demanding on our bodies even for a neg person, so I have requested my company to reduce my travel and give to somebody else. Lucky i am not in sales and there are many other candidates in my company who love to go.

Oh, side effects, I believe you mean after you start taking meds? I believe they are very minimal. You don't have to tell anyone at work your stats.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
Right now you have allot on your plate but until more tests are done we won't know exactly where you are in the progression of the disease.  It might help to know why you went to get tested; was it part of your normal routine to get tested every six months or had it been awhile since the last last or were you not feeling so well and decided it was time for a test or were you diagnosed in a Doctor's office or hospital due to an opportunistic infection?  

I have a friend that does work for Oracle and he's been positive for several years yet he travels for his company to the likes of China every year with no problems.  

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:48:37 pm »
As far as relating to work and telling anyone you are positive, on one hand if you work for a fairly large progressive company your being positive might not be seen as a negative yet with a number of other companies it might raise reds flags and make for very difficult working situation. 

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:43:44 am »
For now I would suggest you take your time getting things into your head, how you are feeling now can completely change when you get to appreciate your status better.  You can still work the same job same hours only if it doesnt put any extra strain on you and if you feel ok.  What you have to understand is, its how you handle yourself and nobody will know your status unless you tell them.  Go out and do your sales job, after all you are not selling HIV so that has nothing to do with your customers.  As for travelling it will depend on how your body copes with long flights most countries in Europe will not even ask for your status so you should be able to travel without any problems. 
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline germangirl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:56:48 am »
I`ve just read a list about HIV and travelling restrictions beause we were planning our summer holidays.

Beside the USA (no problem for you, it`s your home country only the Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Sudan require an negative HIV test for the entry.
In Iraq they seem to test everybody at the frontier, if you come out positive they`ll send you back. What a dammed place, who wants to go there?

All other countries don`t have restrictions for short time visa.

Regarding your physical situation you should wait and see, how your body handles it. It depends on you, everybody is differtent. There are negative people also who couldn`t do your work cause travelling would stress them too much.
I think HIV will not influence your physical condition that much, at least in the first years. Some people I know from the German forum are over 20 years positives and still working, some of them in different shifts.

Eres el aire que respiro,
Eres el compania de mi soledad,
Eres el luz que me ilumina,
Eres el camino en la oseuidad.
Dedicated to my husband

My husband is positive, I am negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 10:17:19 am »
Japito, please slow down. Take some good deep slow breaths, in and out. I mean it. Right now. And do that whenever you find yourself feeling tense and anxious. It really helps.

You don't have to rush and resolve everything in your life all at once. IF you get a confirming positive diagnosis it is important for you to make sure you have a doctor whom you can work with and who will be regularly monitoring your numbers. As far as work and other matters you have raised, you need to take your time before making decisions and taking actions. Make note of questions you have for your doctor so that you don't have to depend on your memory whenever you get together.

We're glad you have found your way here. You can get support and useful information from those who have been where you are now and made it through and continuing on with their lives. Right now it may feel like all your life is about, but gradually you will see that HIV is going to be a something in your life, an important something,but by no means all that your life is or will be about.

You're always welcome here to ask questions or to discuss anything that's on your mind. Read the lesson on disclosure as well as some of the others which I think you will find helpful.

And remember that breathing.

Welcome,   
Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:30:02 am »
If you are one of the lucky few you will have received a false positive.

Offline Japito

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:53 am »
Thank you very much to all of you, I'm very glad I found this website.
I haven't told anyone yet, so guys, you're my support network and everything you say it's really appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:54:38 am »
We're glad to be here for you. Hang in there. Life does and will go on.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Japito

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:01:57 pm »
Guys, I'm not one of the few lucky ones as someone said before; I got the results for my 2nd test and it came positive as well. I'm very scared, what's next?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:16:32 pm »
Japito, as Andy said, slow down.  Nothing has to be all tidied up in a few days' time.  Not even a lot of days' time.  You have time.

