Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Chlamydia Trachomatis vs HIV window period  (Read 15424 times)

Offline chlamydia

Chlamydia Trachomatis vs HIV window period
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:56:01 am »
Hi expert,

Please forgive my poor English. I am a 26 year old male. I have encountered unprotected virginal sex with an unknown status woman on Jan 5, 07. I have went to get a STD test after 8 weeks, details as below:

TREP.p Ab for Syphilis - Non-Reactive

HIV Ag/Ab Combo ci 8200 - Seronegative

C.trac.,N.gon./DNA Amp.
Neisseria gonorrhoeae - Negative
Chlamydia trachomatis - Positive

HSV II Ab ELISA - Seronegative:Less than 20 RU/ml

Questions:
1. I was infected with Chlamydia trachomatis. I wonder whether Chlamydia infected will delay my HIV window period.
2. My Doc gave me two kind of medicine for Chlamydia, one is Cevit and the other is Antibiotic. It takes two weeks to finish it. I wonder if the medicine will delay my HIV window period
3. Can Chlamydia be treated completely? 
4. What generation is and How confident is for a 8 weeks test with HIV Ag/Ab Combo ci 8200

I will do a HIV test again at 13weeks, I am very scare now, please help. Thank you to you all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Chlamydia Trachomatis vs HIV window period
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:33:00 am »
Chlamydia is not an HIV-specific illness. It happens both to those who are HIV negative as well as sometimes to those who are HIV positive.It can be persistent, so make sure your doctor stays on top of this with you.

Neither your having it nor having it treated will affect the accuracy of your HIV test results.

A negative test result at 8 weeks is more than encouraging. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So a negative at 8 weeks all but ensures that you will continue to test negative again at 13 weeks. And yes, you should re-test at 13 weeks just to be sure.

You do need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with as many partners as you like and with whomever you like. BUT, you must use a latex condom everytime. No exceptions, no matter what you think you know about the other person or how great they look or anything else. A condom is a must.

Good luck with your re-test. I expect you will come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:44:17 am »
What are the chances of getting HIV as I know that HIV is much easlier to be transmitted if other STDs are present. Help!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:59:38 am »
chlam,

With that eight week negative under your belt, you are very unlikely to have been infected with hiv, as Andy told you. You do need to confirm that result at three months, but I'm fully expecting another negative result.

Also, as Andy told you, neither the chlamydia nor the antibiotics will have any effect on your hiv test results.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start - consider your recent check-up the first of many. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:20:05 pm »
Is a 12 weeks test conclusive? There are many different standard out there: 6 months? 3 months? 90 days? 12 weeks, 13 weeks?

If I get a 12 weeks test, will it be conclusive? Can I put it behind and move on?
Any statistic tells how reliable is for a 8 weeks negative result?

Further more, anybody knows is there window period for Chlamydia trachomatis because my gf get tested for Chlamydia but I afraid she is in the window period (Chlamydia) which makes the result not reliable/ conclusive.

Thank you to you all in advance!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:58:14 pm »
Clamydia is easy to treat and you will be fine. 13 weeks will be a good time for an hiv test. Don't panic, but take your test and let us know we'll be there to celebrate your negative status and we'll be there if you turn out positive too and help you deal with it. The good thing is that you care and do the tests early. I'm sure u'll be fine :) In any case try to tell your partner, maybe he/she doesn't know!!
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:21:55 am »
Chlam,

The official window period in the US is thirteen weeks, but it's twelve in the UK and most of Europe - and they use the same tests as in the States. Twelve or thirteen, it doesn't really matter, either one is conclusive. Your eight week negative is highly unlikely to change.

Chlamydia can be tested for around ten days to two weeks after an exposure, or sooner if symptoms such as painful urination or an odd discharge occur. I believe most places use a urine test now days for chlamydia.

I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative for hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:58:11 pm »
Hi all, I am really really stupid. I have sex with a sex worker in China while in the treatment of Chlamydia Trachomatis (10 days after the first time i took the antibotics, I don't know whether I was recovered after taking 10/14 days of antibotics)

I had put the same condom on for oral (2 to 3 mins) and virginal intercourse (around 30 seconds). Oral first then intercourse. Here is my concern:

1.   Is it a risk using the same condom for oral and intercourse because I have read some heath websites said that teeth may damage the condom with some non-visible tiny holes. You guys have been telling many many times here that if a condom breaks/have tiny holes, you would have notice that because the condom will break obviously/completely if it really breaks. But I also read some post from this forum saying that they have found a hole on the condom after intercourse but the condom didn't break. One say he put some water in the condom after sex and the water leaks out from a tiny hole and he even do an experiment by using a needle making a tiny non-visible hole on a condom and put some water in, the condom still doesn't break while the water is leaking out. The other said he found a 1cm x 1cm on the condom after virginal intercourse. Again, the condom didn't break even it has a 1cm x 1cm hole on it. I am very very worry if there is a tiny little hole on my condom damaged by her teeth during the oral sex which is not visible. I have checked the condom with my eye only after the intercourse and didn't see any thing leaking out but it might because of the tiny hole is not big enough for the fluid leaks out or it is not obvious to see the very very little among fluid leaking out because of the hole is too small. Help I am very worry now.