When I was first diagnosed in 1989, I was in a treatment center.  Back then, they didn't have all the new-fangled meds they do now.  And yes, I did almost die, a few times.  Hence, my memorial services were all paid for by a dear aunt years ago.  But, I haven't used them yet. 

Get into a good doctor, get the normal labs to see where you're at, and learn how to live each day for what it is-one day.  Get some support, maybe through a support group, a good therapist (contact your local ASO i.e. Aids Service Organization, or ask your doctor for a referral).  Don't try to go it alone.  We're always here, also.

This is the best advice I can give.  I hope you find your way through.  It's a process, a process.  Don't over-worry.  As the old saying goes 'Rome wasn't built in a day' and all that.  Good wishes to you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline hudstar

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:53 am »
Hey Japito, I've been poz since 1988. I vaguely remember my seroconversion and it does pass. I guess time does not change the shock of a poz result or does it change how we react so I cannot tell you any right way on how to deal with it. I know the waiting for confirmation is the worst and plays on your mind. If it helps, in bad situations I tell myself every second is going to pass regardless of what I am experiencing so I try to make each second easier as I know another will come to take its place :) If you do test HIV poz, you have many pills out on the market that have already been tested and proven to be working so the likelyhood of you becoming ill is much narrower than it was over the last decade. I remember a time we had no pills and HIV was a death sentence. You do not have to face that.  I do know stress can play havoc on HIV, make you tired and cause pain - I once thought those elemants were part of my virus working on me yet over the years I learnt how much stress dictates your sense of well-being. I guess you will take your own journey to learn about your own body and HIV. As for travel, I travel with work often and to many countries. Unless you are going to Arabic countries your HIV status is no problem. For me America is the only country that causes me some concern as I pass through it often. It is the only "democratic" country in the world with a ban on HIV non Americans so reality is you will never experience that issue. As for other issues you may come across, all I can tell you is there are laws written and there are those laws we hold as personal views to guide us between right and wrong - sometimes you got to break those written laws in the face of personal justice and freedom.  Depending on your country and culture - most laws protect us from discrimination so you will continue being OK. My advice is if you enjoy your job, stick to it, HIV does not remove things you enjoyed pre - diagnosis. Depending on what type of personality you have, being HIV can also define what is important to you and I guess that is another journey you will take. Good luck and don't too be too hard on yourself, you have a long life to live and a career to follow OK.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:06:52 pm by hudstar »
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline mebrewster

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:10 am »
For now I would not change anything.  You will not have any problems entering those countries that do not allow those who are HIV positive to enter as long as you are not carrying any HIV medications with you.  It is after you start HIV treatment you need to check on the list of countries that do not allow entry to those who are HIV positive, and if you go to those countries often with you job, then you might need to think of changing jobs or tranfering to a different area within the same business because you can not just go without taking your medications for the time of your trip just so not to have medications with you so you can enter the country without problem.
Michael Brewster

Offline water duck

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:46:55 pm »
Unless your status is confirmed in a hospital with a ELISA & WESTERN BLOCK

there is always still room for doubts.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »
Hudstar & Waterduck, Japito said his 2nd test also came back positive.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline sanitex

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 03:20:00 am »
H! from sanitex.
                      japito,do not worry about your job or anything else,try to meet your ID doc concerning your hiv status he/she will direct you what to do next.
i was diagnosed last year december 27 and i feel like i'll die next day even i cannot go for my business but, when i found this webside i began to encourage myself.what i want you to know is that people in this forum use to help a lot more the docs.but i still waitting for my viral load result next week to know my condition in travling.so i wish you fast recoverying,
my no ,cd4 20 vl 1000000,but am looking healthy no body knows my status only my sister.
27/12/07 cd4 20 vl 1m
10/4 /08 cd4 86 vl 63
1/7/08  cd4 186 vl un
16/10/08 cd4 196 vl un
23/1/09 cd4 248 vl un
10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
13/12/11 cd4 410 vl un 23%
24/2/12 cd4 545 vl un 26%
22/2/12 chge trv to Recovir-em.10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
7/7/12 cd4 359 vl <40 22%
23/8/12 cd4 400 vl <40 23%,
testosterone test 7.5 ng/ml and
thyroid (TSH)1.32 ml.
13/12/2012 cd4 523 24% vl <40
18/3/2013 cd4  513  23% vl <40
03/8/2013 cd4 429 22% vl <40
13/11/2013 cd4 455 23% vl <40
Anti-HBs testquantitative Anti-HBs pos
Titer 16.95 mlu/ml <10.00
22/3/14 cd4 396 vl <40 24%
24/7/14 tevir
24/9/14 cd4 517 vl <40 22%
16/3/15 cd4 545 vl  85 24%
12/4/16 cd4 626 vl <40 25%
16/8/16 cd4 396 vl <40 27% changNVP/recovir-em 22/7
8/12/16 cd4 511 vl ud 23%
5/6/16 cd4 688 vl ud %27
17/9 /20  chng TLD

Offline hudstar

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 07:30:06 am »
Hudstar & Waterduck, Japito said his 2nd test also came back positive.

Our mistake. In response to Japito's confirmed diagnosis, sad news. I guess he will be seeing his health professionals for sound advice.

I would like to add on to mebrewster's comment about travel and HIV pills. Myself and others with HIV pass through countries often carrying our pills. Get a letter from your doctor stating you are having pills for your well being (or whatever) and then disguise your pills in vitamen bottles. You do not need to change jobs because of your pills and like I said before, only Arabic countries and the USA hold such bans. Good luck Japito, I think you will be fine but it takes time to adjust.
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline Japito

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 01:37:49 pm »
Guys, I've just came back from Trinidad & Tobago, went there on business with my boss.  It was tough, couldn't sleep very well, and I think everybody noticed I wasn't to concentrated on the business meetings, just was thinking about the disease and how I going to deal with it.  I hope all these feelings will go away or mitigate at some point in my future live.
Today went to schedule an appointment with a doc, that someone recommended, will know on Tuesday if he'll be able to treat me.
Thank you one more time for your support.

Offline Japito

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 11:32:36 pm »
Hi, I had a tough time last week; I was so depressed that had to move with a friend for a while. I guess depression is part of package, like someone told me before.
Last Tuesday, I went to my first doctor's appointment and they took the first tests, will get the results on Apr. 8 th.  I'll keep you posted guys and thank you.

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 01:01:16 am »
See you've made it past the 1st couple of steps, you are going to find a Dr. you can trust...a Dr. that's listens and a Dr. that talks so that you can understand.  It can take some time before this isn't always so front and center, all the information so overwhelming, a bit like your first days of college or a new job...(ah man what was I thinking, I will never figure out all this info or where all these classes are.) but in time you and your body will again get back in the groove.   You will do all right.

Offline Japito

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »
Got my first results, VL 7080, CD4 484, 26.9%.
My doc said not to bad, and recommended a new set of tests in 3 weeks before making any decision about starting on meds; also, he said we'll need to review the drug resistance test which we'll have by then.
Any advice or comment? Should I start on meds right away?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 04:53:24 am »
Hi Jap,

Your numbers are great - no way would I start treatment with numbers like those. Hang in there for your next result. Chances are good they'll be even better as you seem to be dealing with a new infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »
I agree with Ann, Jap.  Given your recent diagnosis, I expect your numbers to (probably) improve.  Personally I wouldn't start meds with those numbers.

Offline Japito

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:08 pm »
Thank you Ann & Bettytacy for your advices.  I'm scheduled for Apr. 28th for the next run of tests, we'll see what results I get, hopefully they'll improve. Keep you posted. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.