2.   I didn’t know what condom she put on me. I am quite concern on the quality of the condom because I am pretty sure it is a China brand condom which I think the quality is not very good. (Maybe I am not confident with all china made product) Also, I am not sure if it is a latex or lambskin condom! I wonder is it common to use a lambskin condom nowadays? Is a lambskin condom cheaper than a latex condom? I am thinking of this because she may not be well educated on HIV, and doesn’t know lambskin condom cannot prevent HIV to transmit.

3.   I am very worry now because if the condom DO have tiny non-visible holes on it and given that she is HIV+, then my chance of getting HIV must be very very high because I may still having Chlamydia Trachomatis NOT treated by that time!
4.   The day after (about 15 hours later), I started to develop flu like symptoms with dry throat and running nose and almost recovered by today (3 days). I know this may due to other common illness but according to the lesson from this website it said “In rare instances they may occur within a few days after the exposure has taken place”. I am afraid I am one of the rare instances…….
5.   From what I have stated above. Do you think a HIV test is necessary? What are my chances of getting HIV? Please help!!!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 02:13:08 pm »
You were protected for sex.  This is not a risk for HIV transmission in any way.  Keep using condoms and you will be fine.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 02:10:53 am »
What I am concern is what if her teeth damage the condom with tiny non-visible hole on it when she was giving oral sex to me (according to many health websites out there, it is possible that teeth can damage the condom with some tiny non-visible holes). If the condom really has a hole on it, then I am having a high risk to pick up HIV because the chance of getting HIV infected with STD is much much higher although I am not sure whether I was recovered or not by that time......

Also the quality/brand of the condom really make me worry. I afraid she put a non qualified condom on me because i think there are many different kinds and not qualified condoms out there in China. I also afraid she put on a lambskin instead of a latex condom on me......

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:50 am »
When a condom is damaged it becomes quite clear. It's not a subtle event. It's like having a hula hoop with fringe on your penis, so forget about that microscopic hole business.

Lambskin is much more expensive than latex so the likelihood that a professional would using other than latex is extremely unlikely. You're just guessing about the quality of the condom. More useless what ifs. Professionals want to stay healthy too so if they're using condoms there's no reason to assume they are using other than latex. This is more of your headful of fears just speculating.

You've already tested negative at 8 weeks which is more than a little reassuring. Re-test at 13 weeks and collect what I fully expect will be another negative result. In the meantime stay productively busy in your life and you will find that time can pass quickly and painlessly as compared to how you are torturing yourself now (needlessly).

Andy Velez

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:00:54 am »
Dear Andy,

I was having sex with a sex worker while i am still in the treatment of Chlamydia.............. The 3 months window period have to restart again... Please read my previous post about my concern. What important here is the chance of getting HIV infected while having other STD is much much higher although I am not sure whether or not the Chlamydia has been treated by the time I have sex with the sex worker..........

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:02:24 am »
Chlam, it makes no difference if you still had chlamydia or not.  You were protected during sex.  You were not at any greater risk than the HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of others who have protected sex and do not get HIV.

The three month window does not apply to you.  It was not a risky incident.  it was a NO RISK incident.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 11:24:51 am »
AC has nailed it for you. You were not at risk during that incident. Period. Your head is just going nutz without any sound basis in HIV science. Really. 
Andy Velez

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:13:13 am »
But I also read some post from this forum saying that they have found a hole on the condom after intercourse but the condom didn't break. One say he put some water in the condom after sex and the water leaks out from a tiny hole and he even do an experiment by using a needle making a tiny non-visible hole on a condom and put some water in, the condom still doesn't break while the water is leaking out. The other said he found a 1cm x 1cm on the condom after virginal intercourse. Again, the condom didn't break even it has a 1cm x 1cm hole on it.

I wonder why their condoms did not break while there is a hole on the comdom when they are having sex? They just found it out after they have finished the intercourse......

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 12:43:27 am »
I respectfully submit that ignoring the professional risk assessment AND the transmissions lessons found on this site in favor of trawling the posts of other Worried Wells is not exactly seeking truth... closer, perhaps to seeking a validation for your fear.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 01:03:56 pm »
How is the risk when you use the SAME condom for oral and virginal intercourse. I afraid the teeth may break the condom with tiny holes which I didn't notice even I didn't see any leaking after sex.

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:45 am »
Is it possible to have symptoms/ARS in the first week? I had dry throat and running noise on the second day after a possible HIV exposure and almost recovered after one week. In the lesson of this website, it said: “In rare instances they may occur within a few days after the exposure has taken place”. I am afraid I am one of the rare instances…….

Offline chlamydia

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 12:28:32 pm »
Anybody hear me?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 12:33:50 pm »
We hear you but you don't seem to be listening to us.

You've already been told you weren't at risk during this incident.

Get it? NO RISK for HIV transmission. How much clearer can we be about that?

If you are having symptoms that worry you discuss them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.